MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Saints as crooked as NOLA cops

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Saints as crooked as NOLA cops

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

First the bounty given to injure opposing players, now this:

The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Saints as crooked as NOLA cops

Postby kiwiwannabe » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 am

This is Louisiana, Henry. There is very little in that state and in New Orleans that is aboveboard and legit. You have only to read your history to see that. The Kingfisher is a classic example.

KatrinaRita brought out the best in many people, but also the worst of the scam artists.

So why should the football team be expected to be honest in its dealings with the rest of the league?

I suspect most of the successful teams cheat in one way or another, but for a New Orleans team to do it doesn't seem strange to me at all. And I was in New Orleans at Super Bowl time a few years back, cheering them on.

Encouraging pounding the other team in football starts in high school and is prevalent in many college programs. Listening in on the other team's locker room is SOP at many schools. I don't agree with it, but it's happening everywhere. The good old days are long, long gone. Technology improvements and steroids have seen to that.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:56 am

Society encourages winning-at-all-costs in grade school with screaming parents and well-funded sports teams, throws billions of dollars at the professional leagues, and then acts shocked, SHOCKED, when they do whatever it takes to win.

Please.

On the bright side, if I never have to hear the Who Dat chant again, I'll call these particular scandals a net positive.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Henry, Henry Henry.
Do you jump to conclusions every time you read sumpin on da net? You're always bitching about this or that being unfair. Wait til both sides are told before you convict a saint.

From Azcentral .net:
Saints spokesman Greg Bensel called the report "1000 percent false."
"We asked ESPN to provide us evidence to support their allegations and they refused," Bensel said. "The team and Mickey are seeking all legal recourse regarding these false allegations."

And do you really mean to call every NOLA cop corrupt?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Hoping it's a false accusation, Mike McCarthy was the Offensive Coordinator for the Saints during that time frame in question.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 pm

I never said all Saints and NOLA police are corrupt, but are you denying that both have plenty of dishonest members?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't know. Do you?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:26 pm

doppel wrote:I don't know. Do you?

Yes. Or are you denying the bounty for injury scandal concerning the Saints, where many players and coaches were involved? Do you also deny the widely known corruption within the NOLA police department (which has gone on for decades)? Even the New Orleans mayor admits to that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking