MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin stands up to poverty pimp Konkel!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Soglin stands up to poverty pimp Konkel!

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Spare me. Many of you would not hesitate to use "Koch Bros. Network" or "Teabaggers."

Uh, the Koch Bros. are their names dipshit. And, well, the teabaggers actually started using this and then realized the error of their semantic ways.

swimmingupstream wrote:Brenda Konkel is the executive director of the Tenants Resource Center and gets government money.

And, Uh..., again. When I was in college a landlord was trying to screw us over and charge us for a bunch of shit we didn't do. I went to the TRC and they helped me out greatly and we were able to win our case in court. What the hell does this have to do with homeless people. So Swimmer, unless you know what the hell you are talking about, quit while you're way behind on this one.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:19 pm

and gets government money.

So do Exxon and Halliburton.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm

jjoyce wrote:2. Brenda's post, linked above, is a mess. She does the advocates she sides with no good by not putting their arguments in context. I wouldn't care if she wasn't such a regular and vocal critic of the job reporters do in this town. Glass houses, etc.

Ahem.

jjoyce wrote:You're a hypocrite. No, you're a hypocrite! Zzzzzz....
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
and gets government money.

So do Exxon and Halliburton.

Well yes.

But they are empowering America and making it economically stronger and more productive.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm

But they are empowering America and making it economically stronger and more productive.

Lolz
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 pm

What? You don't feel Stronger and more productive?

Well at least they are making the economy stronger and.... oh wait
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:5. For those of you waiting for the moment when the malcontent left in this town lost their love for Soglin, version 3.0, you're looking at it.

This is Paul Soglin's Sister Souljah moment. It looks like the old man still has ambition for higher office. In two years "Governor Soglin"? Or in four years "Senator Soglin"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Souljah_moment
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Jeez, I'm a landlord, and I still like the fact that the Tenant Resource Center is there to help people.

swimmingupstream, you're being ridiculously insulting to Brenda here. I don't care for her myself, but I would never use such language in reference to her.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Whether or not Brenda Konkel is a "poverty pimp" is a distraction from the real issue here.

Occupy Madison, whatever that legal entity is, was never supposed to be a homeless shelter. It was, purportedly, a social/political movement/expression. It received a permit that is suppose to terminate April 30. Guess what day comes directly after April 30. You guessed it - International Workers' Day - May Day - the day of celebration of the international labor movement and left-wing movements. What a perfect day for civil disturbance, permit-less street protests, and "direct actions".

Soglin would be wise to listen to the alderpeople who are proposing an extension to Occupy Madison, let a week or so quietly pass, and then move in and clear out the encampment - compassionately processing the truly homeless and impoverished men and women and sending the other malingerers to their respective homes.

Soglin should work on a covert plan with Marsha Rummel, Lisa Subeck, and Brian Solomon - someone who allegedly has experience with occupying space belonging to someone else for which he allegedly failed to receive clear consent and permission to occupy. Give all the aldermanic poverty-protest-progressive pimps an opportunity for their very own Sister Souljah moments.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm

And here's the moment when Moderate Meade defines a movement that has heretofore defied definition.

Tell us more what the occupy movement is about, M-Double. Don't leave out the cash mobs!

All this tittering about Sister Souljah, May Day "direct actions" and "permit-less street protests" is hilarious.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 pm

And speaking of digital workmanship, Journalist Jason... Soglin really ought to present some sort of City Progressive Pulitzer prize to you and Vincent O. for all the yeoman's work you and your paper have done over the past year to - not persuade but - yes, inform the left wing of Madison about all things anti-Walker, with the virtual journalistic equivalence of thousands upon thousands of free Ian's pizzas.

Scrumptious, buddy.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:Several points:
1. I have a big problem with "pimp" and "back of his hand" language. That's violent, sexist, stupid and troubling.

Joycie baby, I did not say that Soglin was bitch slappin' the ho's. That would have been sexist and I would never write such a thing.

Instead, I wrote that Soglin went all Action Jackson and gave the poverty pimps the back of his hand.

See the difference?

Here, this might help you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InwMfeT2FdY
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:13 pm

BTW Meade, you and Ann Althouse along with Vicki McKenna are my local heros!
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Meade wrote:Scrumptious, buddy.

Indeed, Moderate Meade. Indeed.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:58 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:BTW Meade, you and Ann Althouse along with Vicki McKenna are my local heros!

Oh yeah, let's put the four of you on Mt. Rushmore!

Soglin hasn't been perfect, but he has validated my decision to vote for him. It was based on my belief that he puts the interest of the city first, and is willing to piss off various interest groups in furtherance of that interest. No sugar coating or triangulating. I find it refreshing.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government