MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Welcome Back Dog Eat Dog!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Welcome Back Dog Eat Dog!

Postby AndyMatts » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 am

workboy7 wrote:Dog Eat Dog is responsible for all food at Pooley's, catering too. Andy, I suspect your "worst wings" were served to you longer than 49 days ago, when the previous owner was in charge. In any case, please come to the kitchen next time you visit Pooley's, wings are on me. I'm very proud of how I serve classic Buffalo-style wings, and the response so far has been truly amazing.

Dog Eat Dog stands behind every item we sell. If you are unhappy with your experience, please tell me, Joe Anderson.

Yes, absolutely I am talking about wings received before you took over. I was trying to figure out whether you have also taken over the wing preparation, as well, since then.

I profusely apologize if my lack of specificity makes it look like I was complaining about the quality of food received recently.

Here's what I was after - if they still had someone else doing some of the food, including the wings, I'd stay away from them because they were so bad (the sauce was horrible).

If you took over all the food preparation, then I'm willing to try them out again, since there would have been a change from the person who made the wings I didn't like.

I was only look for a clue as to whether I should try them again, and it looks like I should.
AndyMatts

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Took the fam to Pooley's last night. Let me tell ya, Workboy7 ain't messin' around! He's making some damn good food there.

I ordered the cheese & slaw dog and the Italian beef sami. Both were really good but the slaw dog was a true knockout. Great spicy slaw, creamy cheese, poppyseed bun, and a tasty dog. The complexity of flavors exploded.
The Itailian beef was quite stacked, moist and yummy, on a (possibly beef juice-dipped?) roll. I got the giardiniera peppers on that. It was big eats. I couldn't quite finish it.
My wife got a char-grilled burger and said it was really good.
We shared an order of cheese curds. They were just how we like 'em - simple white curds with very light breading, perfectly fried.
Workboy7 stopped by to ask how the food was and introduce himself. He then came back later and graciously gave our 8 month baby an xx-small Dog Eat Dog tee shirt she'll undoubtedly grow into.
Our waitress was attentive also. We never lacked for anything. Great customer service. Prices were reasonable. Great food.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks Supaunknown, it means everything to me to make a customer happy that they spent their dollars with me. I'm doing the best I can to make every person coming through the doors happy with my exacting, rigid style of dogs and beefs, as well as my burgers, pizza and the rest of my menu. I offer this always: come try Dog Eat Dog, order whatever you'd like and if you don't like it let me know and its free. Just ask for Joe.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby AndyMatts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Our volleyball group has had the nachos (with chili), hot dogs, sandwiches, appetizers, and they've all been very positive about the quality of the food.

I also like how the waitstaff stop by and ask if the food is to our liking. Keep up the good work!
AndyMatts

Postby workboy7 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks Andy, but you didn't say what you had and if you liked it. Stick your head in the kitchen and ask for Joe next time you are playing, I'll buy lunch.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Finally got around to driving my arse out to Pooleys, and I have to say, the Italian beef is the real deal. I can barely contain my excitement about this.

Ordered giardiniera on my beef, but it came with grilled green bell pepper or some such nonsense. No worries, got the situation ironed out.

Be warned, if you order cheese fries, they come with some Merkts orange cheesestuff concoction on them. Some may enjoy it, but I am not a fan. It liken the taste and texture to Kraft mac and cheese powder in paste form. The waitress was very very nice and brought us some plain fries, and suggested we order the fries with nacho cheesestuff concoction on them next time. This I will do.

Perhaps one of these days I'll try a dog, but that would mean sacrificing valuable stomach space that could be occupied by Italian beef. I don't know, we'll see...

Best of luck, Joe!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

It's official, Dog Eat Dog is dead. While I'll still be selling the finest of dogs inside of Pooley's sports bar, a new name is needed. My former business partner has decided she badly wants the name of the business she failed at, and she has the deep pockets that lawyers adore. Come by Pooley's and see the new logo, and eat the same food, that I've always been proud to serve.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Don't sweat the loss of the name. Call it whatever you want. It's the wonderful quality of your food and service that sets you apart.

Going to Pooley's for dinner wouldn't even be considered if it weren't for the fine eats. Not that Pooley's is a bad place (their sports memorabilia collection is pretty freakin' impressive actually) but I haven't played volleyball for years, dig? It's all about the food.

I'll make a point to get back in soon. Those slaw dogs aren't gonna eat themselves.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 am

I had a damn tasty Italian Beef for lunch there last Friday and it doesn't really matter if the place is called Uncle Charlie's Nitrate Hut, I'll be back.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 am

I haven't tried anything but the Chili Cheese Dog. I always get pulled in to that when I go there. I'll have to try the Italian Beef next time.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby AndyMatts » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:11 pm

I don't think the name is going to slow you down at all. The food speaks for itself. I think you've done a great job at Pooley's, and I'm sure they're glad, as well.
AndyMatts

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Keep meaning to try a beef at Pooley's. Hard out here for a west sider.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Come out and ask for Joe, Mr. Burns....I'll buy yer first beef.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues