MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, 'kay?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, '

Postby radboy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:...

Like I said, some people don't have any sense of self knowledge.
radboy
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:Admittedly, most of those people think our policy and madison.com's are interchangeable, based on Brenda's less-than-illuminating report and the text accompanying the petition, quoted at the top of this thread.

She won't tell whether she simply doesn't know the differences between policies or if she doesn't care.

But the fact that she includes Tom Powell's name above absolutely makes my week.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3528361/detail.html

I find it ironic that Konkel blames posts by one of Powell's co-conspirators (the foron who called himself Daisy) for uncivility (towards her) on this board.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brenda Konkel's real-name campaign

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I get a feeling Brenda enjoyed posting here again.

Excellent observation, Bwis.

Brenda, my biggest gripe with your misguided clean-up-the-forums campaign is that a statement like...

Brenda Konkel wrote:Many on the forum stand behind him. They want the right to anonymously talk about sucking somoene’s cock.

...grossly misrepresents the more measured and thoughtful posters on TDPF who support the ability to post under a pseudonym. (I'm not one of them—I mean, I support the policy, but I'm not measured and thoughtful.)

I value this online meeting place, and over the years I've grown quite fond of some of the frequent contributors. I don't like somebody fucking with my peeps, so your weird, self-centered, high-horse publicity dance does not sit well.

And now, if you don't mind, I've got some cock to suck.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Not to pile on, but I finally made it over to Ms. Konkel's site and was intrigued/disappointed when I clicked the link for the Joyce sucking.

Ms. Konkel: Anonymity is dead. You have won. If someone libels you, file a suit and subpoena the web host for an IP. Of course a smart place would not keep logs per policy, but that is neither here nor there.

You ask on your site, "I am curious, what’s so bad about posting with your real name? What’s to be afraid of?"

Once again, there are many reasons listed here. I propose an experiment; end every post you make with your personal cell phone number. Come back with questions.

Anyway please, do some research on this. We need advocacy.

p.s. I did not post this on your site because I object and do not comply to your policy. Sorry for the x-post Isthmus
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 pm

jjoyce wrote:I spent a little time trying to find the worst thing said about Brenda on these boards. Comparing her to a scorned mistress was all I could find.

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong, but she has simply not been defamed here. And if she has, the post has been short-lived.

I didn't try to hard and found these few things that if I had kids, would not want them to read about me. . . . and discovered there were about 1500 posts that used my name, so I didn't scour the site for too long.

Fat jokes
- Piggyback comment - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=54284&p=678863&hilit=konkel#p678863
- Mama Cass - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45146&p=565258&hilit=konkel#p565258
- Jaba the Konkel - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20566&p=269710&hilit=konkel#p269710

Here I am called a bitch
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=50097&p=623532&hilit=konkel#p623532

Here I am told "fuck . . .Brenda Konkel" and I don't even know why I got drug into that conversation
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=konkel&ch=800&start=300

Here I'm told to stick something up my ass
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42261&p=527172&hilit=konkel#p527172

Proctology remarks
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45146&p=565259&hilit=konkel#p565259

Here's a comment about having sex with me and/or Judy Compton
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20903&p=291882&hilit=konkel#p291882

I'm not sure what to say about this
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=21841&p=291191&hilit=konkel#p291191

A ton of Radboys comments are removed. I notices in some other particularly heated threads there were many other remarks removed as well.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 am

Okay, let me know if I have this straight? By using a common name as a user name I have jeopardized those who have this name. Therefore I have sinned. Perhaps user I.D.'s should be your social security number (or some other proof of citizenship).

Oh crap did it just step into the territory of Godwin's law? I think I might have.

Discussion good, no matter what your user name.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:41 am

Brenda, I appreciate much of what you've done for Madison. You are a feared & revered prickly pear <slash> squeaky wheel. So what's with this strange narcissistic obsession with TDPF? You've got your own blog (with it's own rules). Why are you attempting to bully Isthmus? This desire to know forum identities seems counterintuitive - not what I would expect from you. Maybe you've been in the public eye for so long that you've partially forgotten the value of privacy?

Ironic as it may seem coming from my pseudonym, I do believe that unqualified potshots spewed about on an anonymous forum can be hurtful and sometimes tiptoe over the line into defamation.

I've been a member of meager standing here for a number of years. I think TDPF has been managed quite well the vast majority of the time.

Nothing really more to add. After so many pages, it's pretty much all been said by now. I see valid arguments on both sides of this.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 am

someone else wrote:Just who are "some of this message board's finest contributors" and who are "some people in their lives knowing about their hobby"?

State workers and their employers by any chance, Jason?

:shock:

The Democrats have made a federal case out of Walker supporters posting online while at work, and now you're telling me that not only are liberals doing the same thing but Isthmus is also shielding their actual identities?!
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

That was his staff not just supporters numbnuts. Hope that last word didn't hurt your wittle feewings.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Keep the anonymous names, I say. I like the freedom to make comments and post subjects as I see of interest. I don't want "Big Brother" keeping track of everything I do online. There's already too much internet tracking. The problem is some folks just go over the top and, well, some just really ARE trolls paid to push a certain agenda in any way they can. From what I've seen this forum is pretty darn good at finding and calling those out. If abusive postings occur then you need to contact the administrator and request that user is blocked.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com