MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Assembly passes abortion, sex ed. bills

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Assembly passes abortion, sex ed. bills

Postby hellogoodbye » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm ashamed of the people running....no ruining this once great state. What is going on? Is this 1950? Let's do the time warp again. Good thing we can hunt wolves now too.
hellogoodbye

Re: Assembly passes abortion, sex ed. bills

Postby Peanutbutter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Teaching children that abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy is ruining our state?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Teaching children that abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy is ruining our state?

Allowing that to be taught in place of comprehensive sex ed is, yes.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hellogoodbye » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 pm

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital ... 53?page=66

"80 percent of unmarried evangelical young adults (18 to 29) said that they have had sex."

Abstinence isn't working at all within the Christian Evangelical community...those that believe in it. Sex will happen this is a given. Why not put real world, valuable info into the hands and minds of those about to rock. Acting, believing and wanting abstinence education to work will not change reality.
hellogoodbye

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Teen pregnancy closely follows the contours of America's Bible belt

The 2009 study posited that attitudes toward contraception play a significant role, noting that "religious communities in the U.S. are more successful in discouraging the use of contraception among their teenagers than they are in discouraging sexual intercourse itself."

And we continue to march toward Wississippi...
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Teaching children that abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy is ruining our state?
At the least, it's lying.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Aubrey McFate » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:53 pm

fennel wrote:

I'm not saying that other methods of preventing pregnancy shouldn't be taught - they should - but what are the other sure ways?
Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 am

So you think it is a legitimate approach to teach ONLY sure ways?

I have no problem with teaching abstinence as it does help to avoid a lot of problems, not the least of which is pregnancy. But to teach that while forbidding the teaching of contraception is a just plain stupid approach. Its adherents are also stupid to believe that teaching our kids about biological FACTS is some sort of destruction of values. Guess what: values are what you teach at home and you are free to do so, no one is stopping you.

Keep in mind that values do not equate with [i]biological facts[i] nor are they meant to. Facts are often value-neutral, they simply are. If you do your job well and raise decent human beings with an ability to think critically with an open mind, then you have indeed done very well. They do not need to be protected from facts.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 am

Aubrey McFate wrote:
fennel wrote:

I'm not saying that other methods of preventing pregnancy shouldn't be taught - they should - but what are the other sure ways?

Anal and oral, Einstein.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Aubrey McFate » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 am

Well, duh, but if that's the argument you're making, we might as well teach kids that punching walls, changing the oil in our cars, and skydiving are also sure ways of preventing pregnancy. (Really, though, accidents can happen with oral and anal, depending on how sloppy and careless you are.)

Anyway, the specific point I was responding to was that it was a lie to say that abstinence is the "only sure way" to prevent pregnancy. I don't think it is a lie, assuming we're talking about vaginal sex. Condoms, spermicides, the pill, and other forms of contraception are all very good precautions - Mrs. McFate and I use them ourselves, and I think schools should absolutely teach students about them (and there's nothing in Act 216 that prohibits this) - but they should also acknowledge and even emphasize that each of these methods has a failure rate, even when used in combination, tiny though it may be. On the other hand, unless you're the Virgin Mary, abstinence has a 0% failure rate.
Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 am

Aubrey McFate wrote:Well, duh, but if that's the argument you're making, we might as well teach kids that punching walls, changing the oil in our cars, and skydiving are also sure ways of preventing pregnancy. (Really, though, accidents can happen with oral and anal, depending on how sloppy and careless you are.)

Anyway, the specific point I was responding to was that it was a lie to say that abstinence is the "only sure way" to prevent pregnancy. I don't think it is a lie, assuming we're talking about vaginal sex. Condoms, spermicides, the pill, and other forms of contraception are all very good precautions - Mrs. McFate and I use them ourselves, and I think schools should absolutely teach students about them (and there's nothing in Act 216 that prohibits this) - but they should also acknowledge and even emphasize that each of these methods has a failure rate, even when used in combination, tiny though it may be. On the other hand, unless you're the Virgin Mary, abstinence has a 0% failure rate.

Just exactly how sloppy or careless are you and Mrs. McFate cause I'm not sure what you would have to be doing to impregnate someone through oral sex
Are we at the uterus yet? No, we haven't even passed the esophagus.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 am

rrnate wrote:
Anal and oral, Einstein.

Don't forget mutual masturbation. Also, can't think of the last time a gay couple got accidentally knocked up.
sallybell

Postby sallybell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am

Aubrey McFate wrote:
Anyway, the specific point I was responding to was that it was a lie to say that abstinence is the "only sure way" to prevent pregnancy. I don't think it is a lie, assuming we're talking about vaginal sex.

One of the problems with most abstinence-only sex education programs is that they also make this assumption. Sex ed isn't (or shouldn't) be just about how to not get pregnant--it should also be about how to protect yourself from STIs. If you focus only on penis/vagina sex (and the only message is "Don't do it!"), you miss out on the opportunity to educate folks about the risks of, say, unprotected oral sex.
sallybell

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am

Aubrey McFate wrote:Anyway, the specific point I was responding to was that it was a lie to say that abstinence is the "only sure way" to prevent pregnancy. I don't think it is a lie, assuming we're talking about vaginal sex.
As usual, you've forgotten about necrophilia.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:59 pm

There is castration, of course.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government