MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Postby condor0523 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 pm

indycoyote wrote:Meade you fucking tool- no one was buying dime bags in 1972, and certainly not for "Dead concerts". The only time anyone needs a "dime bag" is when they wanna get aroused by Althouse, and even then it surely takes more than a dime!

Dang u Madisonians are rich -- in the 70s I was looking for nickle bags --and that was for a Uriah Heep concert!
condor0523

Postby Detritus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 am

condor0523 wrote:Dang u Madisonians are rich -- in the 70s I was looking for nickle bags --and that was for a Uriah Heep concert!

Heep! I probably saw that tour myself. I just checked out the wikipedia page on them--interesting graphic to show the changes in the lineup over the years.

I doubt I was running on a dime bag--dope in Madison in those days was very cheap and very high quality. A little went a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

What was I saying?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:05 am

pjbogart wrote:Here's the audio of Rush's apology

So what do you guys say? Seem sincere?

I didn't listen. But you'll know if he's sincere, from his behavior in the future.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 am

pjbogart wrote:Here's the audio of Rush's apology

So what do you guys say? Seem sincere?

Oh, he was just acting like a liberal when he said it. I understand now.

Even by Rush's standards (whatever those are), that is pathetic. I do kind of admire him for sticking to his narrative of "I'm just fighting the big bad liberals" schtick. He and his audience love that false underdog status.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Radio stations are now starting to jettison El Rushbo.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow, up to 26 have now left.

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/03/ ... vertisers/

Rush has out done himself this time. For our conservative friends, keep in mind that Rush has said a lot of nasty things about many different people. For fuck sake, he made fun of someone with Parkinson's disease and mocked him. This time he crossed the line and people are pissed.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 pm

condor0523 wrote:I started this thread primarily based on Rush's comments. This is where Isthmus should have a thread gone wild and shut it down
I don't see anything is this thread that requires the heavy hand of a censor.

condor0523 wrote: Let’s stick the points – old trick “I know u are but what an I” so compare Jon Sterwart or Bill Maher to Rush --Stop it - I will start additional threads for Jon and Bill and u can bitch on that thread – but please don’t justify Rush’s actions based on what someone else did – be accountable.
Comparison of Limbaugh's faux pas to other pot stirrers is entirely reasonable.

condor0523 wrote: As for patronizing women – fun argument -- idiot -- the point is we realize what women go thru –
There is no "point" when it comes to people's feelings and motivations surrounding social issues, there is always a complex mix.

Just because you are really, really mad doesn't mean you are really, really right.

condor0523 wrote:see Walker’s taking apart of fair wages–
Refrain from such off topic remarks, or it may be necessary for Isthmus to shut-down "your" thread.

condor0523 wrote:Or you can start your own thread!
You kids get off my lawn!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Huckleby wrote:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/ ... _from_rush
A Statement from Rush
March 03, 2012
For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.

I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit?In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone's bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.

My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.

pretty funny. El Rushbo is doubling-down on instance that it's all about "sexual recreational activities."

Actually the part I think is funny is the "I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone's bedroom" bit. Because that was exactly what he was doing -- claiming that because he as a taxpayer might end up having some kind of infinitesimal future stake in Ms. Fluke's use of contraceptives that he therefore should have a right to intrude into her sex life. You know, the opposite of "not our business"? Frankly that's the part of the whole rant and fake-o apology that has me offended (and thinking over which embarrassing private moments of Rush's I would like to see spread all over the internet, since I have no doubt that some miniscule fraction of his millions comes from me, one way or another).

I'm surprised that folks are letting this debate be about his "choice of words" in a day and age when like the same and worse are being flung around the public sphere every day by all sides. When a rhetorician like Rush throws you a softball like that weak tea apology "for my choice of words" you should be on the lookout for the rock (and the slime) he's hoping you will overlook.

I also have to admit I find "I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke" pretty funny given that he had just spent three days attacking Ms. Fluke in an intensely personal manner, but, hey, I guess that's just me.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Up to 33 sponsors who left or have suspended their ads.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

"The 28 advertisers, at the 600+ stations, amount to virtually nothing in what is a pool of something like 18,000 advertisers at the local level. "

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2012/03/rush-limbaugh-i-have-not-lost-28.html
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"The 28 advertisers, at the 600+ stations, amount to virtually nothing in what is a pool of something like 18,000 advertisers at the local level. "

AshleyMadison.com, the dating site that helps people cheat on their significant others, has offered to buy up all of Limbaugh's existing ad inventory.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics ... ugh/49561/
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Limbaugh says don't look at me, look at the other side instead.

Rush Limbaugh ripped into President Obama on Tuesday for Mr. Obama’s comments about the Sandra Fluke “slut” controversy. He called Obama a hypocrite for criticizing his harsh words about Ms. Fluke, saying the president gives a free pass to similar language from liberals.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"The 28 advertisers, at the 600+ stations, amount to virtually nothing in what is a pool of something like 18,000 advertisers at the local level. "

Rich, as much as I enjoy your presence on the board and look forward to your cogent analysis of the issues that face our nation, I have to take issue with your post. First of all, your quote is not from Ann Althouse's brilliant and informative blog, it's from Rush Limbaugh himself. Althouse, who is both beautiful and sane, admits this in the body of her post, yet you conveniently omit it. While I understand that you had no original source to link to, as a creative and intelligent poster it would at least behoove you to disclose the source of your information. Quotes from Rush Limbaugh (defending Rush Limbaugh), aren't per se lies, but are hardly the type of independent analysis we expect at The Daily Page.

On a related note, you repeatedly link to Althouse's blog as though it were a trusted news source. To the best of my knowledge no journalists work for Ann Althouse and all of her information is gleaned from the internet, newsmedia outlets, listening to Rush Limbaugh and talking to Meade. Perhaps rather than linking to her blog you could link directly to the source of the information in the future?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm

How long until we get to start calling each other ignorant sluts again?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:50 pm

How long until we get to start calling each other ignorant sluts again?

6 hours 10 minutes.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government