MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Flax Seed

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Flax Seed

Postby David Marshall » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:The whole time you're eating it, remember flax seed is where they get linseed oil. That's why it tastes like paint.

Touché, that is very funny. But there is a difference between ground flax seed and boiled (activated) linseed oil. I have prepared wood finishes with the latter.

There is a tricky balance when introducing ground flax into recipes. Start by replacing 25% of the fat by volume with the ground seed, see how it goes. Even better, in my experience one can produce tasty baked goods when over half of the fat called for by the recipe is substituted by apple sauce. Either way, introducing flax seed will turn many off if its presence is escalated too quickly.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby LeftyGorilla » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Get yourself to Communtiy Pharmacy on State Street. They will hook you up.
LeftyGorilla

Postby Lily » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:33 pm

You know, I kinda like the flavor of ground flax seed. It's got a nut like flavor. I add about a heaping teaspoon to plain greek yogurt, a bowl of oatmeal, whenever I make muffins, or more if I substitute it in place of bread crumbs when I make meat loaf. I get the ground golden stuff, pack it in a good freezer bag and keep it fresh in the fridge. If I'm making smoothies I use a level teaspoon so it doesn't come out gritty. Good source of fiber too.

And I second the recommendation for a visit to Community Pharmacy on State Street. They are incredibly helpful.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All