MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bands- How do you promote online these days?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Bands- How do you promote online these days?

Postby brentron909 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Dear local musicians,

How do you promote yourselves online these days? I know the Daily Page's hype exchange is pretty sweet, but beyond that I am at a bit of a loss. I am in a new-ish band and I'm looking to connect with local fans, put something online for potential venue managers and/or bookers to look at, and basically have something decent looking that contains audiovisual media pertaining to my musical ensemble.

I should mention- the last time I was in a band just starting out, people still used Friendster to communicate online, The Liquid Lyrics Lounge was still in business, and iPods were handheld bricks with black and white LCD screens. So, needless to say, I have some catching up to do.

For a while there, Myspace was kind of the catchall for online music promo, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Also, the big social media go-to, Facebook, has a lousy interface and isn't really set up for this sort of thing. So what's your band's preferred method of online promo? Do you have a blog? Twitter account? Tumblr page?

Or perhaps there's some sort of offline backlash happening and you collect names and addresses for your fans, and mail a CD and poster to venues...?

Thanks,
bpm
brentron909
Forum Addict

Re: Bands- How do you promote online these days?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Facebook. Seems to be the easiest way to reach a group of people who have opted in. Website purely because it's lame not to have one. I try to drive people there but it's pretty hopeless. It's more for booking than promoting.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 am

Yeah, Facebark seems to be the way to go. It is cool that you can target your enemies with an 'event invite', which has more of a reminder quality than an email or forum posting. I do wish that their interface allowed for media uploads & downloads but understand why it doesn't. Maybe there's a way to incorporate that stuff and I simply don't know how to do it. The Reverb Nation interface is annoying and hella clunky. I quit that shit almost immediately.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:00 am

I just link regularly to the site for media. Probably would be better if integrated into Facebook. I was hoping Google+ would take off and I'd be able to invite people to events by Circle. There's just not enough people over there though and that interface, aside from circles, offers even less. Reverb Nation felt a little too paint by numbers to me. And I got sick of the invites for my cover band to play huge rock festivals in California. At gigs we'll mention our URL and ask people to find us on Facebook. They do. The website also points them back to Facebook, repeatedly.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Bandpage.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Combo of bandcamp, reverbnation, twitter, facebook and my own website. Most of which are cross-linked into each otherin various ways so I only have to post a news item to one for it to show up elsewhere.

It...it all sorta works. I mean we're not getting booking agents beating down our proverbial doors or anything. But we've tracably sold a few records via these methods, and that's good enough for me.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tully Fulton » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Tully Fulton

Return to General Music