MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Random thoughts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Random thoughts

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Since Volkswagen just bought Ducati, will Ducatista change her forum name?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Ha!

Nah, I haven't owned a Ducati in years (traded the Duc in for a Triumph after about 10K miles), but it's a good name, so I'm keeping it. Jawohl.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:49 am

Triumph, the Insult Comic Bike?

My right hand/arm is better/quicker at manual teeth-brushing than my left, which is weird, because I'm left-handed.

What the fuck is that about?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:50 am

If I had a kid (relax forons, it's only a theoretical) I would teach them to, whenever we pass by a woman in heels that make that loud obnoxious kloppity klop sound, exclaim loudly "Daddy, that lady sounds like a horse!".

For now whenever I hear that sound I think to myself "no dear, your shit DOES stink".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm Facebook friends with Satan.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Just walked by the Milwaukee Rescue Mission on the way back from lunch, and saw a gentleman outside, standing by his kit while checking something on his smartphone. Made me wonder, is the ability to communicate and be communicated with now higher on the priority list than a permanent/semi-permanent residence?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Just walked by the Milwaukee Rescue Mission on the way back from lunch, and saw a gentleman outside, standing by his kit while checking something on his smartphone. Made me wonder, is the ability to communicate and be communicated with now higher on the priority list than a permanent/semi-permanent residence?

I wondered about that one night this spring when I walked past someone in his car, obviously living it, with his laptop open and checking his email.

I think it has more to do with the cost of one v the other. I can't afford fifty a week for rent but I can afford twenty a month for a phone while I hunt for a job.

Well, some of them use their phones to job hunt.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:19 pm

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Just walked by the Milwaukee Rescue Mission on the way back from lunch, and saw a gentleman outside, standing by his kit while checking something on his smartphone. Made me wonder, is the ability to communicate and be communicated with now higher on the priority list than a permanent/semi-permanent residence?

I wondered about that one night this spring when I walked past someone in his car, obviously living it, with his laptop open and checking his email.

I think it has more to do with the cost of one v the other. I can't afford fifty a week for rent but I can afford twenty a month for a phone while I hunt for a job.

Well, some of them use their phones to job hunt.

I guess my question is more along the job hunting lines. At what point does it actually make more sense to invest in the ability to communicate rather than housing? Most charitable groups seem to focus on food and shelter. I'm wondering if providing mobile communication might not make a bigger difference in the long run?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14 am

I saw a guy jogging yesterday, with his oversize shirt tucked into his full length spandex tights. It's little daily chuckles like this that enrich your life and relieve stress.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:48 pm

A couple days ago I was passed on the bike path by an individual wearing a tidy little top hat, a trimmed goatee, white tights, combat boots, and a ruffled blue and green skirt. He was carrying a yoga mat.

I agree -- it all makes life more enjoyable.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:A couple days ago I was passed on the bike path by an individual wearing a tidy little top hat, a trimmed goatee, white tights, combat boots, and a ruffled blue and green skirt. He was carrying a yoga mat.

Oh man.

If I'd a known that was you I would have said hi and invited you to my yoga class.

We're having trouble retaining members.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:06 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I guess my question is more along the job hunting lines. At what point does it actually make more sense to invest in the ability to communicate rather than housing?

I might be missing something here, but it seems like you're operating under the assumption that a phone costs about as much as a place to live.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 am

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:I guess my question is more along the job hunting lines. At what point does it actually make more sense to invest in the ability to communicate rather than housing?

I might be missing something here, but it seems like you're operating under the assumption that a phone costs about as much as a place to live.

not at all, though I see where you could make that interpretation. I'm not sure what the going rate for a rooming or boarding house is, but I remember a place near an old apartment was had a sign listing $50 a week back in the late nineties. Clearly you can get a pay as you go phone and keep it funded for well under that rate.
here is my question though: lets say you have enough money that you can afford to pay rent somewhere cheap, but not enough that you can pay rent and consistently pay for air time. Would losing consistent phone use (and the ability to be reached reliably) be worth the having a semi-permanent address/shelter?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 pm

I know that hitting me up for "bus fare" in the Walgreen's parking lot (a fairly regular event) doesn't work so well when you're holding a cell phone and smoking a cig.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm

I wish to register a complaint with the management. These thoughts are no longer random--I demand my money back.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All