MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
james madison beach
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Atwood-Fair Oaks intersection closed Jun 18-Aug 1

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Atwood-Fair Oaks intersection closed Jun 18-Aug 1

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 am

This just came in from one of the neighborhood lists I'm on.

I post it here just because, when you're driving that neighborhood this July and get caught in the middle of the construction with no way out you can slap your head and go "Oh yeah, I remember somebody said something about this."

--------------

The Atwood-Fair Oaks intersection - intersection only - will be CLOSED for reconstruction from June 18 until August 1.

Not half closed. Not 'Oh I'll just sneak through here on the gravel.' TOTALLY. CLOSED.

City Engineering plans to make
* Walter Street ->to Milwaukee Street ->to East Wash ->to First Street the official Detour for inbound (westbound) vehicles on Monona Dr-Atwood; and
* Eastwood-> to First Street ->to East Wash ->to Milwaukee Street ->to Walter Street->to Atwood the official Detour for outbound (eastbound) vehicles on Willy Street.

AWABA (Atwood Winnebago Area Business Association) met Thursday night at Bunky's to hear from City staff about construction plans.

There was some skepticism among those who attended Thursday how many drivers would actually follow the sanctioned Walter Street->to Milwaukee Street Detour route.

Outbound (eastbound) drivers would be able to stay on Atwood to Elmside, which would allow an Atwood ->to Elmside, ->around Circle Park, ->to Oakridge, ->to Atwood unofficial detour around the construction.

Inbound (westbound) drivers would be able to stay on Atwood to Oakridge, Center or Ludington, which would allow an Atwood ->to Oakridge, Center or Ludington, ->to Circle Park, ->to Atwood unofficial detour around the construction.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Atwood-Fair Oaks intersection closed Jun 18-Aug 1

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for the heads up.

You know everyone's going to cut through on Oakridge, unless people over there clutter all the streets with garage sales and keep it impassible for six weeks.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 am

What a mess.

I live on the west side, but have family, friends, and several places on Atwood I like to frequent. My strategy will be to avoid the area entirely if I have to get through that intersection. I can get all the way to Glass Nickel from the west and back without having to deal with it, so it's just a matter of remembering not to combine Atwood/Willy stops with family visits which then involve an approach from the east.

Sucks, but manageable.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah it'll be a mess. And yes, to say the traffic on Oakridge "will increase" is a bit of an understatement.

On the plus side, recent history for construction in these neighborhoods is completion on or before deadline, so chances of going past August 1 are probably minimal.

I don't think Glass Nickel's gonna like it though. I'll have to stop in for lots of beers to give them encouragement. The hairdresser and video game places, not so much.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 am

It'd be best for Glass Nickel to have super "delivery only" specials to stay in people minds. In that three months, their customers could get comfortable somewhere else and not come back. Hopefully their customers are loyal enough to bring them through it.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Fairview's gonna be a mini-beltline.

Which sucks; we already get every moron who wants to shave two seconds off their commute using Fairview to get around the light at the corner of Fair Oaks and Atwood. There's a stop sign at the intersection of Fairview and Dixon, but no one pays any attention to it; I saw someone get t-boned just last week because they blew through the stop, and I can only assume it will become much, much worse.

Let the clusterfuck begin!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Marvell wrote:Fairview's gonna be a mini-beltline.

I finally went out and dug up the project on the city website.Here's the specs.

Looks to me like Marquette and Maple are part of the construction, which means no through access with Fairview.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:36 am

It appears my reading of that spec doc wasn't correct, and the Marquette-Fairview avenue will be open.

Somebody in the neighborhood group contacted Madison Metro and asked about detours. They got this in reply, specifying that it is the planned detour and not official yet:

1. Detour for current Fair Oaks to Atwood route:
S Fair Oaks Ave to Ryan St to Fairview ST to Marquette St to Atwood Ave

2. Detour for current Atwood route:
Atwood to Oakridge Ave to Hudson Ave and back to Atwood
We will have to remove some parkings on Fairview, Rayan, Hudson and maybe others to accommodate the bus detour.

So it does look like some people accustomed to quiet streets are going to have a summer to remember.

That said, I have to admit that intersection is coming awful close to just collapsing under its own weight and I can't think of a way to repair it that doesn't give everybody a major pain the butt.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 pm

It's open. And a very nice job it is.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:44 am

It's open ahead of schedule! Yay for Mayor Soglin and the city Streets Department. This is so rare.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:02 am

Looks great, and thanks to everybody who worked hard to get it done early. I love the permanent sign over the westbound lanes showing everyone's speed and, one hopes, getting people to slow down before they get over the top of the hill and see the school intersection.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:I love the permanent sign over the westbound lanes showing everyone's speed and, one hopes, getting people to slow down before they get over the top of the hill and see the school intersection.
Hmm. I always thought of those as what-the-speed-limit-should-realistically-be signs. ("Cast your vote now!")

But really, aside from school zones during school activity hours, these strike me as oddly preachy. It suppose it doesn't help that, while I can easily guess what the speed limit is for a given roadway in other states, in Wisconsin my guess is always 10-15 mph above.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe