MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike Trails are for bikes.

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bike Trails are for bikes.

Postby doppel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

By now, everyone should know if they are left or right handed and use that as a clue. Worse directions to give your driver "Turn right here,--- LEFT".
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am

Here's the problem I encounter with "On your left!": If I holler that at someone I'm about to pass, they look over their left shoulder and, so many times, veer into the left lane, which I'm about to use to pass. I started using a bell instead, and the interactions seem to be much better for everyone.

Personally I'd rather hear a bell than be yelled at. I get enough of that as it is.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:56 am

I agree that bells are nice. I never had one on my bike, though. I would usually slow down when approaching people, call out "Passing" in as loud yet polite a tone as possible, and then ride around them on whichever side they didn't move towards.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 pm

I love bike bells. The sound of a bell is a ubiquitous, non-judgmental alert in the bikey Benelux, unless the bell is rung repeatedly in quick succession at a particularly clueless ped. Even then, it's more pleasant than a bellow.

Bells are mandatory in Belgium, which specifies that your bell must be audible at 20m. I think some other EU countries have bell laws, too. In the US a car must have a working horn, so why not a bell for a bike? I suppose serious roadies might balk...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Ducatista wrote:I love bike bells. The sound of a bell is a ubiquitous, non-judgmental alert in the bikey Benelux, unless the bell is rung repeatedly in quick succession at a particularly clueless ped. Even then, it's more pleasant than a bellow.

Bells are mandatory in Belgium, which specifies that your bell must be audible at 20m. I think some other EU countries have bell laws, too. In the US a car must have a working horn, so why not a bell for a bike? I suppose serious roadies might balk...

You could always bellow "DING!" and see if that works.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Detritus wrote:You could always bellow "DING!" and see if that works.

The bike path needs more cowbell.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I started using a bell instead, and the interactions seem to be much better for everyone.

Personally I'd rather hear a bell than be yelled at. I get enough of that as it is.

Yep.

Also DO NOT lock eyes with kids with training wheels. They'll veer right at you.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Ducatista wrote:I suppose serious roadies might balk...

What the hell are serious roadies doing on bike trails and paths anyway?
Roads are for roadies.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Bike trails and paths are for people walking three-abreast across both lanes, couples with four children wandering out of control, ladies pushing baby carriages, and dogs.

And bicyclists with bells.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 pm

The bike paths are just waiting for a sociology student with a grant to study them. I don't ride it often, but when I do I find that the vast majority of the Southwest path is completely free of distractions with traffic moving along at a nice clip. If I come across someone moving slower than I do, changing gears typically gets their attention and I move along. But the 10 percent of the path that IS congested is the part that sticks with you. It's just like the car trips I take to the Twin Cities... I wanna go 73 and if somebody impedes that, I'm cursing.

It's why the caricature of the impatient, in-a-hurry New Yorker never proved true in my experience. The people raised in cities get that they're rarely in control of their pace and access, so they're much more likely to just deal with it than us suburban jerks who are all about hurry-up-and-wait.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bike Trails are for jerks.

Postby Twinner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Marvell wrote:The 'multi-use path etiquette' signs posted at various points along the way clearly states that pedestrians should walk in the same direction as traffic. There are similar signs along the roads in the Arboretum, which are similarly ignored.

The only exception to the standard flow of traffic signs is the stretch of path that is along the Monona Terrace. There's a "walking/jogging/running" lane along the concrete railing. Granted, this lane is usually occupied by a retired East HS history teacher fishing and other folks fishing.

I always slow down to about 10 mph through there but I've been passed by morons who think they're in the TdF or triathletes who want to stay in their zone. Once it was a Machinery Row employee who was late for work. I watched him go in the store as it was opening and called Roger about it. Bike shop employees should be held to a higher standard on the MUP.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 pm

I biked through there yesterday. Hadn't in a while. Yes, it was kinda nutty.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Ducatista wrote: so why not a bell for a bike? I suppose serious roadies might balk...

because slapping the iPod wearing pedestrian on the back of the head is more gratifying! :wink:

"on'yer left" works for me
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Meade wrote:
Ducatista wrote:I suppose serious roadies might balk...

What the hell are serious roadies doing on bike trails and paths anyway?

Where the hell did I say anything about bike trails and paths?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bike Trails are for jerks.

Postby Galoot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Twinner wrote:
Marvell wrote:Granted, this lane is usually occupied by a retired East HS history teacher fishing and other folks fishing.

Oh, he's off in Vietnam or Laos or somewhere. He'll be back for the summer, though, and most likely will be catching lots more fish at "the wall".
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking