MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What the GOP really thinks about Obama

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:48 pm

rabble wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:So you're saying it's best to let sleeping dogs lie?

Not when you let the little children lead you.

Here. I'll throw you a bone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPSqL9_ ... ntrinter=1
(Stick around for the ending!)
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:39 pm

mrak wrote:I only hope that when next April rolls around, and voters have handily elected President Obama to a second term, the Nuge remembers the promise he made to the American people of a dead Nugent, and does the right thing.

After all, can there be any greater expression of love for the Second Amendment by a brain-dead cracker like Nugent, than to blow his own head off?

That's not funny, and not what the DPF really needs. As much as I find Mr Nugent to be a contemptible clown, I don't actually want to see him kill himself. A less drastic way of making good on his promise would to get thrown in jail briefly. Drunk & Disorderly could probably do it.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 am

kurt_w wrote:As much as I find Mr Nugent to be a contemptible clown, I don't actually want to see him kill himself.

Why?

He's not clever (in my odd opinion) like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter, who occasionally say something funny or thought provoking. The Nuge is dumber than a box of rocks. I don't even find him useful as a cautionary tale.

I think Nugent validates violent impulses, he is junk food for the potentially unhinged.

Apparently you hold the principled position that every life is sacred. I am a strong advocate that everyone should be granted the option (without judgement) to end their life on their own terms.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:21 am

Huckleby wrote:He's not clever (in my odd opinion) like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter, who occasionally say something funny or thought provoking. The Nuge is dumber than a box of rocks. I don't even find him useful as a cautionary tale.

Yeah! But don't you dare suggest Nuge's stupid, thoughtless comments are insulting, because that would be beyond the pale, and Huckelby would be forced by his conscience to explain how they really aren't.

Thanks for the first laugh of the morning, Huck.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: Yeah! But don't you dare suggest Nuge's stupid, thoughtless comments are insulting, because that would be beyond the pale, and Huckelby would be forced by his conscience to explain how they really aren't.
This is such a scintilating topic, lets review the bidding.

The Nuge cast himself as a victim, comparing himself to Sammy Davis Junior (a one-eyed, crooning black jew, for the children here) at a Klan rally.

Now, one could accept the logical, simple, likely interpretation that the Nuge is feeling sorry for himself, and reached for the most dramatic symbol of victimhood in his imagination.

Or one might probe deeper into the brain of Ted and surmise that his comment was not about Hisself, or that it unintentionally trivializes the suffering of blacks and jews. Never mind that Ted's opinion carries the weight of an ant toenail. The payoff of the outraged tack is the opportunity to feel offended. If one is so brittle, so anxious to take offense, yes, here is your opportunity. Enjoy.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:49 am

Beautiful.
You do realize, you just did exactly what I said you would do.
Please stop. I can't keep laughing this hard. Need air.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am

hey, I've doubled your pleasure!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 am

Oh, this IS scintellating. Let us parse this deep, deep analysis:
1) Huckleby believes that a comment cannot be insulting unless it was intended to be. (Or put another way: ignorance is a defense against insensitivity.)
2) Huck's interpretation of what lies beneath the surface of a comment are "logical," "simple," and "likely" and any different understanding require "deeper probing" and is wrong to boot.
3) Hucklebuck thinks Sammy Davis Jr. is the most dramatic symbol of victimhood imaginable to Nugent.
4) Hucky thinks that "feeling sorry for himself" and "unitentionally trivilializing" minorities are mutually exclusive propositions.
5) The Huckster sees no point in being insulted by Nuge's comments because only "potentially unhinged" folks listen to him (huh. doesn't that make Nuge MORE dangerous?)
6) Huck-a-duck posits that defending the right of people to kill themselves is a "principled position" but speaking out against offensive language is pointless PC claptrap.
7) Huckaroo believes people actively seek comments such as Ted's because they secretly long to be offended. Or because they're brittle. Or both? I'm not even sure.
8) Huckabye is of the opinion that Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are clever but .....actually I got nothing for this one. I'd love to see some examples of this so-called cleverness tho.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Bland wrote: Huckleby believes that a comment cannot be insulting unless it was intended to be. (Or put another way: ignorance is a defense against insensitivity.)

I wouldn't go that far. But for me, intent matters a lot.

Bland wrote:Huck's interpretation of what lies beneath the surface of a comment are "logical," "simple," and "likely" and any different understanding require "deeper probing" and is wrong to boot.

I wouldn't say alternate interpretations are wrong. I would say it is foolish to search past the superficial to find an offensive interpretation.

Bland wrote: Hucklebuck thinks Sammy Davis Jr. is the most dramatic symbol of victimhood imaginable to Nugent.

That's "Huckleby." My name comes from a football forum where I named myself after bow-legged Packer running back Harlan Huckleby. Show a little respect.

I just threw Sammy out there because he is black & Jewish. That was a joke. Gosh, was that offensive? Sorry. the dramatic symbol Ted chose was a black jew at Klan rally.

Bland wrote:4) Hucky thinks that "feeling sorry for himself" and "unitentionally trivilializing" minorities are mutually exclusive propositions.

No. My fault. I should have said "and/or" instead of "or".

Bland wrote: 5) The Huckster sees no point in being insulted by Nuge's comments because only "potentially unhinged" folks listen to him (huh. doesn't that make Nuge MORE dangerous?)

Well, in general, the lower the prestige of the speaker, the less likely I would be offended by their comments.
Wait a sec, are you extending the offense you are taking to include theory that Ted's comments might lead his followers to attack blacks and jews? That is a creative connection, you got your thinking cap on.

Bland wrote:6) Huck-a-duck posits that defending the right of people to kill themselves is a "principled position" but speaking out against offensive language is pointless PC claptrap.
Actually I said that defending life as sacred is a principled position. But defending right to a dignified suicide is also a principled position.
Speaking-out against offensive language can also be a principled position.
The devil is in the details. IMO (I will not claim mantle of humility), taking offense at Nugent's theoretical slight to blacks & jews is PC claptrap.

Bland wrote:7) Huckaroo believes people actively seek comments such as Ted's because they secretly long to be offended. Or because they're brittle. Or both? I'm not even sure.

Again, case by case. But IMO, it would be some combination of brittleness and pleasure of offense at play here. But ya know, perhaps that is harsh, one can never know the motivations of others. I throw my speculations out there as irritating grist for the mill.

Bland wrote:8) Huckabye is of the opinion that Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are clever but .....actually I got nothing for this one. I'd love to see some examples of this so-called cleverness tho.

Oh, they both have come-up with some excellent zingers over the years, especially Coulter. I don't want to recall any, because I can't, but also I (sincerely) don't want to offend people. Their comments are offensive, but I have a thick skin and enjoy dark humor.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Amusing review of Christopher Hitchins memorial:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/2 ... 41508.html

I love Christopher Hitchins & Camile Paglia because they are brilliant, entertaining free-thinkers. The doctrinaire praise them when they direct their wit correctly, disown them when they disagree with their positions. I say always cherish Hitchins & Paglia for their courage and integrity.

NOW wants Limbaugh off the air:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/2 ... 41412.html
Foolish.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I thought this thread was titled "What the GOP really thinks about Obama."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 am

4 Years Later, Race Is Still Issue for Some Voters

Not only among Republicans (see their Southern Stategy), but among some white working class Dems, especially in areas hit hard by the economy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 am

During an event near Cleveland yesterday, a woman asked Romney if he thinks President Obama is "operating outside the structure of our Constitution," and "should be tried for treason."

Romney did not respond to the treason comment, but instead criticized Obama's recent comments on the Supreme Court -- drawing a rebuke from the Obama campaign.

"Time after time in this campaign, Mitt Romney has had the opportunity to show that he has the fortitude to stand up to hateful and over-the-line rhetoric and time after time, he has failed to do so," said Obama campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith.

Full story.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 09, 2012 11:37 am

From another forum thread:

A monthly newsletter published by the Greene County Republican Committee in Virginia is raising eyebrows for including a column in its March edition that calls for an "armed revolution" if President Barack Obama is elected to a second term in November.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/0 ... 01510.html
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Another reason to hate the Cubs:
Cubs Owner Wants To Tie Obama To Rev. Wright

And some, including a troll on this forum, want to resurrect the canard that Obama was born in Africa. Racism at its worst.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government