MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Dick Cheney gets a heart

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Dick Cheney gets a heart

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Cheney had heart transplant

With all his years in various federal offices, I assume he has he government health insurance, even though he is a multi-millionaire.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dick Cheney gets a heart

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Now let's see if the idiots who hate him have a heart.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Now let's see if the idiots who hate him have a heart.

Tricky Dick's tricky Dick got a transplant, good for him. I can't say I hate him personally, but I can say that he has had a hand in the advancement of "policy" that should give us all pause.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:43 am

Go fuck yourself, idiot.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 am

Let's see if his new heart gives him courage, as war hawk Cheney was a chicken when it came to serving in the military. He took all sorts of dodges to avoid being drafted during Vietnam, all the while supporting that war. Of course, we all know his role in the Iraq invasion.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

How old is he? 71? How does any patient that old get on the transplant list? Certainly that heart had a match with a younger patient.

I'd suggest Dick get a soul transplant but that would mean he had one.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:07 pm

With all his years in various federal offices, I assume he has he government health insurance, even though he is a multi-millionaire.

If he got his transplant on government money, it's a fine example to toss at ignorant people who start yammering about "death panels."

On the other hand if he used private insurance or even his own fortune to pay for his transplant and that put him ahead of other potential recipients on the list, it's a good example of why a uniform national healthcare plan would be fairer and better than whatever we're doing now.

Interesting case. On a strictly human level, I wish him well.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 am

I'm sure if Ted Kennedy had received a liver transplant at the age of 71 you would have been very respectful and wished him well.

Politics aside, the articles I've read on this story seem to suggest that 72 is some sort of cut-off for heart transplants. I'm not sure if that's just some generally accepted practice or if it's codified in some AMA guideline. Certainly it wouldn't be the law. Cheney waited 20 months for a transplant, which is significantly longer than average, so perhaps he was passed over several times in favor of a younger candidate. I would be wary of making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

From a medical standpoint, one article pointed out that 50% of heart transplant victims die from infection or rejection. They need to suppress your immune system in order to prevent your body from attacking the invading organism (your new heart) so on top of rejection, there's a significant risk of the patient developing other deadly illnesses such as pneumonia while their immune system is compromised.

Anyone who has watched their parents or grandparents grow old can tell you that it's not simply the specific complaints that become a concern but the overall condition of the body. "My knee's been acting up and I wake up with terrible pain in my wrists and I forget if I've taken my arthritis pill today, etc,etc." Though I'd love to think he'd make it, I simply cannot imagine my father surviving the physical trauma of receiving a new heart.

And that's why they give them to younger patients.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm sure if Ted Kennedy had received a liver transplant at the age of 71 you would have been very respectful and wished him well.

I'm sure I would have.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:all the while supporting that war.

Do you have any evidence of Dick Cheney supporting Lyndon Baines Johnson's escalation of his war in Vietnam? Thank you.

Also, you are aware, aren't you, of which candidate campaigned on ending the hateful draft and which president then ended it?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Meade wrote:

Do you have any evidence of Dick Cheney supporting Lyndon Baines Johnson's escalation of his war in Vietnam? Thank you.

As a Republican operative back in the day in Wisconsin (where he extended his draft deferments), Cheney supported his party's line, which was even more hawkish than LBJs. He didn't serve himself because he had "better things to do."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:He didn't serve himself because he had "better things to do."

Which is just as well, considering the trouble he had with friendly fire as a civilian....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Meade wrote:

Also, you are aware, aren't you, of which candidate campaigned on ending the hateful draft and which president then ended it?

Ha-ha . You are such a card.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Cheney supported his party's line, which was even more hawkish than LBJs.

Are you high? No president was more hawkish on Vietnam than LBJ.

Do you have any actual evidence of Cheney "supporting his party's line" on Vietnam? Other than what you just pull out of the thin air of your recovered memory? Thank you.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:50 pm

LBJ was initially reluctant. The war was originally promoted by McNamara and McGeorge Bundy. But it's also true that McNamara eventually regretted escalating and wanted to withdraw while LBJ did a 180 and now believed we were stuck and had to "win" or give an appearance of going all out.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines