MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Poll: Women Voters Flocking To Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Poll: Women Voters Flocking To Obama

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm

What did the GOP expect when they decided to wage war on women?

Female voters in battleground states are rallying around President Obama in droves, according to a new USA Today/Gallup poll released Monday, suggesting a gender gap could pose one of the Republicans' biggest challenges in this fall's general election race.

Obama led Mitt Romney by 18 percentage points among female registered voters in the nation's top 12 swing states. The gender gap between Obama and Rick Santorum was 15 points. USA Today reports that this is the "first significant lead" the president has held in these key voting states.

Those leads represent big gains for the president, compared to previous swing state polls conducted by USA Today/Gallup, according to USA Today:

"The biggest change came among women under 50. In mid-February, just under half of those voters supported Obama. Now more than six in 10 do while Romney's support among them has dropped by 14 points, to 30%. The president leads him 2-1 in this group."

Recent Quinnipiac University polls conducted in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania bore out similar results.

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Poll: Women Voters Flocking To Obama

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 am

Obama has the Kavorka - the lure of the animal.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:05 am

I love how conservative women are now claiming the conservative led war on women is really a war on Christian women.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Teddy, Dodd, Jesse Jackson and Bubba et al have been performing midnight maneuvers in their own "war on women" for years.

As usual, it all depends on how the LSM packages the stories....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:58 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:05 pm

That wasn't the only anti-women legislation that Walker signed recently.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 am

The split between married-single women is stunning.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162- ... gle-women/
"Among MARRIED women, Romney leads Obama 49 to 42 percent. But among SINGLE women, Obama has a huge lead over Romney, 62 to 34 percent. "

Many polls have shown this bewildering divide.

Why do women change so dramatically when they get married? I'm sure part of the result is simply that married women are (on average) older than singles. But that doesn't explain such a dramatic split. According to some analysts, the Republican claims to conservative "family values", whatever that really means, appeal to people who have families.

Or maybe it is that married people become more economically secure, and see programs for the poor coming indirectly out of their own family budgets?

Is the issue that conservative women are dramatically more likely to get married? That seems unlikely, since the same political split does not occur between married and single men.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 am

Huckleby wrote:Is the issue that conservative women are dramatically more likely to get married? That seems unlikely, since the same political split does not occur between married and single men.

I wouldn't discount this quite that quickly. Men and Women don't necessarily have the same attitude towards marriage and traditional societal views of unmarried women versus unmarried men is also different.

It's probably a mixture of several things: Higher average age of married women, perception that republicans won't take money away from them (and their children) and give it to other people and their children, women who do marry younger are probably more likely to have been raised conservative.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:01 am

All I have is personal experience to go on. In the last few years for some strange reason the list of conservative couples we hang with on a regular basis has shrunk considerably, but we used to know quite a few. About half the wives were closet liberals pretending to have the same views as their husbands. I say about half because that was how many would vent about it when they were alone with us.

I miss those wives. Hope they still have somebody to vent with. Or dumped those jerks.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

About half the wives were closet liberals pretending to have the same views as their husbands.

This.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:12 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
About half the wives were closet liberals pretending to have the same views as their husbands.

This.

A lot of insecure women need a daddy figure to take care of them.

The Democratic Party is their daddy figure.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 pm

A lot of insecure women need a daddy figure to take care of them.

Actually only a small percentage of them. Around 13 it would seem. Unless you want to include all the conservative women in that figure as well. I know how Ned likes anecdotal proof. I know a girl who had long term relationships with two of my close friends. One vocally conservative, one vocally liberal. She flip flopped ideologies to match her boyfriend. She can't be the only one.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:30 pm

It seems as though the Democrats "War on Women" strategy, spearheaded by charming Obamabot Hilary Rosen, has come back to slap them frozen flounder-style:

"More voters think Mitt Romney and the Republican Party respect women who work outside the home than think President Obama and the Democrats respect women who stay at home, according to the latest The Hill Poll.

Forty-nine percent of likely voters said the presumptive GOP presidential nominee respects women who have independent careers, while 27 percent said he doesn’t and 24 percent weren’t sure.

When asked if President Obama respects women who stay at home rather than pursue a career, 37 percent of likely voters said he doesn’t and 35 percent said he does. Twenty-nine percent were unsure."

http://thehill.com/polls/222967-hill-po ... omen-issue
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government