MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mobile food vendor event

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Mobile food vendor event

Postby john_titor » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Recently, Mayor Paul Soglin has been investigating whether there's a way to bring some of Madison's best food carts to various spots around town for food-centered neighborhood events.
Mobile food vendor event in planning stages for Madison neighborhoods
Good food = good neighborhoods
Linda Falkenstein on Thursday 03/15/2012

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=36223

I think this is a really good idea. I will go one step further and suggest making it a traveling to the suburbs on the weekends over the summer event. If well advertised/planned the vendors could make bank and the townsfolk happy.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mobile food vendor event

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 am

I kinda like the idea too, but it reminds me of why I quit going to taste of Madison; I couldn't find tastes. Everybody wanted to sell me more food than I wanted for more money than I could afford. The last time I went, I managed to sample three foods for a high price each, and then I was out of money and full.

If they concentrate selling lots of little bitsy samples cheap, I'd go. If I'm travelling across town to buy a full meal from somebody and then enjoy the smells of everything else, I'll pass.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 am

I'm not sure how to interpret the congruity of the story in the OP, and the announcement of the Isthmus A La Carts event.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=36234

Isthmus is lining up some of Madison's finest food carts, including Caracas Empanadas, FIB's, Blowing Smoke BBQ, Banzo Madison, and many more. The carts will offer sample size portions of their fabulous fare, so patrons can try plenty of local flavors. Your ticket gets you in the gate to try as much as you'd like.

Are we just that good here at Isthmus, that it only took us a day to bring Soglin's idea together? Or was it just kismet?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 am

The difference that I see between the Isthmus event and Soglin's idea is that Soglin wanted several of these events in different neighborhoods. So the Isthmus is off to a good start, but I'd love to see it expanded so maybe once a month there are a bunch of food carts in a park or parking lot near me. I never manage to make it downtown while the food carts are out even if there are good reviews on them.

My issue with Taste of Madison is that half the vendors are big chains and there's only one or two places that I'm actually interested in. I don't think a food cart event would have that problem.
Athena
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues