MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Flax Seed

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Flax Seed

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 am

So I bought some ground flax seed to add to my food. Can anyone recommend how to make this taste good? I tried it with breakfast cereal and it made the cereal taste like crap. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Re: Flax Seed

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am

Try adding it to your pancake mix.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:30 am

Words I thought I'd never say: Meade is pretty spot-on here.

Flax Seed doesn't have a real nice taste, but is very unobtrusive when used in baking. I don't like pancakes myself, but it's also good in bread (both normal and savory, like banana bread), waffles, etc. I've even made granola a few times and adding it there works pretty well too.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am

I sprinkle it on my hot oatmeal and can't say I've ever even noticed it was there, flavor-wise.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I sprinkle it on my hot oatmeal and can't say I've ever even noticed it was there, flavor-wise.

This got me thinking - is Jademan using golden flax or dark flax? (The tastes are somewhat different - golden tends to be more nutty, whereas dark tends to be more bitter.)

Also, for direct application, I'd recommend grinding it up in a coffee grinder. It's supposed to make it easier for your bod to get the nutritional benefit and it's no doubt less obtrusive texture-wise.

(For some reason, I found the phrase "hot oatmeal" hilarious. Possibly too much coffee.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 am

rrnate wrote:golden flax or dark flax?
I guess I didn't even realize there were two varieties.

For comparison, I use this stuff. Also, I don't use anywhere near the 2 tablespoons they recommend. More like 2 teaspoons worth. I don't eat it as a primary source of anything, it's just a healthy supplement to my already healthy and delicious hot oatmeal. (So hot. And steamy.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am

Add to shakes. Yogurt>frozen fruit>protein powder>flax
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Ugh... did flaxseed for about 6 months all kind of ways and then found better alternatives. You looking for the omega benefits? Fiber? If that's your biggest concerns try what I'm doing.

I get it done mostly through food now. For the past few years now they've been plumping chickens up with flaxseed.

My breakfast:

1 - 2 cup bowl Kashi GoLean (the red box!) with skim milk and the China cinnamon from Penzey's liberally sprinkled on top.
2 - Soft boiled eggs.
1 - Banana
1 - Culturelle Probiotic (screw the Greeks and their yogurt)
2 - Capsules high potency fish oil (refrigerate these!)
24 - Ounces of water with REAL lemon juice mixed in (I sprinkle Stevia in to sweeten).
1 - B - Complex Veggie Cap

The fiber and protein alone in the GoLean make it a quick and easy option for me when I have scarce time in the mornings.

Mid-morning snack:

Roughly 2 ounces roast chicken seasoned with rosemary and cayenne. Workout. Post-workout whey protein isolate shake (skip Ned's yogurt (greek I'm assuming) and frozen fruit smoothies... pointless calories for my regimen). I mix the sugar-free vanilla protein powder with double strength brewed coffee (like Starbucks does for their iced drinks).

Throw ice and cinnamon in the shake with a splash of Torani Sugar-Free Irish Cream syrup and splash of skim milk (my choice, you can experiment, Torani has tons of good SF flavors). Kill that in less than a minute to speed recovery to muscle fibers you have just DESTROYED. The caffeine seems to help this despite my having no evidence (maybe similar to why Excedrin uses caffeine?).

My lunches and dinners and later snacks vary widely (protein bars, jerkies, apples, etc) but your first thing in the morning meal matters most anyway. Eat immediately in the morning.

Just the above is enough to kick the flax. Well, for me anyway. And I was glad to. If you're using the flax for another reason you just need to suck it up and get it down.

When I got serious about my health years ago it meant eating and drinking things that, at the time, I didn't always care for. You just make up your mind to do it... and then just do it.

Nike nailed it head on in that regard.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:46 pm

I did some serious dieting a few years back. I had a salad for lunch every day, and just put the flaxseed on there. I didn't mind the taste personally, at least eaten that way.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I sprinkle it on a lot of stuff---cereal and salads especially. My brother makes muffins. I've never experienced any bad taste from any flax seed product.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as what kind of flax seed I have it just says "organic cold-milled flax seed". It was recommended for the Omegas since I don't eat fish or seafood.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Whole flax seeds are hard to digest. To be blunt, they come out the same way they came in. They really should be ground up if you want any benefit out of them. If you have a coffee grinder, that works best, a food processor works OK, or a blender is better than nothing.

As far as taste, if you make your own bread or muffins, those are good items where flax seeds can be incorporated. I've mixed it in with fruit yogurt, but there's still a slight taste of flax. Never tried it in oatmeal, but that sounds like a good idea.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:49 pm

I mix ground flax seed with oat bran, soy powder and ground almonds and put a teaspoon in my smoothies. The fruit, honey and juice mask the taste quite effectively.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:26 pm

The whole time you're eating it, remember flax seed is where they get linseed oil. That's why it tastes like paint.

Enjoy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:The whole time you're eating it, remember flax seed is where they get linseed oil. That's why it tastes like paint.

Touché, that is very funny. But there is a difference between ground flax seed and boiled (activated) linseed oil. I have prepared wood finishes with the latter.

There is a tricky balance when introducing ground flax into recipes. Start by replacing 25% of the fat by volume with the ground seed, see how it goes. Even better, in my experience one can produce tasty baked goods when over half of the fat called for by the recipe is substituted by apple sauce. Either way, introducing flax seed will turn many off if its presence is escalated too quickly.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Catch All