MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:07 pm

They are polluting our precious bodily fluids with so-called soft drinks.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 am

pjbogart wrote: I was mocking Stella Guru who seems to see conspiracy in everything.

I need to check Brettonwood's membership list to see if your name is on it.
http://www.brettonwoods.org/members/
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote: The Democratic party is no more captured by Wall Street than it was during FDR's reign, IMO.

During FDR's multiply administrations many constraints were placed on Wall Street, including the SEC. Regulations that were put into place during his terms have been eroded over the decades, especially by Republican administrations.

You are forgetting the Koch funded DLC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/democratic_leadership_council
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:35 am

Henry Vilas wrote:A Bush appointed federal judge, who admits to hating the president, sent the following racist email about Obama.
"A little boy said to his mother, 'Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white?' His mother replied, 'Don't even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!'"

The follow up to this story:
Judge to be investigated over anti-Obama e-mail
U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals chief Judge Alex Kozinski has appointed a special judicial committee to investigate misconduct allegations against Montana chief U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull, who in February sent an e-mail from his federal courthouse chambers that contained a racist and misogynistic joke about President Obama's mother.

I'm not sure what power the judicial committee has, besides issuing a reprimand. And I doubt if the GOP controlled House of Representatives will initiate impeachment procedings.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Marine Sgt. Gary Stein first started a Facebook page called Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots to encourage service members to exercise their free speech rights. Then he declared that he wouldn't follow orders from the commander in chief, President Barack Obama.

Looks like Stein is in violation of his enlistment oath.

The follow up to this story:
Board: Marine who criticized Obama should be dismissed

A military board has recommended dismissal of a Marine who criticized President Obama on his Facebook page.

The Marine Corps administrative board recommended an other-than-honorable discharge for Sgt. Gary Stein following a day-long hearing at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

The Associated Press reported that "the board's recommendations go to a general who will either accept or deny them. If the general disagrees with the board, the case could go to the secretary of the Navy."
During the hearing, the prosecutor, Capt. John Torresala, said Stein went as far as superimposing images of Obama's face on a poster for the movie Jackass.

Torresala argued that Stein's behavior repeatedly violated Pentagon policy that limits the free speech rights of servicemembers, and said he should be dismissed after ignoring warnings from his superiors about his postings.

The government submitted screen grabs of Stein's postings on one Facebook page he created called Armed Forces Tea Party, which the prosecutor said included the image of Obama on the Jackass movie poster. Stein also superimposed Obama's image on a poster for The Incredibles movie that he changed to The Horribles, the prosecutor said.

Torresala also said anti-Obama comments by Stein that were posted on a Facebook page used by Marine meteorologists were prejudicial to good order and discipline, and could have influenced junior Marines.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:47 pm

"A little boy said to his mother, 'Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white?' His mother replied, 'Don't even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!'"

This a crude joke. Nasty. But how is it misogynistic? Do you honestly take this joke as evidence of hatred towards women? Are "your mama's so fat" jokes misogynistic?

The joke involves race, but it is hardly "racist".

Somebody forwards a tasteless joke, so we need to have (quite literally) a federal investigation!? Political correctness run amok.

I get that the story here is that a federal judge hates Obama. It is interesting, I suppose, to highlight such partisianship. But it's a reach.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Huckleby wrote:

This a crude joke. Nasty. But how is it misogynistic? Do you honestly take this joke as evidence of hatred towards women? Are "your mama's so fat" jokes misogynistic?

The joke involves race, but it is hardly "racist".

Your mama fucks a dog certainly is misogynistic. And Obama's mother was white and she had a baby with a black man. The "joke" implies Obama is lucky that is he only (partly) black and not half canine.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I don't know, Huck. That joke looks pretty misogynistic AND racist if you ask me. Basically the joke is that Obama's mother is a slut who fucks animals. I don't know how else to interpret it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The "joke" implies Obama is lucky that is he only (partly) black and not half canine.

Maybe that is a racist angle that I didn't pick up on. I don't think most people see it that way. (I retold joke in another forum and asked what people thought of it. It is a more conservative group.)
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:19 am

pjbogart wrote: That joke looks pretty misogynistic AND racist if you ask me. Basically the joke is that Obama's mother is a slut who fucks animals.

Well, yes. It is meant to be shocking and crude.

Dead baby jokes are not meant to degrade babies.

"your momma fucks goats" jokes are not a real criticism of your mom, sluts or motherhood. They do not excuse or promote hatred towards women. Nor do they endorse cruelty to animals.

Sick jokes are just sick jokes.

After having it pointed out, I can see that a racist might enjoy it as a racist joke.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 am

Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) calls Obama stupid.

Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, who has long been an outspoken critic of President Barack Obama, used scathing language in a tweet Saturday to condemn the president's remarks about the Supreme Court last week.

"Constituents askd why i am not outraged at PresO attack on supreme court independence. Bcause Am ppl r not stupid as this x prof of con law," Grassley wrote, using typical shorthand for the social networking website.

Responding to the message, Obama campaign senior strategist David Axelrod, himself a prolific tweeter who often engages critics of the president, blasted the Iowa senator.

"Heads up, Sen. Grassley. I think a 6-year-old hijacked your account and is sending out foolish Tweets just to embarrass you!" Axelrod wrote.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 am

Huckleby wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The "joke" implies Obama is lucky that is he only (partly) black and not half canine.

Maybe that is a racist angle that I didn't pick up on.

What do you think is intended to be funny about that joke if it's not about Obama's race? Substitute a famous white person and it ceases to make any sense at all.

And "your momma" jokes aren't funny because they are "sick" jokes (I don't even understand how you can claim they are - what's "sick" about "yo' mama's so fat...?") They are directed at the child - your mama - and the "humor" is simply an insult.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 am

Huckleby wrote:
Maybe that is a racist angle that I didn't pick up on.

The 'joke' is that miscegenation is only slightly less disgusting than bestiality.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am

Huckleby wrote:"your momma fucks goats" jokes are not a real criticism of your mom, sluts or motherhood. They do not excuse or promote hatred towards women.

Perhaps not, but they sure do broadcast it.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Bland wrote:What do you think is intended to be funny about that joke if it's not about Obama's race?

The joke is that Obama's mom was having sex with dogs.

Bland wrote:And "your momma" jokes aren't funny because they are "sick" jokes
I think jokes about fat people are sick. Guess I'm a little more sensitive than thou.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government