MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

I AM THEE GOD

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Also, the title of this thread should read: I AM THY GOD.


Actually, it's remarkable how many ways you could fix this grammatically incorrect thread title by adding or removing just a single letter and/or punctuation mark.

    I AM THE GOD.

    I AM THEE, GOD.

    I AM THERE, GOD.

    I AM THREE, GOD.

Any others that I missed?
Last edited by kurt_w on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:55 pm

I AM THEE GOLD
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3952
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Actually, I don't think there's any way you can start a sentence with "I am thee", unless you are a conservative Quaker.

"Thee" is the objective case, while "thou" is subjective. For a transitive verb, you'd want the objective case ("I love thee, God"). But "to be" isn't a transitive verb, so you need the subjective case ("I am thou, God").

The exception -- and being the persnickety bastard that I am, I positively writhe with delight at being able to point this out -- is that, among the Religious Society of Friends, while "thee" and "thy" were preserved as part of what was called "plain speech", "thou" gradually disappeared as "thee" became standard usage for both the subjective and objective cases.[1]

So "I AM THEE, GOD" would be acceptable usage among traditionalist Quakers, if there are still any left who use plain speech. But for the rest of us, it should be "I AM THY GOD" or "I AM THOU, GOD".




[1] See: Maxfield, E.K. 1929. Quaker "Thou" and "Thee". American Speech, 4(5): 359-361.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:54 pm

kurt_w wrote:So "I AM THEE, GOD" would be acceptable usage among traditionalist Quakers, if there are still any left who use plain speech. But for the rest of us, it should be "I AM THY GOD" or "I AM THOU, GOD".


TRULY IT IS HARD TO COMPREHEND HOW I COULD EVER USE AN ARCHAIC PHRASEOLOGY. I AM ONLY AS OLD AS REALITY ITSELF.
GOD
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Also, the title of this thread should read: I AM THY GOD.


Actually, it's remarkable how many ways you could fix this grammatically incorrect thread title by adding or removing just a single letter and/or punctuation mark.


IT IS REMARKABLE HOW MANY WAYS I COULD FIX EXISTENTIALLY INCORRECT MAN BY ADDING OR REMOVING JUST A SINGLE CHROMOSOME.
GOD
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:07 pm

GOD wrote:
kurt_w wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Also, the title of this thread should read: I AM THY GOD.


Actually, it's remarkable how many ways you could fix this grammatically incorrect thread title by adding or removing just a single letter and/or punctuation mark.


IT IS REMARKABLE HOW MANY WAYS I COULD FIX EXISTENTIALLY INCORRECT MAN BY ADDING OR REMOVING JUST A SINGLE CHROMOSOME.


You can fix chromosomes, but can't fix your caps-lock key?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:15 pm

kurt_w wrote:You can fix chromosomes, but can't fix your caps-lock key?


CHILD, THIS IS NOT A "CAPS-LOCK" - THE GLORY OF MY WORD IS SUCH THAT YOUR MORTAL MIND CAN ONLY COMPREHEND IT AS SUCH.

(LOOK FIRST TO YOURSELF FOR IMPROVEMENT, BY PERHAPS CHANGING YOUR USER NAME TO A NORMAL MEDAMN CAPITALIZATION STYLE.)
GOD
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:23 pm

GOD wrote:CHILD, THIS IS NOT A "CAPS-LOCK" - THE GLORY OF MY WORD IS SUCH THAT YOUR MORTAL MIND CAN ONLY COMPREHEND IT AS SUCH.


The glory of your word looks a bit like some late-1990s loser with a WebTV client trying to post to Usenet.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:47 pm

A real god would bold his/her posts.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19888
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:20 pm

I don't know if Greek has poetic vs. familiar pronouns, but Hebrew does not -- the whole idea seems to be an invention of William Tyndale's 16th-century translation (in Hebrew, the word translated as "thou", for example, is "atah" {אתה} which simply means "you".)

So while our GOD may like to throw around thys and thees and what-have-thous, the ancient God of the Israelites* most assuredly did not.
How canst thou explainest this, GOD? Thou art either a fraud or a panderer of the highest order. Prithee, tell me which, O GOD.

*Originally known as Yahweh, which is how he was billed in the original Moses' Most-True Bible Stories, he sometimes also used the nom de dieu Adonai, which translates as "frightening man filled with barley stalks". A control-freak by nature, God eventually alienated his publisher by constantly commanding rewrites, so for the sequel, Son of Most-True Bible Stories, Yahweh found his role drastically reduced. The sequel sold poorly when originally published but has picked up quite a cult following in the centuries since. Eventually, both books were adapted for the BBC as Steptoe and Son and then for American television as The Scarecrow and Mrs. King, most notable for casting a pork pie in the role of God's child. Image
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm

I've always wondered (but was too lazy to look it up) where pork pie hats got their name. Now I know that my guess was good.

Thanks, prof.

And to keep with the drift of this discussion, the word good is derived from god. The Catholic Baltimore Catechism that I learned as a youth starts out with "God is good."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19888
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 pm

kurt_w wrote:
GOD wrote:CHILD, THIS IS NOT A "CAPS-LOCK" - THE GLORY OF MY WORD IS SUCH THAT YOUR MORTAL MIND CAN ONLY COMPREHEND IT AS SUCH.


The glory of your word looks a bit like some late-1990s loser with a WebTV client trying to post to Usenet.


I FORGIVE YOU.
GOD
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A real god would bold his/her posts.


I AM GODLY, NOT BBQ FLAVORED.
GOD
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I don't know if Greek has poetic vs. familiar pronouns, but Hebrew does not -- the whole idea seems to be an invention of William Tyndale's 16th-century translation (in Hebrew, the word translated as "thou", for example, is "atah" {אתה} which simply means "you".)

So while our GOD may like to throw around thys and thees and what-have-thous, the ancient God of the Israelites* most assuredly did not.
How canst thou explainest this, GOD? Thou art either a fraud or a panderer of the highest order. Prithee, tell me which, O GOD.


EMBRACE THE MYSTERY, BEARDED MAN-CHILD. I WAS GOD WHEN THE ISRAELITES WERE BUT A TWINKLE IN MY OMNIPOTENT, VERY CUTE BLUE EYE.

ALSO, YOU GRAMMAR GOONS ARE GETTING ME ALL WRONG - I AM USING "THEE" INSTEAD OF "THE", NOT THY; THIS IS MY WILL.
GOD
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: I AM THEE GOD

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:35 pm

THOU ART SHEPPY, aka Sheppy, aka The Shepherd. Duh; and, WORD. In the Beginning was The Word, and The WORD was Shep. Or, for those flocking together, transliterated into an Ovine Trinity: EYE [LOVE] EWE = GOD Heart [You]
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar