MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Postby condor0523 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Rush has really gone over the line -- now it is time to make the voices heard through the pocketbook. Here is a list of national sponsors -- I will try to get you the local advertisers -- Boycott away -- can't wait for the defenders to come out of the woodwork.
http://www.topplebush.com/boycott_rush.shtml
condor0523

Re: Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 pm

I wish I could help but I never buy anything from any of his sponsors, confirmed or unconfirmed.

Not that it would do much good. Rush says and does any fucking thing he wants with no consequences. No negative ones, anyway.

He's not just slick. He's invincible. Nothing touches him. Absolutely nothing.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby condor0523 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 pm

That's what they said about John Doe -- we can only hope. As for being invincible -- still can backfire by making it a campaign issue -- would like to hear from the righty ladies to get their take!
condor0523

Postby Igor » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:10 am

rabble wrote:Not that it would do much good. Rush says and does any fucking thing he wants with no consequences. No negative ones, anyway.

To me, Rush, Bill Maher, Howard Stern, Vicki McKenna all fall in the same bucket:

- They are controversial and/or irritating by design.
- I enjoy life more if I turn the channel when they are on.
- Their platform will disappear only when their ratings go away.

As to the "no consequences" thing - it's pretty obvious that the rules for what is acceptable and what is not are absolutely all over the map these days. In some situations (the ESPN Jeremy Lin thing, for example) one comment can get you fired. In other situations, employers, the media, or the public will give a person a pass for saying much worse. You are almost better off if you have a history of saying outrageous crap - it's like you get a pass then.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 am

Demands for Limbaugh's sponsors to pull their ads from his show rocketed through cyberspace, and at least four companies, Quicken Loans, LegalZoom online legal document service, and bedding retailers Sleep Train and Sleep Number, bowed to the pressure.

I'm not a huge fan of boycotts, often because I don't necessarily think that advertisers are even implicitly supporting the programming where they place their advertising. They're about numbers... x number of people listen to this show, we'll pay x number of dollars to advertise there. The show could be nothing but dogs farting to background music and if enough people listen, advertisers will follow.

But if advertisers find the programming truly offensive they may, out of principle, refuse to advertise there. I'm fine with that. Rush has been talking about his wonderful Sleep Number bed for years, but he really stuck his foot in it with women on this one and let's face it, women usually select the bed.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 am

Oh, and from my occasional forays into the inanity that is Rush Limbaugh, one of his most common local advertisers is some Middleton law firm that specializes in representing men in divorce proceedings. 'Nuff said.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 am

Wasn't it the sleep number that started this whole thing? :roll:
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 am

Yeah, Rich. Because women turn into total sluts when they get anywhere near a bed. Maybe those prostitutes wouldn't need so many subsidized contraceptives if they'd just spend more time vacuuming and baking cookies. And for god's sake, if I'm forced to pay for them to be such sluts, I deserve some video footage of their slutiness.

The media, and now the President, are clearly being too hard on Rush. Sure, the vast majority of Americans think Rush is an asshole for saying such things, but amongst the most important Demographic (moronic assholes who get all their news from Rush Limbaugh), he hit a home run.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 am

Have to agree with PJ; ol' Rush sure Fred Clark'd this one.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 am

So when they removed your funny bone, did it hurt or tickle?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:51 am

So what's with this strange narcissistic obsession with Rush? You've got your own forum (with it's own rules) right here. Why are you attempting to bully Limbaugh?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:41 am

No one seems to be defending Rush Limbaugh's personal attack on the Georgetown law school student who testified to Nancy Pelosi's committee on how she needed financial aid for purchasing contraceptives. I think most people agree with me that the decent thing for him to do now would be to apologize for calling her a slut and a prostitute and jokingly suggesting that she publicly post video of herself having sex.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am

Or alternatively, he could diminish, go into the west and remain Rush.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:59 am

Meade wrote:No one seems to be defending Rush Limbaugh's personal attack on the Georgetown law school student who testified to Nancy Pelosi's committee on how she needed financial aid for purchasing contraceptives. I think most people agree with me that the decent thing for him to do now would be to apologize for calling her a slut and a prostitute and jokingly suggesting that she publicly post video of herself having sex.

I kinda like Santorum's non-defense: "It's absurd but entertainers do that sort of thing."

It's cute, is it not, how Rush becomes an entertainer when he needs defending and a voice for the patriots when it better suits the purpose of the hour.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 pm

"It's cute, is it not, how Rush becomes an entertainer when he needs defending and a voice for the patriots when it better suits the purpose of the hour."

John Stewart.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government