MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

McDonald's near University & Midvale

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: McDonald's near University & Midvale

Postby dave esmond » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm

kimm wrote:I will always defend McDonald's fountain sodas. Seriously, why do they taste so much better than most other places?

I worked at a couple of McDonalds 30 years ago so who knows if they still do it the same way.

At that time the lines were cleaned and calibrated for for the right mix of syrup and soda water every day. Also I think the lines were all dedicated to just one flavor. That way you weren't getting Coke from a line that had Orange soda in it the day before.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't eat much fast food these days, but I used to frequent the McD's of the thread's title regularly when I did, but my experiences only matched Joyce's up to a point. Yes, it is an exceptionally clean and quiet McD's, which is definitely nice. And the regulars -- mostly seniors -- are neither obnoxious nor annoying. But my experience was that I was just as likely to get cold or mushy fries there as any other. (I literally haven't eaten a McDonald's fry in over 6 months, so perhaps that situation has improved.) And while the employees were all friendly, to be sure, they were just as likely to screw up my order as at any other location. Admittedly, the likelihood of screw-ups fell dramatically once they stopped using "W/O" as an abbreviation for "without", as the folks on the line were just as likely to read it as "with only". And when you're talking about ketchup, that's a big problem for me.

jjoyce wrote:The dining area, which is decorated to look like a library with books (or fake books)...
The books are real (I think), they've just been cut in half and glued to the wall! I actually find the faux library trappings disturbing, not charming.

Definitely agree about the Coke. Best in the world. But I cut out high fructose corn syrup completely* a while back, so it's something I probably won't be enjoying too many more times in my life. But w/o ketchup, their burgers contain no high fructose corn syrup. So nyah!

*Anyone else done this? It was staggering to me to discover how many products they put that crap in. Why the fuck was there hfcs in a jar of peanuts, for example?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Then you need to get to one of the Lake Street locations.

The Lake Street stops were the most frequently visited when I was a kid. One was run by a manager who worked with a holstered pistol. There was also a tiny one that's now a jewelry store maybe, off Lake St. near Hennepin. Looks like it was built out of white Legos.

Burgers and White Castle are two mutually exclusive loves of mine. The work of art they dispense regularly at places like the Village Green and Oakcrest in Madison have almost nothing in common with sliders, but I jones for both equally.

A friend worked at White Castle in high school and described the type of shower he had to take to get the smell off after work as "Silkwood style."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Then you need to get to one of the Lake Street locations.

There was also a tiny one that's now a jewelry store maybe, off Lake St. near Hennepin. Looks like it was built out of white Legos.

That's right by Casa de Ned. I can't figure what's going on with that place (33rd and Lyndale, I think). It is an old White Castle location and there are signs indicating that it's a jewelry store, but you never see anyone coming or going. They'll probably find the mummified body of the owner any day now...
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:15 pm

I used to swing by the University & Lexington White Castle in St Paul after late-night press checks. Sketchy but worth it. The drive-thru herds you into a narrow, curbed chute, and I always used to wonder if my car could jump the curb in such close confines if need be.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Ducatista wrote:I used to swing by the University & Lexington White Castle in St Paul after late-night press checks. Sketchy but worth it. The drive-thru herds you into a narrow, curbed chute, and I always used to wonder if my car could jump the curb in such close confines if need be.

You're a brave woman Duc. An exist strategy in such situations is always a good idea.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 pm

eriedasch wrote:I would be very disappointed if you did not remind us (again) how you really feel about those damn jam bands and their dreadfully awful, lousy, droning, talentless crap they call music.

Second Reminder - life is too short to A) eat at McDonald's or B) hassle people for eating at McDonald's or C) play in a jam band or D) listen to jam bands.

However, life is not too short to hassle people about jam bands. The way I see it, I have saved a couple years worth of time by not listening to, say, numerous versions of Dark Star - I can use a small portion of this time to hassle the long hairs as a form of giving back to the community.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 pm

I wish Madison still had a Steak 'n Shake presence. That outfit is damn good.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm

eriedasch wrote:
rrnate wrote:
eriedasch wrote:Hooray for high fructose corn syrup and low wages!

These two things are on my "awful things" list, along with jam bands and poorly executed sarcasm.

Even though we agree on the issue I want to thank you for reminding us of your musical tastes in a non-music related thread. Or is that just well executed sarcasm?

Says the foron who can hardly post without a plug for legalized weed.

For the record, I'm for legalizing pot and for illegalizing jam bands.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Crockett wrote:
Los Gemelos on Odana is fast, healthy and cheap as well. In fact, there are multiple places on Odana that fit the bill.

Thanks to this thread, I finally tried Los Gemelos today (it's close to my office). I wouldn't say it was particularly fast, but damn, was that tasty. Thanks.
sallybell

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Inspired by this discussion, I broke my vows today and lunched at the University/Midvale McDonald's.

I am very happy to report that the fries were indeed piping hot and crispy and wonderful, but then, they weren't ready when the rest of my order came up, so they were brought to my table after I'd already begun devouring my double cheeseburger. And yes, I had me some sweet, wonderful high fructose corn syrup Coke. Yum.

The service was friendly and the store was clean, just as I remembered and Jason reported. However, there was a table of employees (directly across from the napkin/soda station, no less), in uniform, having a meeting, and one of them had a napkin stuffed up his bleeding nose while he held a cup underneath to (I shit you not) catch drippings. None of the other employees thought maybe this was a bad idea?

The only real hiccup was that the lady in front of me took a solid 5 minutes to order a Happy Meal for her (I presume) granddaughter, making the poor cashier run through a list of every possible permutation while she tried to find something "healthy". After having most of her suggestions shot down by grandma, the young girl almost started to get very upset when told she was getting apple juice. "I want a choco shake!" Grandma compromised and got her a chocolate milk, then ordered a coffee with cream and sugar for herself, prompting the girl to ask very sweetly, "Can't I have one of those too?"
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I wish Madison still had a Steak 'n Shake presence. That outfit is damn good.

Seconded. One of the highlights of my childhood trips to my grandparents in Illinois was a steakburger and a shake at the Steak 'n Shake in East Peoria while watching the barges go up and down the river. If I'm traveling for work and come across a restaurant I still bring back cans of their chili for a friend of mine.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:17 am

Looks like the nearest Steak 'n Shake is in McChesney, Ill., just across the border. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. It's like going into Wisconsin.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 am

A logistical aside, the Univ and Midvale location looks like it's right where they are squeezing traffic down to two lanes for the big construction project. Everybody be patient and alert out there!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Looks like the nearest Steak 'n Shake is in McChesney, Ill., just across the border. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. It's like going into Wisconsin.

Well I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews