MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Double albums that earn their girth

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Double albums that earn their girth

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm a big Miles Davis Fan. But "Bitches Brew" and "Big Fun" didn't really hold my attention. I think that flavor of music has to be experienced live. I did listen a lot to "A Tribute to Jack Johnson" from that era, that floated my boat.

Bee Gees fans like double LP "Odessa", sort of a Moody Blues-like concept album. I'm just getting around to listening to some 1960's Bee Gees (beyond their hits.)

"Something/Anything" by Todd Runngren has several charming songs on it, but it's kind of a record for teenagers in love or on pot or, optimistically, both. Not sure a middle-aged person is supposed to listen.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 am

Huckleby wrote:Not sure a middle-aged person is supposed to listen.

Not even the father-son bonding reminiscence Piss Aaron?

Sacrilege!
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:But here's one that's not-yet-been-mentioned that shoulda been: Funkadelic's Once Nation Under A Groove

You mean America Eats Its Young? Totally deserves this distinction (despite that it contains what is arguably Funkadelic's worst song ever).

One Nation was a single plus a 3 song 7" EP encompassing 9 tracks total. Close, but no cigarillo.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:But here's one that's not-yet-been-mentioned that shoulda been: Funkadelic's Once Nation Under A Groove

You mean America Eats Its Young? Totally deserves this distinction (despite that it contains what is arguably Funkadelic's worst song ever).

One Nation was a single plus a 3 song 7" EP encompassing 9 tracks total. Close, but no cigarillo.

D'oh!

I most certainly did not mean America -- an album I love, to be sure, but one which does not earn its girth, IMO (and you know I'm with you on "We Hurt Too")
I really was just confused and wrong.
But if you wanted to extend some of the jams on One Nation to make it double-album length, I'd certainly give it a spin.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:41 pm

minicat wrote:
Also: the Clash sucks too.

I do not know you, do you really think this?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ko-Kayne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:46 pm

john_titor wrote:
minicat wrote:
Also: the Clash sucks too.

good idea, let's get Mini and Motor to talk about their disdain for the Clash. i wanna hear it.
ko-Kayne
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 am

ko-Kayne wrote:
john_titor wrote:
minicat wrote:Also: the Clash sucks too.

good idea, let's get Mini and Motor to talk about their disdain for the Clash. i wanna hear it.

Indeed. Given the wide range of styles the Clash embraced as their career matured, it seems as if you'd have to dislike an awfully wide swath of world music styles to be in the Clash Sucks Club. Or is their wandering focus the reason to think they suck[ed]?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

scratch wrote:Indeed. Given the wide range of styles the Clash embraced as their career matured, it seems as if you'd have to dislike an awfully wide swath of world music styles to be in the Clash Sucks Club. Or is their wandering focus the reason to think they suck[ed]?

I like some of the early stuff. But I don't care for dub/reggae, and I don't like music that's politically-focused, so that eliminates a lot of Clash for me right there.

That and it's silly how many people fall for that "The Only Band That Matters" tagline, which was thought up by their record label.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
scratch wrote:Indeed. Given the wide range of styles the Clash embraced as their career matured, it seems as if you'd have to dislike an awfully wide swath of world music styles to be in the Clash Sucks Club. Or is their wandering focus the reason to think they suck[ed]?

I like some of the early stuff. But I don't care for dub/reggae, and I don't like music that's politically-focused, so that eliminates a lot of Clash for me right there.
That and it's silly how many people fall for that "The Only Band That Matters" tagline, which was thought up by their record label.

Don't care for dub/reggae, eh? I still respect your opinion, but it's unlikely you & I will be groovin' on some tunes together in that case.
And I'd forgotten that lame tag from their label. This would be the same label, btw, that never quite got around to paying Mikey Dread for his work on Sandinista.
Thanks for the explanation.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm listening to dub right now!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:38 pm

rrnate wrote:I'm listening to dub right now!

That is precious.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Did you mean to type "precocious"?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Speaking of girth...

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:32 am

Kyle Motor wrote:I don't like music that's politically-focused.

Jeez, Kyle - what about the sacred purpose of rock n' roll in cheezing off the squares?

If films such as Rock Around the Clock, Daddy-O and High School Confidential have taught me nothing else, it's that the squares, in thrall to The Man as they are, need to be regularly cheesed off by honking saxaphones and wild, negro-inspired dancing.

This will also attract large-breasted co-eds in angora sweaters. Which is pretty nifty in my book.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speaking of girth...

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 am

Marvell wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:I don't like music that's politically-focused.

Jeez, Kyle - what about the sacred purpose of rock n' roll in cheezing off the squares?

If films such as Rock Around the Clock, Daddy-O and High School Confidential have taught me nothing else, it's that the squares, in thrall to The Man as they are, need to be regularly cheesed off by honking saxaphones and wild, negro-inspired dancing.

This will also attract large-breasted co-eds in angora sweaters. Which is pretty nifty in my book.

Ah, but you see that is rock'n'roll about the righteousness of rock'n'roll, which I am OK with. I'm talking stuff specifically aimed at politics, protest songs, etc. The more specific the song's topic, the more dated and ultimately useless it becomes in my mind. But that's another conversation.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 am

Kyle Motor wrote:I'm talking stuff specifically aimed at politics, protest songs, etc. The more specific the song's topic, the more dated and ultimately useless it becomes in my mind.
And yet I've know you to sing the praises of the dreadful "Eve Of Destruction", so clearly you make exceptions. Heck, you even make exceptions when performing, considering the topicality of "You're Not A Fucking Vampire", for example. I'm not knocking you, mind you, just pointing out that none of us have set-in-stone rules when it comes to personal taste.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music