MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

I don't need this kind of crap

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: I don't need this kind of crap

Postby Crow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 pm

We're all victims. Meade is terribly, horribly, insanely dull. It hurts.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Meade wants to spins this 180 degrees and make himself the victim. It's his usual m.o.

How am I a victim? Victim of what? I'm not a victim.
But I'm sure as hell not a victimizer either.
Try to understand this concept, Henry: There is no victim.

Aw. You poor little fella. Now I see how above all this you really are.

It's shameful and puzzling how people can't see that you're just like everyone else, and that everything you said and did, someone has done before, and anyway, Jason sucks at moderating.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:Fist: You freely and eagerly engage in the mud throwing around here. You're as crass as anyone and parrot talking points with the best of them. Also, you've never met a troll you didn't want to engage.

Trolls and their clicks help put a roof over your head. So go easy on the righteousness.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:38 pm

The truth: we're all the same, really, in that none of us has anything better or more important to do than visit here and post, some more (or in Meade's case, much more) than others.

Don't cry for me, Foron-tina.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Maybe forums inevitably become something of a hockey team. For example, Kurt gets to be the goalie. He's the anchor that makes sure no bullshit ends up in our net. Sno gets to be a center or left wing, Jason is the ref and Fisti and I are those bumbling brutes that get sent onto the ice just to pound the holy living shit out of someone, even if it means sitting in the penalty box for a few minutes.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm

I can live with that analogy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Quite honestly, I wasn't insulted by Meade's remark because whenever he runs out of ideas, he either gets self-righteous or personal. So I figured we'd run him out of ideas (again). And it was obvious he'd crossed a line, and obvious he was going to get called out for it.

When, oh when, will we get a conservative poster who actually tries to discuss topics with his/her brain engaged? Why this endless parade of morans?

Somehow I feel it's mirrored in the Republican presidential primaries, where sane, responsible adult candidates have been MIA this year. In that case, it's the nature of the primary electorate in a number of states. But here, on this forum? We'd actually engage with someone who took ideas seriously, wasn't on a self-directed mission to be as pointlessly annoying as possible, and didn't have a meltdown every time someone called him on an unsupported factoid.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 pm

snoqueen wrote:When, oh when, will we get a conservative poster who actually tries to discuss topics with his/her brain engaged? Why this endless parade of morans?

I can answer that. Never. Create a sockpuppet named "neeuqons" and spend a few days being the devil's advocate. On a few topics you might do all right, but for the most part you'll be stuck defending the indefensible. Care to make the case for Rick Santorum being a brilliant statesman? Maybe you'd like to defend Rush Limbaugh's comments. Or claim that FoxNews is fair and balanced?

These guys have a tough job, sno. Cut 'em some slack.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm

kurt_w wrote:I've got better things to do with my life than respond to juvenile trolling like this.

When you say "better things to do with your life than respond", you mean "start a whole new thread to whine about getting your feelings hurt"?

This is taking the whole "I'm telling everyone I have you on ignore, but I'm still going to talk shit about you" tactic to an entirely new level.

EDITED TO REMOVE OFFENDING CONTENT (Not that I saw anything wrong with using one of the emoticons that are offered to us, but if the board administrator is making their entire reply about one little thing then obviously it isn't just a little thing to them. Since it is a big deal, perhaps someone who knows something about programming can figure out how to remove the option for emoticons from this board.)
Last edited by Peanutbutter on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 pm

jjoyce wrote:The truth: we're all the same, really, in that none of us has anything better or more important to do than visit here and post, some more (or in Meade's case, much more) than others.

Don't cry for me, Foron-tina.

Top notch JJ - It's Fitzwalkerstan vs. Forontina.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Fist: You freely and eagerly engage in the mud throwing around here. You're as crass as anyone and parrot talking points with the best of them. Also, you've never met a troll you didn't want to engage.

That's just like your opinion man. I doubt my fellow forons think as little of me as you seem to. It still doesn't justify a separate set of standards. Keep singling me out if you need a scapegoat for your piss poor forum management. I can take it.

I appreciate fisti's posts; I admire them in certain respects. Like gargantua the other day he puts himself out there - "I hate Republicans, period".

That's more honest than Sno and her "thoughtful", aka long-winded posts that somehow always end with a bitter recrimination against Governor Walker. Kurt - definitely a smart guy but he's gone off the edge a few times too.

I always thought this was a beautiful post. The Sno we have now could not make this post.

snoqueen wrote:A free public library may seem symbolic (and antiquated) to some, but it's more than a symbol. I like the democratic nature of a library. You see well-dressed people arrive in big SUVs, you see poorly-dressed people arrive off the bus or trudging along on foot. Everyone sits down together, everyone can use the same materials, everyone is treated the same by the librarians -- and that is not a minor point.

There's something totally fair and evenhanded about a good librarian that makes a big statement. Anybody's concern is worthy of attention, anybody's question is worth answering. Nobody can pay for a seat or service ahead of anybody else. Instead we're all paying, each according to our means, for this incredibly rich public -- that is, common -- resource.

A good library, good parks, a public basketball court or baseball diamond -- these are features of a high-quality city where each resident and guest gets a chance to enjoy what we have without owning anything in particular. People just have to show up and take turns, act right, follow a few rules. This is civic life,and there's a lot more to it than everybody just having their own Kindle.

And as for Meade - I once called him a Cylon. That seems about right. But I won't throw out the baby with the spilled milk.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm

You know what's awesome? Emoticons.

Sincerely,
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

jjoyce wrote:You know what's awesome? Emoticons.

Sincerely,

:shock:
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 pm

These guys have a tough job, sno. Cut 'em some slack.

You know, you might have a good point (even if you didn't mean to).

In a way politics is like religion -- people pick something to believe in and it doesn't necessarily make sense to anyone else. And I know how to handle religious stuff for the most part. I leave it alone (with exceptions for entertaining on-line argumentation) and I can sometimes use my bred-in-the-bone bilingualism to translate various thoughts into different wordings.

I don't know if this would be possible with politics, but the concept is interesting. I feel like the conservatives around here desperately want 1) something to believe in, something that will save them from whatever dangers they perceive around them; and 2) somebody to respect them. Maybe that's what all people want.

Anyone reading here can easily see proving them wrong point by point (the way we can try to do with biblical literalists, for instance) doesn't get anyplace. They just come back with another crazy talking point the next day and we're back to square one.

Are there neutral grounds for sociability online? I sure don't know. This is a print medium. We're here to discuss ideas. It's not a soccer field where two teams can play one another and not even speak the same language.

I can't be dishonest and get all cozy around people in a format where the ideas they entertain are the very contents of our relationship, and their particular ideas are both factually wrong and morally odious to me. If that's why I've lost bdog here, at least it's for an honest reason. I believe what I write and I try to make it supportable in terms of reality, and apparently our realities have diverged.

I wouldn't feel morally respectable pretending something serious like watching our elected officials completely disregard democratic principles in the legislative process is all right with me. That's a big deal, something fundamental to our belief we can affect and improve our own well-being and that of others through civic participation. At some point we can throw up our hands and walk off, hoping for the best but washing our hands of it in terms of collective effort. In my everyday life I probably do this more often than I like to admit. Around here at least I try.

What more can I say? It's not personal, if that helps any.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Detritus wrote:
jjoyce wrote:You know what's awesome? Emoticons.

Sincerely,

:shock:

:?
:P
:oops:
:roll:
:idea:

Sorry, they were all right there to choose from.

This forum is apparently...so 1992...
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com