MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin stands up to poverty pimp Konkel!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Soglin stands up to poverty pimp Konkel!

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 am

It is great to see that Mayor Soglin is giving the back of his hand to poverty pimps like Brenda Konkel. This city spends all kinds of money to deal with the homeless. That is why they are all moving here! The mayor should not also allow them to trash our fair city like they have been doing for the past six months on East Washington. Way to go Mayor Soglin! You are not a loony liberal after all!

http://www.forwardlookout.com/2012/04/m ... adly/14877
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Re: Soglin stands up to poverty pimp Konkel!

Postby juanton » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:59 am

It's really hard to follow any sort of thread within that blog post. It's a mess.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 pm

What exactly is this 'trashing' you speak of?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm

(The mayor is clearly using my talking points...)

“I think it’s got to be understood, that Madison, Wisconsin, despite all the good intentions of the progressive people in this community, does not have resources to serve the homeless people from our city, the rest of the county, the rest of the state, or for that matter the rest of the Midwest. “We have to face up to that,” the mayor said...

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 963f4.html
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I understand, swimmer, that you disagree with former Ald. Konkel on the merits of allowing Occupy to remain past the end of the month. But describing her as a "poverty pimp" is both disrespectful and inaccurate. A "poverty pimp" is one who personally benefits by acting as an advocate or agent of the poor and disadvantaged; say what you will about her style and ideology, no one has ever accused Brenda of personally benefiting from her tireless advocacy. Calling her a "poverty pimp" merely proves how small and petty you really are.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 am

Maybe Soglin knows that there isn't a neighborhood in the city that will accept a new tent city. It's a moot point.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am

I'm going to go on record as a supporter of the Occupy Movement as a political statement. However, Madison Occupy has never been a political movement. "Walkerville" was a political movement --it had a message, a presence, and they played by the rules in order to gain credibility.

The current incarnation of Occupy Madison has run its course. The current neighborhood Occupy is, well, occupying is Tenney-Lapham, who have been historically involved in the development of sustainable growth in the neighborhood. There's a lot of changes and rebuilding coming to the 700 and 800 blocks of E Wash-- and credit goes in no small part to the neighborhood working their tails off to bring business and affordable housing to their area.

Occupy is about to renege on a deal struck months ago to which they helped draft. I can't state that bluntly enough. Occupy organizers worked with the city to strike a deal --if they back out of that deal now they'll lose any credibility they had. Furthermore, if they decide to fight the city, who was more than understanding to their political message, they'll grow a new reprutation that is overtly negative which will have a terrible effect on any work they may try to do in the future.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:37 am

Stu Levitan wrote:I understand, swimmer, that you disagree with former Ald. Konkel on the merits of allowing Occupy to remain past the end of the month. But describing her as a "poverty pimp" is both disrespectful and inaccurate. A "poverty pimp" is one who personally benefits by acting as an advocate or agent of the poor and disadvantaged; say what you will about her style and ideology, no one has ever accused Brenda of personally benefiting from her tireless advocacy. Calling her a "poverty pimp" merely proves how small and petty you really are.

+1.

I agree with the Mayor's position and disagree with Ms. Konkel's, but she is taking a principled position. There is no reason to personally attack someone for advocating for the less fortunate, even if you disagree with their policy prescription. In fact, it's kind of disgusting.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

Brenda Konkel is the executive director of the Tenants Resource Center and gets government money. She is part of the Poverty Pimp Network. That is why our reasonable and moderate mayor is publically dissing her and the other poverty pimps.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:00 pm

She is part of the Poverty Pimp Network.

only that's not a real thing it's a demeaning label you've thrown at someone with an honest position you happen to disagree with. It's ugly and unproductive and weakens your position.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

And the Tennant resourse center is a pretty good organization that should be publicly funded. I understand that these days poor has pretty much become synonymous with wrong and evil but that is, after all, an attitude that was bought and paid for by the 1%.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm

fisticuffs wrote: only that's not a real thing it's a demeaning label you've thrown at someone with an honest position you happen to disagree with. It's ugly and unproductive and weakens your position.

Spare me. Many of you would not hesitate to use "Koch Bros. Network" or "Teabaggers."
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Spare me. Many of you would not hesitate to use "Koch Bros. Network" or "Teabaggers."

Damn straight, you stupid fucking teabagger.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Plus your real problem is not with me, it is Mayor Soglin. He is the one who is publicly telling the poverty pimps in Madison to bugger off.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Several points:

1. I have a big problem with "pimp" and "back of his hand" language. That's violent, sexist, stupid and troubling. My guess is you wouldn't use that language about someone in a polite discussion, so why use it here? Your argument would be better served if you would edit it.

2. Brenda's post, linked above, is a mess. She does the advocates she sides with no good by not putting their arguments in context. I wouldn't care if she wasn't such a regular and vocal critic of the job reporters do in this town. Glass houses, etc.

3. The mentality that this encampment ought to be able to move to any "under utilized" parcel of land is unrealistic in a democracy and incredibly disrespectful to the people in the neighborhoods they mention. The truth is that people near Union Corners don't want the encampment there, so why is it more acceptable to move it to Park Street? Those people don't want a homeless encampment in their neighborhood, either, just like your neighbors don't want one in yours.

4. I can't get over how many times this guy Allen says something is not "entirely" or "exactly" true.

5. For those of you waiting for the moment when the malcontent left in this town lost their love for Soglin, version 3.0, you're looking at it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government