MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Holy bike paths!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Holy bike paths!

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Some don't like the sound of "everybody wins." Some prefer "I win, you lose because I don't ever want you to win."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Yep, it's called scarcity syndrome. It's the bread and butter of Faux News®.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:34 am

narcoleptish wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote: Under what circumstances does a cyclist create tension that isn't wholly within the mind of the driver of the car/truck?

On a 55 mph road, coming upon a cyclist that is probably going 20-25 causes you to hit the brakes, backing up traffic behind you that now looks at you as at least half the problem as they sit 6 feet off your rear bumper contemplating going for the pass before you do. Traffic coming the other way is still going 60 mph making it harder to judge the distance you need to accelerate and pass. Throw in curves and hills and I think you can have a fairly tense situation.

The curves and hills are what make biking in rural areas so dangerous in my opinion. I have had to slam on my breaks to avoid flattening a clueless bicyclist on more than one occasion. They are kinda like deer in that way.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:49 am

jjoyce wrote:Some don't like the sound of "everybody wins." Some prefer "I win, you lose because I don't ever want you to win."

Yeah.

Even worse, it seems that some people are so burned up by cultural resentment that they'd even prefer "everybody loses" to "everybody wins".

OK, I know, it's Friday so I'm supposed to be an optimist...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 am

I'm glad the county is prioritizing the link between the Capital City and Glacial Drumlin trails. When it's built, you'll be able to bike on a path from Waukesha to Dodgeville or Freeport, Ill. Which will be exhausting.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:44 am

DCB wrote:
jjoyce wrote: Neither bicyclists nor motorists like the shoulder bike lanes.

It may be an unpopular opinon, but I generally don't mind bike lanes.

I don't mind bike lanes at all and even on a highway I'm completely comfortable existing with bikes in a bike lane. My earlier comment was about rural roads without bike lanes.

I can't understand cyclists who hug that outside line of the bike lane though. Even on E Wash where the bike lane is gigantic, you get people whose handlebars are actually in the car lane....wtf? When biking, I hug the far right side, usually riding in the curb strip (the original bike path).
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:16 am

narcoleptish wrote:I don't mind bike lanes at all and even on a highway I'm completely comfortable existing with bikes in a bike lane. My earlier comment was about rural roads without bike lanes.

Right - just a few extra feet of pavement makes those roads accessible.

I sometimes ride on Hwy 14 - its flat, its a straight shot out of town, and has a wide shoulder.

But I do this during the afternoon when a) I'm visible and b) drivers are less likely to be drunk.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Madsci wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote: Under what circumstances does a cyclist create tension that isn't wholly within the mind of the driver of the car/truck?

On a 55 mph road, coming upon a cyclist that is probably going 20-25 causes you to hit the brakes,

The curves and hills are what make biking in rural areas so dangerous in my opinion. I have had to slam on my breaks to avoid flattening a clueless bicyclist on more than one occasion. They are kinda like deer in that way.

So you're blaming the cyclist for your inability to drive responsibly and control your vehicle? Do us all a favor and think while you're driving.

I'm one of those cyclists riding 3' to the left of the fog line. Honk at me and flip me off if you want, I'm inured. But don't ever, EVER get out of your car. I will beat you to death with my bare hands and claim I was standing my ground.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 pm

I think there would be a lot more support for bike path expansions if bike riders were willing to pay a state,or county or city registration fee sufficient to pay, secure and maintain the network.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:The remark about wealthy white people was regrettable and I changed it.

Mind explaining to us why you found it regrettable and decided to change it?

Also, not a single one of the six links you provided supports your contention that cultural antipathy toward bicycles is peculiar to conservatives. In fact, one soundly rebuts your attempted smear.

jjoyce wrote:They [conservatives] hate it when the bike paths get plowed and they hate it when bicyclists don't come to a full stop at stop signs.

Twenty-four words, two lies.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:08 pm

So you're blaming the cyclist for your inability to drive responsibly and control your vehicle? Do us all a favor and think while you're driving.

Christ get over yourself. Have you driven a car? I assume you have. The scenario laid out has nothing to do with irresponsible driving. It's flat out hard when you're going 55 around a curve to avoid a cyclist sometimes.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Apparently, fisticuffs is a "wealthy white conservative".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I see Meade has entered the "you're all poopy heads and neener neener, ha ha ha!" phase.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:45 pm

the intellectual side of a moderate independent
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Twinner wrote:
I'm one of those cyclists riding 3' to the left of the fog line.

If you're talking 3 feet to the left in a bike lane, I just don't get it, I don't understand the need to ride anywhere left of center unless passing another bike.

If you're talking 3 feet to the left in a car lane, in the city....fine, I can deal with that.

If you're talking 3 feet to the left on a rural road/highway with a 55 limit and no bike lane, then I think you're just foolish. And a douche bag.

Twinner wrote: But don't ever, EVER get out of your car. I will beat you to death with my bare hands and claim I was standing my ground.

Ooh, tell me that again. Talk slower. REally mean it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government