MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Tubed meat

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Tubed meat

Postby Crockett » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Anywhere I can get good, handmade sausage, chorizo, etc in this town? I know Regent St makes some and of course Whole Foods. Anywhere else?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tubed meat

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 pm

They won't have chorizo, but Bavaria Sausage on Nesbitt is solid.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:54 am

Is the charcuterie on the north side still open? In the shopping center by Benvenutos.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby sallybell » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm

msnflyer wrote:Is the charcuterie on the north side still open? In the shopping center by Benvenutos.

Hamann Charcuterie. It's not, which makes me sad--closed down for good sometime last summer. The guy who ran the place made some great meats, but he was not so great at running a business. The incredibly variable hours (it really was a crap shoot whether it would be open or not, regardless of the posted hours) helped contribute to it's demise.
sallybell

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 am

The market between La Guanajuatence and the Dorn Hardware/Le Tigre strip has some nice chorizo (the soft variety). Underground Meats makes a good harder chorizo.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

By "hard chorizo" do you mean spanish-style chorizo or simply a harder mexican-style?

The namespace collision on chorizo always plagues me. It once caused my mom to fill a paella with greasy mexican chorizo, which was not such a great thing.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm

btw, seconding the Bavaria sausage recommendation.

Also, if you're ever in Stevens Point, Ski's Meats makes a pretty delicious bratwurst (and their smoked summer sausage is excellent).
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

NullDevice wrote:By "hard chorizo" do you mean spanish-style chorizo or simply a harder mexican-style?

Oh, definitely Spanish.

You have a hard time with the homonymity of 'chorizo'? For me, 'torta'/'tortilla' is even worse. At least both chorizos are sausages.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shyguy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm

NullDevice wrote:btw, seconding the Bavaria sausage recommendation.

Also, if you're ever in Stevens Point, Ski's Meats makes a pretty delicious bratwurst (and their smoked summer sausage is excellent).

And let me second the recommendation for Ski's. Bought a couple tri-tips there this spring, a skirt steak last time I was there. Great brats and sausages. I really like this place. Good fish too.

I don't know about chorizo, but the butcher shop at Jennifer St. Market has a good variety. Also, the "mercado" on Monona Dr. at Frostwoods has a pretty decent and "authentic" meat counter.
shyguy

Return to Cooking & Food issues