MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Best place to unload LPs?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Best place to unload LPs?

Postby jman111 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Yaks might molest Velma?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Okay, so I finally got around to selling the first half of my collection and I want to thank people for recommending Mad City Music Exchange. I turned over two boxes of LPs and got a nice bit of cash in return. I have 2 more boxes to go, which I need to sift through to see what I might want to digitze first. Converting them to digital with a USB turntable won't be that difficult, will it?
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:48 pm

How did I miss this thread before?

I buy records.
http://usedrecordsandmore.com/

You'll definitely get a better deal from Madcity for anything truly collectible, but I'm a great place to unload more common or less desirable stuff.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 am

Converting LPs to digital with a USB turntable is incredibly easy if everything works right. You should be able to edit as you are reading the LPs into the computer to get the start and ends of the songs just right (the software usually needs a bit of babysitting for this part).
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:13 pm

What programs do people recommend for converting LPs to digital? I borrowed a friend's USB turntable and figured out how to use Garageband to do this, but it takes a bit of time (imagine that, it takes time to do things well). After I record one side of an LP as a single track in Garageband, I have to mark the track to divide it into songs and then have to export each song into iTunes one at a time. Then I have to fill in info for each song in iTunes. On one hand, I assume that there must be software programs that will make the process easier, but on the other hand, I assume that no matter what program you use, you still have to chop an LP side into separate songs, so maybe they all are unavoidably time consuming. As for removing the incidental noises that occur with turntables and old LPs (even after cleaning them with my age-old diskwasher liquid and brush), I assume there's probably nothing that can make them sound appreciably better than they do when you spin them on a phonograph, or am I wrong about that?
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby dave esmond » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Making sure your records are clean is the first step, I'm sure a Discwasher is better then nothing. There's lots of debate about what are the best methods. I use an dedicated machine and I'm happy with my results. Clean 'em whatever way you like but clean records are where you need to start.

I use Audacity on a Mac to record. It's free and does a decent job.

I use Clickrepair to get rid of clicks and pops. I don't worry about any other noises.

http://www.clickrepair.net/

I leave my recordings as "Side One" and "Side Two".

The whole process is close to not being worth it to me. Breaking up a side into songs would take me past that point.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Also - it's worth noting that if you clean the record with a brush and fluid, you'll probably actually create some extra surface noise the first time you play it. so if you're gonna take the time to dub them, you may want to clean em, play em once and then lightly dust off whatever debris gets knocked out of the grooves with a damp cloth. Or, if the record isn't that dusty to begin with, you're probably better off not cleaning it at all.

I'll second Audacity. It's actually been easier for me with that program to dub them song by song rather than by the side.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks for the recommendations -- looks like I'll have to give audacity a shot.
markkay
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Catch All