MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Chadima - a new perspective?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Chadima - a new perspective?

Postby Twinner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Over the weekend the wife and I were watching the local news and the Chadima case came up. She attended UW for one of her Master's and her PhD and occasionally teaches as an adjunct.

I'm aware of the unwanted advances that professors have made toward her during her multiple degrees as well as relationships some of these professors have had with other students. What gets her more than angry is how it seems Chadima's case is being handled.

She voiced her displeasure at UW's unwillingness to deal with similar cases in L&S or other departments. She also was thinking he's being singled out for being gay and making advances on straight men.

Then this occurred to me... What if the John Does were gay but not out? What if because they weren't out they were trying to deflect attention by accusing Chadima of unwanted advances because they were seen in public?

The wife thought about that for a bit and thought it had merit. She thought the likelihood of an ex-player locking himself in a bathroom was unreasonable. She thought it was more likely that if he had made unwanted advances the ex-player would simply open the front door and leave Chadima's residence.

Unless this ex-player is the size of my wife (5'4" 110 lbs) I can't imagine Chadima making the average UW football player that uncomfortable. And for "several hours"? Really? C'mon, really?

At Chadima's home, the report says Chadima made the ex-player so nervous that the ex-player locked himself in Chadima's first-floor bathroom for several hours.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/ ... 13505.html
Twinner
Forum Addict

Re: Chadima - a new perspective?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Chadima's m.o. was to get his victims (and himself) drunk first. After that, behavior gets somewhat erratic.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Maybe the guy who locked himself in the bathroom was a big strong person and didn't want to get in trouble for punching Chadima and injuring him. (I'm trying to be fair here, and of course reasonable people can usually deflect a sexual advance without punching anybody out.)

Yes, people hit on students all the time at the university and it's been happening as long as I've been around and probably a lot longer. Yes, grades and recommendations sometimes depend on how the student handles it. Whether this one got handled differently due to its happening in the football program, or because it happened between two males, is a very good question.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm

snoqueen wrote:Yes, people hit on students all the time at the university and it's been happening as long as I've been around and probably a lot longer. Yes, grades and recommendations sometimes depend on how the student handles it.

I'd like to give a different perspective on that. Not to disagree with or be dismissive of what you say. But there's more that needs to be said.

I was affiliated with UW for many years -- first as a PhD student, then a postdoc, then research faculty with occasional teaching. I'm now employed by another large (private) university elsewhere.

If anyone reading this is a student at UW, or at my university, and she or he is being harassed or "hit on" by faculty or staff, please don't tell yourself that it's normal, acceptable, or that it "happens all the time".

When faculty or staff are harassing or hitting on students, that's a sign of a department that is malfunctioning and that desperately needs better leadership. It's not something that should be considered "normal" or brushed off with "happens all the time". From what I can tell, in academic units where there are the right expectations and standards, it mostly doesn't happen.

What I want people reading this to know is that, if you or someone you know has been subjected to behavior that makes you feel uncomfortable or worse, and you come to me, I will take it seriously. I will do everything in my power to help you and to ensure that your concerns are addressed. I really mean this. If you don't know me well enough to feel comfortable bringing your concerns to me, please talk to one of the other faculty in the department, or to one of the deans.

The university isn't perfect. But on issues of sex, gender, equity, harassment, work environment, etc., we are trying really, really hard. My grad school and work experience has been in the hard sciences and engineering, an area where women have typically been underrepresented both on the student and faculty side. But I think all of my colleagues are absolutely determined to improve that situation. Part of that means recruiting more women majors, grad students, postdocs, and faculty. Part of it means ensuring that this is a comfortable and welcoming place to work and study. And that, in turn, means that if something is going wrong -- and harassment or inappropriate attention absolutely does qualify as "something going wrong" -- we really, really want to be able to address that.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:49 am

snoqueen wrote:Maybe the guy who locked himself in the bathroom was a big strong person and didn't want to get in trouble for punching Chadima and injuring him. (I'm trying to be fair here, and of course reasonable people can usually deflect a sexual advance without punching anybody out.)

I could see the ex-player being a big strong player. But I could see him walking out the front door, pulling out his cell phone and calling a cab or a friend to pick him up long before I could see him locking himself in a bathroom.

I agree you're trying to be fair. Certainly, I could see an ex-player having the clarity of mind to do the right thing and not risk going to jail. There's no reason to hit anyone for an unwanted verbal advance. It's different for physical advances but that's situational with many variables. It's refreshing to see/hear that the ex-player didn't get physical if what he alleges is true.

My only exposure to a situation similar to Chadima's was when I was in the Army many years ago. The first incident was on a road trip from Tacoma to Bremerton with an ambulance driver. We were about halfway there and he reached across the center console and put his hand on my thigh. I recoiled and told him I wasn't on his team. He said he thought I was Bi and thought he'd take a chance. I understood his confusion because the girlfriend I had at the time like to go to the gay clubs in Seattle, Portland and Eugene to go dancing. Since I liked her and didn't have any problems behaving in the bars we were fine.

The second was with a new roommate in the barracks. It was two to a room at our permanent duty station. Periodically they'd shuffle everyone around to avoid conflicts by having the same roommate for more than 6 months. One night during the first week with the new roommate I awoke to him jerking me off in my sleep. I chased him out of the room, down the hall and out of the building but I didn't touch him. I spend the rest of the night sleeping on a couch in the day room next to the CQ/NCOOD office. The next morning I requested a room reassignment and it was granted no questions asked. It turned out he tried the same thing with another roommate and was later dishonorably discharged for sexual assault. He also had similar charges pending with the civilian courts but I'm not sure if the Army released him before or after serving his time.

Anyhow...
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 am

The report indicates Chadima's nickname is "Meat" and he was called that by at least one former player (a kicker) in the text messages quoted in the report.

I'm sure we all have enough experience with nicknames to realize that particular nickname likely has some meaning.

Maybe he was the guy who always brought the protein dish to the potluck.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 am

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Why's he calling me meat? I'm the one driving a Porsche.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:Maybe he was the guy who always brought the protein dish to the potluck.

Maybe he's a vegan?
Twinner
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking