MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Holy bike paths!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Holy bike paths!

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:24 am

Igor wrote: It is pretty obvious that the concept of "free love" has cost many people their health or lives, and has harmed our society as a whole. Yet there are still many people that will bang anyone with a pulse.

This argument seems to assume that before the concept of "free love" came along, not many people would bang anything with a pulse.
Igor wrote: But it is going to be tough to get people outside of large cities to give up the freedom of movement that cars (or similar vehicles) provide.

Won't be tough at all. The only thing needed will be to quit subsidizing the price of gas and roads. As soon as all drivers are paying the real cost of fuel and infrastructure, they won't be able to afford the commute. The only people outside the cities will be the ones who only go to town once in a while.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 am

Walking in public is a right. Driving on public streets is a privilege that is regulated and restricted. Pedaling a bike is...?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby obrienforgovernor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:12 am

Fun, but apparently not for everybody.
obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am

Igor wrote:The freedom of movement that individual motorized transport provides is also not something that people are likely to give up.

Why would they have to? NL is an incredibly bike-friendly country, but it's not like the Dutch don't drive. They do, all over the place. In fact, Holland is notorious for long traffic jams on the motorway (I've inched along in more than my fair share). But they also recognize the value of biking. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Heading back to the topic of this thread... I don't believe the motor vehicle is a superior form of transportation by itself. It is the amazing amount of infrastructure,legal and cultural privilege that have been built up to support driving that I believe is the largest factor why most people choose the automobile as their primary transportation mode. If it was just as easy to hop on a bicycle as it was to drive (and people stopped making fun of spandex clothing), you would have a 50% mode share for bicycling. The difference is, more people would be spending a lot less on transportation and not care about gas prices. That sounds like a good thing to me, so let's get building those bike paths!
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Matt Logan wrote:(and people stopped making fun of spandex clothing)

I'm 100% in favor of more bike paths but I will never stop finding dudes in spandex ridiculous. Never.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:20 pm

wallrock wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:(and people stopped making fun of spandex clothing)

I'm 100% in favor of more bike paths but I will never stop finding dudes in spandex ridiculous. Never.

You?
fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg
fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:00 am

Not quite, he looks like he has a few years on me. No, the only time I can recall donning anything that form-fitting was back in middle school when Umbro soccer shorts were all the rage. This was around the time of the Barcelona Olympics and I successfully cajoled my mother into getting me USA Olympic-branded Umbros from JC Penney's along with the requisite spandex biker shorts to wear underneath to keep the twig and berries hidden. The Umbros were bitchin' but I remember those biker shorts less than fondly.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

I think the problem is not the spandex, but the model wearing the spandex. Try this one on for size:

And there is plenty more where that came from:

http://bikeshortspics.com/
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Matt Logan wrote:I think the problem is not the spandex, but the model wearing the spandex.
No. I've always thought it's not the spandex, really, so much as the garish fishing-lure colors and logos unashamedly worn by people who aren't even paid to do so. Clearly, that's not prostitution since it's unpaid. But what do you call it when people actually pay to wear logos?

(We can leave aside the obvious aesthetic train wreck.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 pm

fennel wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:I think the problem is not the spandex, but the model wearing the spandex.
No. I've always thought it's not the spandex, really, so much as the garish fishing-lure colors and logos unashamedly worn by people who aren't even paid to do so. Clearly, that's not prostitution since it's unpaid. But what do you call it when people actually pay to wear logos?

(We can leave aside the obvious aesthetic train wreck.)

Yeah, but I think I stared at that picture for a good three minutes before I noticed that her thighs say "Suburu." They need to move that logo around to the back. In advertising, as in real estate, it's all about location, location, location.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Logan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:20 pm

pjbogart wrote:Yeah, but I think I stared at that picture for a good three minutes before I noticed that her thighs say "Suburu." They need to move that logo around to the back. In advertising, as in real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

I rest my case.
Matt Logan
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Matt Logan wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Yeah, but I think I stared at that picture for a good three minutes before I noticed that her thighs say "Suburu." They need to move that logo around to the back. In advertising, as in real estate, it's all about location, location, location.
I rest my case.
Back to square one with both of you! Damn zombies! (Brains are not fluorescent.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:34 pm

fennel wrote:But what do you call it when people actually pay to wear logos?

Same thing you call it when people actually pay to wear a Packers jersey or a Brewers cap. (The logofied spandex is team kit.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Heated bike paths. Works for me.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government