MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, August 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Holy bike paths!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Holy bike paths!

Postby SombreroFallout » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:29 pm

obrienforgovernor wrote:I think there would be a lot more support for bike path expansions if bike riders were willing to pay a state,or county or city registration fee sufficient to pay, secure and maintain the network.

Drivers don't pay fees sufficient to construct and maintain the road network. Why should it be any different for bikers? Bikers also pay taxes that pay for the roads -- and pay for the bike lanes. Many bikers also own cars and so pay auto registration fees, gas taxes and the like.

What's your question again?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Just noticed this in a post mentioning Pennsylvania law:

"§ 3303. Overtaking vehicle on the left.
(a) General rule.--The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions and special rules stated in this chapter:
(3) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking a pedalcycle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of the pedalcycle within not less than four feet at a careful and prudent reduced speed."
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:48 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Twinner wrote:
I'm one of those cyclists riding 3' to the left of the fog line.

If you're talking 3 feet to the left in a bike lane, I just don't get it, I don't understand the need to ride anywhere left of center unless passing another bike...

Alternately, 3' in this case could be an unintended reverse tribute to Spinal Tap and their not-so awesome [deep voice]Stonehenge![/deep voice]. Somehow "I ride precisely in the middle of the car lane" doesn't sound like something to brag about unless you're looking for trouble. But then why get all huffy if someone gives it to you?
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:50 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:
obrienforgovernor wrote:I think there would be a lot more support for bike path expansions if bike riders were willing to pay a state,or county or city registration fee sufficient to pay, secure and maintain the network.

Drivers don't pay fees sufficient to construct and maintain the road network. Why should it be any different for bikers? Bikers also pay taxes that pay for the roads -- and pay for the bike lanes. Many bikers also own cars and so pay auto registration fees, gas taxes and the like.

What's your question again?

I don't have a question. You're right that drivers don't pay sufficient fees to construct and maintain the road network, which is why the state has a $85 billion dollar unfunded liability on road repairs over the next twenty years. All the other things you've said are true as well, but those fees are all spoken for. If you are going to build and maintain a secure bike network, bike riders are going to have to pay for it, or be considered free loaders. If we do pay for it, we can demand a lot more for our money, and have the political support to get it done.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

County bike trails require a $20 permit which also lets you ride the state bike trails.

Just sayin'.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

That's true, but what percent of users pay? Is it enough to pay for a countywide network, let alone a state network? Just askin'.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Trail passes are checked. Not every time, but often enough that I'd think twice about freeloading.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm

I've traveled a few thousand miles on bike trails in Wisconsin, and I've run into the bike path cops maybe four times, out in Reedsburg and Dodgeville areas chiefly. It's not an overwhelming deterrent. Anyway, more important is how much revenue is raised, and how much is needed to maintain, secure and expand the network. This is a question I'm asking.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Our experiences differ. Do you buy trail passes?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I haven't done much biking as of late, but I've been on the Glacial Drumlin dozens of times (mostly between Waukesha and Wales, although a few times between Cottage Grove and Deerfield as well), as well as on the Military Ridge a few times. I honestly only remember somebody checking passes once.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Our experiences differ. Do you buy trail passes?

I have, I will. I must admit I'm more interested in the network costs, and how to pay for it.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:09 pm

obrienforgovernor wrote:

I have, I will.

Have you used a trail pass every time you've biked on a trail that requires one?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Twinner wrote:
Madsci wrote:The curves and hills are what make biking in rural areas so dangerous in my opinion. I have had to slam on my breaks to avoid flattening a clueless bicyclist on more than one occasion. They are kinda like deer in that way.

So you're blaming the cyclist for your inability to drive responsibly and control your vehicle? Do us all a favor and think while you're driving.

I'm one of those cyclists riding 3' to the left of the fog line. Honk at me and flip me off if you want, I'm inured. But don't ever, EVER get out of your car. I will beat you to death with my bare hands and claim I was standing my ground.

Okay...Twinner, sorry I snapped your spandex but... dude you have really have a problem. I am a very safe defensive driver, must be from riding a bike to commute to work for 30 years. So I guess I should buy a can of orange spray paint. Just in case I flatten you with my car, you can get a big orange X, just like the road kill deer.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Since you brought it up, why do you ride over to the left of the line? Whenever I see someone doing that I wonder. It seems really dumb, but if there's a good reason I'll have a better attitude.

I always figured it was to show how fast and powerful the bike guy thinks he is, like, "look, I'm not just in that baby bike lane, I'm equal to a car!" Which is nuts in terms of physics.

In other matters: I'd suggest having the bike trail pass this weekend, as the bike patrol people tend to be out more when they expect lots of tourist traffic.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
obrienforgovernor wrote:

I have, I will.

Have you used a trail pass every time you've biked on a trail that requires one?
No.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government