MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

"Bye-bye, Bucks"

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

"Bye-bye, Bucks"

Postby Jou » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 am

Could you not say the same thing about the state's now much beloved Brewers a few short years ago?

County Stadium was falling apart and the team was awful for decades. New stadium and and new owner... and now the Brewers' following is religious.

I'd assume Sen. Kohl will most likely sell the team soon-need a new arena... and unlike baseball, in basketball you only need one good player to make your team relevant.
Jou
Forum Addict

Re: "Bye-bye, Bucks"

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 am

Jou wrote: in basketball you only need one good player to make your team relevant.

I think you need a lot more than that. The Nets have Deron Williams, one of the best players in the league, but they're dead last in attendance. Do you consider them to be "relevant." How about the T'Wolves with Kevin Love?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jou » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:10 pm

The rest of NJ barely count as players.

And MN has the potential to be good next year once some injuries clear up. They are relevant because of Kevin Love--not 'good' because of him... but they are a team to keep an eye on.

The point is that the Bucks have gotten stale, but I don't think sports -fan-people should give up on them because the same sort of ennui had set in on the Brewers before people re-invested in them and they made a bunch of changes and are now a big deal.
Jou
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Jou wrote:Could you not say the same thing about the state's now much beloved Brewers a few short years ago?

County Stadium was falling apart and the team was awful for decades. New stadium and and new owner... and now the Brewers' following is religious.

The County Stadium was 47 years old when the Brewers stopped playing there. The Bradley center is 24 years old. Not saying it isn't the worst arena in the NBA, but let's be honest, it's not just because of where they play, or at least not the arena.

I live in Milwaukee and other than the very occasional game I get dragged to by my brother (who get's free tickets from work) I almost never see someone in Bucks gear. I think the Wave and the Admirals have more community support than the Bucks.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking