MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Where do I complain about this?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Where do I complain about this?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 am

We bought a GE range a year and a half ago. Last night the glass front door exploded all over the kitchen. GE will not cover it under warranty. It wasn't struck it was just preheated and shattered when I closed it. Seems kind of like a manufacturing defect to me. You'd think the glass on a range would be built to handle heat. Anyways I feel like if I yell about it loud enough, possibly on the internet with pictures someone might change their tune and help me out. Any ideas? If this was a guitar I'd no where to go but for a home appliance I'm clueless.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where do I complain about this?

Postby Petro » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:16 am

Gripe louder to CS. Ask if there's anyone to whom you can escalate your complaint.

Hit their twitter feed.

Consider deploying the famed executive email carpet bomb.

The trick generally seems to be find an alternative method of reaching someone with the clout to make things right. CS drones are just too effective at turning people away these days.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 am

Where'd you buy it? A super-customer-service-y retailer would replace it and duke it out with GE themselves, but that may be completely unrealistic no matter where you bought.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:18 am

...paging Ralph Nader....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 am

My wife had a problem with her Dell computer whose warranty had expired. She emailed Michael Dell directly and stressed that she was a loyal Dell customer. A phone call from Dell came later in the day. They sent a tech right to our house and fixed it for free (the tech installed a brand new motherboard).

Try going right to the top at GE, with a polite email explaining what happened.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am

Where'd you buy it?

Home Depot. Doubt they will go to bat for us. 85 plus labor to fix. Should my complaint not escalate I think we'd buy a new one. Something non-GE. Can't believe the warranty on something like that is so worthless. I never buy extended ones, this isn't gonna change that. Any recs on something cheapish that won't exploded?
Try going right to the top at GE, with a polite email explaining what happened.

Jack Donaghy?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I make a quick call to my Pre-Paid Legal attorney's 800#.

They issue a letter indicating hell will follow if I'm not made whole.

Out of the couple dozen times I've used them I'm never not been made whole.

Nothing like having one of the best law firms in the midwest at your beck and call 24/7 for a paltry $17/mo.

Luvs it.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm guessing the cause was a faulty door that warped enough with the heat (which it obviously shouldn't do) and twisted enough when you shut it to shatter the glass.

What Home Depot SHould do is give you a whole new door off of a matching in-stock model and then report a damaged item with the next shipment. Some doors pull right off, some have a screw or a clip. If you can figure out how to change it yourself I would offer to do that and push for the new door from HD, it's the easiest way for them to keep a customer happy.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Is the piece of glass literally just a rectangle of glass, or does it come in a frame or holder of some sort? If it's just a piece of glass, I wonder if you couldn't have a glass shop cut a bit of tempered glass for you and just pop it in. Most ranges are serviceable with only basic tools, and are usually quite simple inside. Otherwise, do you have a link/source for the part that needs to be ordered? Ranges are usually pretty easy to disassemble with basic tools (philips screwdriver, nut driver), so it wouldn't be unthinkable to do the repair yourself and avoid the hassle of customer service entirely.

I have no recommendations for squeezing blood from the turnip of corporate customer service. Best luck.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Why do they bother putting windows on ovens? I can't see what I'm baking in any of them.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:01 am

Twinner wrote:Why do they bother putting windows on ovens? I can't see what I'm baking in any of them.

Try turning on the light in the oven. If that doesn't work, check that you have a light in your oven. If you don't have a light in your oven, you might consider upgrading to a more recent version of your oven. I recommend Microsoft Oven, although you may also have to upgrade your kitchen in order to fit the oven in it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Twinner wrote:Why do they bother putting windows on ovens? I can't see what I'm baking in any of them.

I remember reading a blog about a rather eccentric gentleman in New York that liked to bake pizzas at 850-900F in his oven.

He managed to achieve this temperature by rigging the switch for the self-cleaning cycle so that the oven thought it was always locked, and then using the self-cleaning cycle to cook the pizzas.

Apparently the downside to this is that it only takes a single drop of sauce on a ~850F piece of oven glass to make it explode; so being careful while inserting said pizza is an understatement.

Clearly if there were no windows you couldn't accidentally make them explode.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:48 pm

We didn't get anywhere with the Depot or GE and we didn't like the thing enough to get it repaired. Just ended up ordering a new, better one.

I remember reading a blog about a rather eccentric gentleman in New York that liked to bake pizzas at 850-900F in his oven.

I wouldn't want to be in the same building with that thing glass or no glass.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Time for a viral song on youtube. Even if you don't get satisfaction, you''ll get extraction – via the fees of their online reputation consultants.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Try going right to the top at GE, with a polite email explaining what happened.

Jack Donaghy?

Just don't email him when his plane is on the tarmac.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All