MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

McDonald's near University & Midvale

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

McDonald's near University & Midvale

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am

I'm an unapologetic McDonald's customer. I probably patronize the chain twice a month, on average. I pretty much hit one up every time I drive a long distance and often when pressed for time. Sometimes, it's out of a craving for a shake-and-fries.

I have to say that the restaurant on University, across from the Target and west of the Midvale intersection, is the best I've ever been to. Half of my McDonald's trips are to that particular location and EVERY single time, the fries are hot and crispy. Like, too hot to eat immediately and always crispy.

On a recent Saturday morning, my son and I stopped in there for a sit-down breakfast and the whole experience was cheerful. The women (and for some reason, the employees I deal with there tend to be women) working were very courteous and efficient. The dining area, which is decorated to look like a library with books (or fake books) and plants, was spotless.

Seated near us was a trio of guys in their 80s, which I understand is kind of a cliche. They were watching a scene unfold in the parking lot that I couldn't see from my seat.

"That takes a lot of chutzpah," muttered one. "A lot of chutzpah."

A few minutes later, he got up and bid his friends farewell. On his way out, he held the door for a woman of a similar age who greeted the two remaining fellows. They both complimented her on her hair, her coat, her smile... it was totally flirty and a joy to watch. The third man then returned with a bag full of old golf balls for one of the other guys.

With this entertainment alone, the breakfast trip would have been a success. But add to that some better-than-average McDonald's fare and you can count me in as a returning customer.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: McDonald's near University & Midvale

Postby Crockett » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 am

Mmmm...large agribusiness...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:30 am

What? No love for Walmart and Coca Cola? Those corporations need free advertising too.

Hooray for high fructose corn syrup and low wages!
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am

jjoyce wrote:I'm an unapologetic McDonald's customer.

REPENT! REPEEEEEEEEEENT!

Actually, I despise that McDonald's, just because I take Old University to get home and always end up waiting for some confused fast-food-sucker to figure out how to turn in there.

eriedasch wrote:Hooray for high fructose corn syrup and low wages!

These two things are on my "awful things" list, along with jam bands and poorly executed sarcasm.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am

I think I've eaten at a McDonald's once in the last 7 years, because our group's bus from O'Hare stopped at one. I avoid them because I try to eat healthy. I do remember that I like how the food tasted, the convenience and the price, so I would not presume to knock someone for liking it. They've been very successful for a reason.

A couple times a month shouldn't hurt anybody if you eat more wholesome fare the rest of the time.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:47 am

I enjoy junk food immensely, candy bars and chips in particular. I also enjoy healthy food and cook and bake at home quite a bit (I worship at the church of Bittman), but somehow avoid getting all self righteous about it.

My other fast food regulars:
Culver's (1x month): Hard to go wrong there. Excellent quality control.
Chipotle (2x month): Old Sauk location is very polite and efficient.
Milio's (1x week): Close to work, > Subway by a mile
Sonic (4x year): Good burgers, not very convenient
White Castle (1x year): If I'm lucky while in Mpls, I'll get a unit of 5 cheeseburgers with fries and enjoy the hell out of 'em in my car. The stores don't feel as dangerous as they did when I was a kid and that takes away a little of the charm. But the Castle might be my favorite fast food stop of them all.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am

jjoyce wrote:White Castle (1x year): If I'm lucky while in Mpls, I'll get a unit of 5 cheeseburgers with fries and enjoy the hell out of 'em in my car. The stores don't feel as dangerous as they did when I was a kid and that takes away a little of the charm. But the Castle might be my favorite fast food stop of them all.

I'm the same way with Krystal, the White Castle of the South. When I go back home I can't not eat at Krystal. And I can't not feel sick afterwards.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 am

I too an unapologetic McDonald's customer. I patronize the chain at least twice a week, usually for coffee or the best damned Diet Coke in the land.

The best McDonald's in the Madison area is attached to the BP in Cottage Grove.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:My other fast food regulars:
Culver's (1x month): Hard to go wrong there. Excellent quality control.
Chipotle (2x month): Old Sauk location is very polite and efficient.
Milio's (1x week): Close to work, > Subway by a mile
Sonic (4x year): Good burgers, not very convenient
White Castle (1x year): If I'm lucky while in Mpls, I'll get a unit of 5 cheeseburgers with fries and enjoy the hell out of 'em in my car. The stores don't feel as dangerous as they did when I was a kid and that takes away a little of the charm. But the Castle might be my favorite fast food stop of them all.

Do you patronize any non-chain 'fast' food places? Fast food doesn't have to be a chain.

Mediterranean Cafe on State St comes to mind. You can't drive through but its fast, healthy and cheap.

Los Gemelos on Odana is fast, healthy and cheap as well. In fact, there are multiple places on Odana that fit the bill.

My point is that these chains serve, Sysco-derived garbage food. And the profits go to big shots in far away places (minus Culvers maybe).

You can get quality, price, speed and taste if you put 10 minutes of thought into it and get out of your car once in a while. Keep it local.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:32 pm

I will always defend McDonald's fountain sodas. Seriously, why do they taste so much better than most other places? On road trips, we've swung into a McDonald's on many occassions just for the Diet Coke. And for a hangover, a McDonald's regular Coke is my craving. What's up with that?

Oooooooo eeeeeee, What's up with That?
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Mayonnaise really does a number on my stomach and I'm done with McDonald's because the last three times I've been to one I've gotten mayo on my grilled chicken sandwich despite asking for it to be withheld. Granted these have all been drive-through lunch stops in various off-the-Interstate locales. When I was in college the McD's on Lake Street was a regular destination but over the years less and less of the menu would sit well until I was down to Egg McMuffins and chicken sandwiches. I'd still be down for the occasional McMuffin but I don't really get out for fast-food breakfasts anymore. They do have the best fries too.

My fast-food top five sandwiches: Wendy's Spicy Chicken (sans mayo), Subway roast beef with the works, A&W bacon cheeseburger (sans mayo), Culver's pork tenderloin & Arby's roast beef & cheddar. I also hit up Chipotle semi-regularly.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm

as a burger aficionado, I was excited to finally have a chance to sample White Castle last summer on a trip out of state.

Wow, did it suck. Even by chain fast food standards.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:15 pm

minicat wrote:as a burger aficionado, I was excited to finally have a chance to sample White Castle last summer on a trip out of state.

Wow, did it suck. Even by chain fast food standards.

Was it 3:30 in the morning and you needed to sit on the curb to stop the liquor based spinning?

There are rules you know.

I'll second the Wendy's spicy chicken as being pretty good.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 pm

rrnate wrote:
eriedasch wrote:Hooray for high fructose corn syrup and low wages!

These two things are on my "awful things" list, along with jam bands and poorly executed sarcasm.

Even though we agree on the issue I want to thank you for reminding us of your musical tastes in a non-music related thread. Or is that just well executed sarcasm?

I listed a few jam bands in a thread on the hype exchange. I would be very disappointed if you did not remind us (again) how you really feel about those damn jam bands and their dreadfully awful, lousy, droning, talentless crap they call music.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:30 pm

jjoyce wrote:The stores don't feel as dangerous as they did when I was a kid and that takes away a little of the charm.

Then you need to get to one of the Lake Street locations. :shock:

I'm OK with White Castle and the kids like it, but Mrs. Ned thinks it's low-grade dog food. There are a few new burger places, some of which are chains and we've kind of been making the rounds: Smashburger, myburger, Burger Jones.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews