MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Sardine?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Sardine?

Postby tillybob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Has anyone been to Sardine lately? I have friends coming to town and would love to take them there. Atmosphere and menu look great, but when I ask people about it they all shrug their shoulders and say "it's ok". Is that all it is - ok?

Any other suggestions for a nice-ish meal with atmosphere?
tillybob

Re: Sardine?

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:19 pm

I frequented Sardine a few years back, but just haven't been wowed by the food--in fact, a few times, I've been disappointed by the food--the last 3-4 times I ate brunch or dinner there. I absolutely love the atmosphere and staff, though, so I still go to Sardine for drinks in the bar(and sometimes the half-priced oysters happy hour). I really think that one might get more bang for the buck elsewhere in terms of delicious food; granted, I haven't eaten off the dinner menu since last summer.

Nice-ish with atmosphere- I would say Fresco fits that bill. Or Osteria Papavero. If you are willing to spend a little more, I'd take them to Nostrano or Tempest.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 pm

If you stay in the bar area (which is plenty big and cool) and order off the bar menu you can't go wrong at Sardine. Its their entrees and dining room that can be 'meh'.

I'll second Osteria Papavero.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm

I'll second Crockett's Sardine bar-menu reco, and third Papavero.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:27 am

I'll third and fourth what Crockett said.

I just really like the place itself (and great staff) but the food always sits a little heavy with me.

Or... for your out of town friends I'd recommennd drinks at the Edgewater lounge and then head to the square for dinner somewhere. Graze has great atmoshere too.

Just fyi, you can park underground at Edgewater, for free, if you're going to the bar.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 am

Cocktails: terrific. The charcuterie plate is really nice (oh man, the duck liver mousse). The bar menu has one of the best hot dogs in town on it, and for a ridiculous bargain at that. I think the dinner mains are nice, but their appeal varies based on what's seasonal. And the desserts are a bunch of knock-outs, especially the gianduja crunch.

I'm a big fan of the space as a casual dinner hangout spot. Linger. Order a lot of drinks. Soak it up. Use the bathroom. (They're really pretty.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm

No surprise, Book's hot dog comment got me scrolling through their menu. Is it a special secret?
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 am

The bar menu isn't listed on their site; it's on the chalkboard above the bar, and only available to those seated in the bar area.

Beefy dog, toasted bun, a rich blanket of melted gruyere, with pickled onions and sharp mustard on the side. Mess o' fries and greens, $7.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:50 am

For brunch the other day I had the baked creamed eggs with prosciutto. Yum yum yum.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Eat outside, if you get there before 6 and it's warm enough.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Kovalic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Sardine is still a solid choice for me. I agree with Book about the charcuterie plate - the mousse is one of my favorite things in town. I tend to go with the moules frites, but their whitefish was great, last time I was there, as was (surprisingly) the cavateli.

Kudos to them for removing a signature dish - the skate wing - from the menu once skate was listed as "Avoid" by Monteray Bay, BTW...
Kovalic

Postby beenie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:35 pm

I haven't been there in ages, but I'll throw in another vote for the charcuterie plate - it's worth it for the duck liver mousse alone.
beenie
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews