MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Double albums that earn their girth

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Double albums that earn their girth

Postby dave esmond » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 am

rrnate wrote:
Huckleby wrote:But I just remembered that a double live album was released of that greatest of great Bill Evans trios (Scott Lafaro on bass) called Live at the Villiage Vanguard. I think it is on seperate CDs now, but anyway that CD is just as great as the ones you like.

Just wanted to call secondsies on this - Bill Evans is pretty amazing. (I like Bud Powell even more, but don't think there are any double lps from him, though I think they'd immediately qualify here.)

Bill Evans is great. But Sunday at the Village Vanguard was originally released as a single album.

Not sure how to count the later "complete" versions.

I'll add Issac Hates - Black Moses. Best foldout album cover ever.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am

dave esmond wrote:I'll add Issac Hates - Black Moses. Best foldout album cover ever.

Great cover, but hardly a great record. Heck, it's not even Hayes's best double. That would be Shaft.

My two other fave foldouts:

Sammy's been livening up my living room for years.

And, of course, Hawkwind was not content to merely fold out once:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
dave esmond wrote:I'll add Issac Hates - Black Moses. Best foldout album cover ever.

Great cover, but hardly a great record. Heck, it's not even Hayes's best double. That would be Shaft

I don't know, I like it as well as Shaft. It's not as bad as Issac got.

I'm giving extra points for the cover for sure.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Bill Evans, Spring Leaves. Which probably doesn't really count... I didn't know until I tried to replace a lost copy that it was two earlier records (Portrait in Jazz and Explorations) packaged together.

As you point out, that was two albums, so your suggestion is out of order and stricken from the official transcript.

No, YOUR suggestion is out of order. (heh, not really, I just love that bit)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm

It is hard to remember what albums were double or triple. And so many jazz albums were repackaged and reissued in 70's and 80's (onto incredibly shitty quality vinyl, btw), then got repackaged again onto CD. This whole discussion is stressing me out, man, I'm ready to blow.

What I really want to know is how did that Blind Faith album get away with a bare-breasted teenage girl on the cover?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 pm

If I recall correctly, Joe Jackson's Big World was released as sort of one and a half discs on vinyl; one was a conventional double-sided lp and the other was either an ep or had the tracks just on one side.

Not one of his greatest efforts, but worth it for "Man on the Street," and for this verse from "Soul Kiss:"

...and all the hippies work for IBM
want to take control
of faster ways of selling food that
isn't really whole...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Huckleby wrote:What I really want to know is how did that Blind Faith album get away with a bare-breasted teenage girl on the cover?
England has always been less concerned about nudity and there are other U.K. jackets from that era that bare flesh, if not of such a tender age. But in the U.S., the original cover was quickly withdrawn in favor of a band photo.
It wasn't until the 1977 reissue that the original cover was restored. How they got away with it then (and still today) remains a mystery. Another mystery: Why they'd want to. I'd put that on my list of worst album covers for sure.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Blind Faith, Blind Schmaith. I can't get that Head East cover out of my head. I couldn't stop staring at it way back then either.

The Kinks Kronikles was my introduction to that amazing band. How could I have forgotten it?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:41 pm

man, that revised cover is still hilariously inept looking. I can just see someone in Robert Stigwood's office saying "You don't like that cover, America? Well, take this, morons!"

Has anyone mentioned Bitches Brew yet?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:46 pm

minicat wrote:Has anyone mentioned Bitches Brew yet?

I was hoping no one would.

This isn't a list of double-albums, it's supposed to be double-albums that earn their length. Y'know, albums that couldn't be contained to merely one disc but don't need to pad a lot of filler to fill a second. Bitches Brew could probably be any length and everything said by its supporters and detractors would still be true. Its length is irrelevant to its purpose.

But here's one that's not-yet-been-mentioned that shoulda been: Funkadelic's Once Nation Under A Groove
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Huckleby wrote:Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life

Another one which exemplifies why I think this is an exercise in madness.

This is a top-notch album. It is one of Stevie's best, so that makes it one of the best albums ever. But there are some clunkers, a lot of the songs go on too long, and... yeah, it's still wonderful. Just like The White Album, while I feel it's overlong and partially ill-conceived, any attempt to "fix" it seems doomed to fail (as I just learned firsthand in The Beatles thread.) As minicat loves to say, it is what it is.

Oh, and Stevie earns bonus credit for his double-album spilling over onto a bonus 7".
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:36 pm

See, I like Bitches Brew. As the fancy-pants CD set proved, it could be longer and I'd still like it.

That being said, it is sort of the Metal Machine Music of jazz.

As for SITKOL, I bet you could make a more solid normal double album if you replaced some album tracks with some of the single tracks. I just picked that one up after many years without hearing it and it was a much better record than I remembered.

even better than the secret life of plants
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:31 pm

dave esmond wrote:Bill Evans is great. But Sunday at the Village Vanguard was originally released as a single album.

Not sure how to count the later "complete" versions.

It originally was two seperate LPs from same concert, "Sunday at VV" and "Waltz for Debbie". I had a double LP, must have been a reissue. Now there is a 3CD set that I covet.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Improve The White Album or Songs in the Key of Life? Might also straighten out some of those Picasso crooked noses while you are at it. I say just relax and make the best of the rough patches, and accept the whole work as the artist intended. As a Grateful Dead fan, I know a thing or two about rough patches.

I think Stevie Wonder's 4 albums prior to Songs were even better. Stevie Wonder is the black Jesus to me.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music