MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Grilling season

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Grilling season

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:53 am

While some people grill year round, I usually don't start until DST and warm weather comes. With the early advent of Spring, I have begun. My first venture was ribs. Next was ahi tuna on a cedar plank. Today it will be shrimp, mushrooms, bell peppers and onion on bamboo skewers with hoisin sauce. Brats and burgers can wait.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Grilling season

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Just a tip on the cedar plank. Don't buy it from a home store. Much cheaper to get untreated cedar at a lumber yard.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Just a tip on the cedar plank. Don't buy it from a home store. Much cheaper to get untreated cedar at a lumber yard.

Cheaper yet when you get it from your woodworker brother. He's allergic to cedar so when he has to use it, he cuts it outside his shop and gives me the scraps. I still have a couple years worth.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:20 pm

I am not as adventurous - just went with a couple steaks today. Have also done blackened chicken and Jacobson's Brats this year.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 pm

We grill year round, but in fall/winter it's almost always pork chops or a steak. Tonight: brats, baby!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

I grilled up a bunch of plantains yesterday and it was really awesome. Prep includes cutting them in half the long way and then cutting those in to thirds, oiling 'em up, then grilling mostly on the skin side - while the skins get super dark, the inside cooks up great. Then just flip 'em over for a couple minutes and remove.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm

I grill with lump charcoal all year round. I can't go for more than a month without a fix, but this year it was so easy. I didn't even have to shovel a path to the grill!

I've tried many different things over the years, but lately I've been BBQing chicken thighs. They are cheap, juicy, and after the brining, I can be done in about an hour, instead of the several hours necessary for ribs and the like.

I did another batch last night, and the unreserved compliments from the 11 year old is a delightful complement to the finger lickin'.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Last evening it was chicken strips on skewers with a satay peanut sauce. Leftovers were great for lunch.

Burgers and brats can wait.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I got a coupla racks of ribs on the smoker as we speak.

I discovered today that post-St. Pat's deeply discounted corned beef, rubbed with some coriander, mustard and black pepper, then smoked for a buncha hours? Best. Pastrami. Ever.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 am

NullDevice wrote:I got a coupla racks of ribs on the smoker as we speak.

I discovered today that post-St. Pat's deeply discounted corned beef, rubbed with some coriander, mustard and black pepper, then smoked for a buncha hours? Best. Pastrami. Ever.

Sounds awesome, but that's not pastrami. It's smoked corned beef. Yes, pastrami is smoked, but it's a naval cut, whereas corned beef is brisket, which comes from the chest area (lot's of connective tissue).
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Flank steak fajitas, peppers, onions.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Sounds awesome, but that's not pastrami. It's smoked corned beef. Yes, pastrami is smoked, but it's a naval cut, whereas corned beef is brisket, which comes from the chest area (lot's of connective tissue).

Well, if you want to be pedantic about it...

Which I usually do. So I retract my statement.

Howsabout "fauxstrami?" Better?

Given, though, I can go to the grocery and buy "turkey pastrami" and other such abominations, I figure the term is kinda loosely used.

But yes, it was delicious. :)
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm

NullDevice wrote:"turkey pastrami" and other such abominations

I normally recoil at the mention of such things. Your use of quotes and the word "abominations" makes me happy.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Woofer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07 pm

OK, so here's a question more about the grill than the grilling. We bought a Brinkmann grill two years ago (after the grill we had bought 18 months or so before that had all its guts rusted out). Now this grill's guts have rusted out-- the channels that take the gas to the other burners have simply disintegrated. So now we're perplexed and a little angry. Are gas grills only SUPPOSED to last a year or two? At any rate, we've shopped around and have been persuaded that Weber gas grills are supposedly built to last-- with a combination of higher grade stainless steel and cast iron innards. So we bit the bullet and got a Weber Genesis E-310. It's a pretty expensive grill, but if it lasts even five years, it will wind up costing the same as a Brinkmann or Charmglow that would have to be replaced every 18-24 months. Do the grillers on the Forum have any opinions on the Weber gas grills? And do you have any tips on how to extend the life of a grill? Bear in mind we grill year-round-- it's gotta be well below freezing before I'm willing to smoke up the house doing my steaks on the cast-iron skillet. Thanks!
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Keep it covered when not in use.
Even better, also store it out of the elements (garage, shed, carport, etc).

I love my 10 year old Weber Genesis. It gets year-round use and I've never replaced anything. As with all gas grills, periodic cleaning of the burners seems to help performance.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues