MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

New Orleans Take Out

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

New Orleans Take Out

Postby kissyfish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 am

Oyster PO' BOY

O'BOY was that tasty.

I keep forgetting about that place, but I always enjoy it.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: New Orleans Take Out

Postby Crockett » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:45 am

That place is a sleeper. I feel like not that many people know about it. And you're right, the oyster po'boy steals the show.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Red beans and rice. Oh, that's nice.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

I love being within easy walking distance. But I have to be careful to limit my visits - I would hate to burn out on it
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm

This thread made me hungry, so I picked up a Shrimp Po' Boy at NOTO. Sherman Ave. location, of course.

This is strange, but for some reason, every time I go there, I expect the food to not be as good as it always turns out to be. No idea why, but for this reason, it always exceeds expectations.

As a side note, if you're ever in NOLA, go to Coop's Place on Decatur. I was there in July, got the place recommended to me, and have since recommended it to anyone who will listen. Expect the bartenders/waiters to be dicks, and the food to be excellent.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Right Bower wrote:This is strange, but for some reason, every time I go there, I expect the food to not be as good as it always turns out to be. No idea why, but for this reason, it always exceeds expectations.

I've tried to figure it out too. Its an enigma.

Is it the bread? Because their bread is unique. Is it the mayo/lettuce/tomato combo? Its something, that's for sure.

It has its own taste. And a good one at that. If any other restaurant in Madison were to put a bunch of fried shrimp on a grinder/hoagie/hero it would taste like friend shrimp on bread. They work some magic.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:16 pm

I thought I read that John Roussos retired and sold the business after 25 years. If so and the food is still superior, then I'm glad the tradition continues.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Not today, but the last time I went there (maybe a month or so ago), John took my order. He seems like the kind of guy who says he's retiring/retired, but never really does.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Right Bower wrote: a side note, if you're ever in NOLA, go to Coop's Place on Decatur. I was there in July, got the place recommended to me, and have since recommended it to anyone who will listen. Expect the bartenders/waiters to be dicks, and the food to be excellent.

Coop's Place is truly great - during our four days eating our way around NOLA a year or so ago, they were the only restaurant my wife and I visited twice.

Try the rabbit jambalaya. It's good bunny.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 pm

mrak wrote:
Try the rabbit jambalaya. It's good bunny.

Right on. I got the jambalaya supreme when we were there.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Crockett wrote:I've tried to figure it out too. Its an enigma.

Is it the bread? Because their bread is unique. Is it the mayo/lettuce/tomato combo? Its something, that's for sure.

It has its own taste. And a good one at that. If any other restaurant in Madison were to put a bunch of fried shrimp on a grinder/hoagie/hero it would taste like friend shrimp on bread. They work some magic.

I think the magic is in the name, po' boy, and that it's from a New Orleans Style Restaurant. If they just called it a submarine sandwich, it wouldn't taste as good. It's either that or the Hellman's Mayo they use. The french bread is nice. It reminds me of pizza from New York. They say it's better because of New York's water.

The fried oyster po' boy is tasty but kind of expensive. It's also a little off-putting that I'm already spending $10 for a sandwich, and then they charge extra just for one of their sauces like creole, garlic or BBQ. I'd like the shrimp po' boy more if they offered them sauteed with Cajun seasonings instead of just fried; although, I understand that it makes them look bigger, which is important in the restaurant biz.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm a regular customer of their Monroe Street takeout.

I find their food to be a variable. I have to say it is never less than good, but sometimes the same dish is more excellent. I am particularly addicted to their "Deb's Barbequed Shrimp" dish. Sometimes they don't give you as much sauce, and the mix with the dirty rice is a little too dry. Other times - magnifico!

I love me their cornbread.

Soups are hit and miss, although again, the misses are decent. Their best soup IMO is clam chowder, either New England or Manhattan, but they seem to be serving fish chowders instead lately. Does anybody like that Gator Gumbo? I found it a bit severe. The cheese soups are a little too rich, I suppose that's the point, they do spice them nicely.

The blackened catfish - excellent!

Shrimp Etouffe - delicous, and the one dish on their menu hot enough to get me excited.

Of the sandwiches - O.K. I'll call them "Po Boys" - the BBQ beef is my favorite.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews