MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Military Atheists

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Military Atheists

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:There are no atheists in foxholes...

I can't think of anything that would convince me more that there is no God than being stuck in a foxhole under fire.

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest aphorisms ever coined.
I've never been in a foxhole, but I have thought I was probably gonna die (on more than one occasion, now that I think about it.)
God never crossed my mind.

From the article...

"Christianity also dominates the religious makeup of the military. Only about 8,000 out of 1.4 million active duty members in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force identify themselves as atheists, and another 1,800 say they are agnostic, according to the Defense Department."

WTF is your point here? Military and religion are both filled with unthinking followers. Surprise, surprise. It makes great sense that those inclined to subjecting themselves to religion would also subject themselves to the military.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:59 am

I think it could be just as easily argued that very few military personnel truly believe in God. Religious affiliation seems to be just as likely part of a cultural norm as a system of beliefs. People attach themselves to their denomination because it gives them a sense of belonging but rarely do they live their lives as their religion dictates. One would have to assume that their faith is tenuous at best if their behavior puts them in the "hellbound" category within their own religion.

I guess it's also possible that it's human nature to make some minor adjustments to God before you fully commit yourself. Ned isn't a big fan of the whole charitable, love they neighbor, turn the other cheek stuff, but he insists he's a Christian much in the same way that I insist that I'm a Packer fan. I don't really have to do anything special to be a Packer fan, just saying so is enough.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Unless the argument is that God is a warmongering, two-faced asshole who loves pitting his creations against each other in contests to the death, of course. Then it makes perfect sense.

You're channelling late-period Phillip K. Dick again, aren't you?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 am

I've never understood the hypocrisy of the Christian faith versus the first duty of the military: to kill.

First commandment and all that. It doesn't say "Thou shalt not kill anyone who is aiding the direct interests of the USA."

A Christian, who follows the law of the Bible, would never join the military. It would be against his religion.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 pm

But christianity has become a political position. It no longer has much - if anything- to do with the 'love thy neighbor' stuff.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 pm

peripat wrote:But christianity has become a political position. It no longer has much - if anything- to do with the 'love thy neighbor' stuff.

The last decade or so has show modern Christianity in the U.S. to be a misnomer. It really should be Old-Testament-Retribution-Inanity.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines