MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

I hate that movie! But wait...

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

I hate that movie! But wait...

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 am

Did you ever loathe a film as you were watching it, but then later admire and even love it? That happened to me with Lars von Trier's "Breaking the Waves." Watching it, I got angrier and angrier. Shortly after the screening, I started weeping and couldn't stop.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I hate that movie! But wait...

Postby bdog » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am

Death Race 2000
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:26 am

Wow - "Breaking the Waves" looks promising. Love the stars.

I "saved" it on Netflix. Would be curious to know if the number of saves on movies like that affects when it will become available.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 am

bdog wrote:Death Race 2000

Saw that when I was 11 or 12 with my brother. Wouldn't suggest that to others.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am

I felt exactly the same way as Burns while watching Breaking The Waves. Never had the after-movie epiphany though.

Now I'm angry all over again just thinking about that awful experience.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I felt exactly the same way as Burns while watching Breaking The Waves. Never had the after-movie epiphany though.

Now I'm angry all over again just thinking about that awful experience.

It's divisive for sure. Lars von Trier is divisive.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:34 am

It's more common that I would feel that way about an album than a movie, but two that come to mind off the top of my head are The Big Lebowski, which I didn't hate but thought of as fairly uneven for the Coen Brothers though now I find it mostly charming, and The Shining, which, as a fan of the book, I despised, though now I can see it as it's own thing and enjoy the shit out of it. Having King supervise a tv remake which was completely awful probably helps too.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 am

Seven, with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. Best movie I ever hated. Saw it once, can never watch it again but think about it all the time.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:36 pm

usually if I hate a movie, it remains hated -- and in some cases grows worse as I recall watching it. Notable examples:

Match Point. On the way in we encountered Marco Pogo, and he was very upset. He was right to be upset. What a scabrously awful movie.
Brotherhood of the Wolf. It took a number of drinks afterwards and the soothingly worn jukebox records at Le Tigre for our group to calm down and not want to burn down the theater and all existing prints of the "film."
whatever that atrocious debacle of the second Star Wars prequel was called. Schabow, I will never forgive you.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:11 pm

minicat wrote:usually if I hate a movie, it remains hated -- and in some cases grows worse as I recall watching it.

Same here. As in: Whale Rider, An Imitation of Life (both versions), Titanic
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:30 pm

I've had the "didn't like at the time, but then kept thinking about it and really came around" thing happen a lot. This includes:

* Intolerable Cruelty - Coen Bros - first time I saw it, I thought it was by far the worst movie by them ever. However, some of the jokes really stuck in my mind and now it's one of my top five and I've watched it a few times.

* Nosferatu - Werner Herzog - felt like a real slog to get through, but after a little distance, the way it somehow is a horror movie that has a distinct sense of...uh..exhaustion or something, seems pretty cool.

* El Topo- Jordorowski - Saw it at Cinemateque for a midnight screening and the person I was with exclaimed "I feel like I just watched ten bad movies!". Again though, with a little distance, the dream-like quality literally means I remember it like a dream and now I'm kind of fond of it. (This also goes for "Duck, You Sucker".)

A good recent example is...

* Meek's Cutoff - another super slow western where, at the time, I found myself thinking "Yeesh, what is the point". After the ending (which drew a big audience gasp) and then thinking about it over the next few days, I got the point (or, at least think I did) and liked the movie a lot more.

I dunno - I probably spend too much time *thinking* about this stuff rather than the things I should be thinking about, but as a result, this happens to me a lot. Sometimes movies can be really awesome without necessarily being fun to watch.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 pm

rrnate wrote:Intolerable Cruelty - Coen Bros - first time I saw it, I thought it was by far the worst movie by them ever.

This is the (only) reason I am thankful for the existence of The Ladykillers, as now I'll never again have to put any thought into what their worst movie is. (This wouldn't have worked when Cruelty came out, of course, but has worked ever since.) Not only is it far and away their worst film, it's the worst film I can even imagine them making.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I also had something like this experience with the three Swedish "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" films. I wasn't fully won over by the first two but was a total convert by the end of the third.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I also had something like this experience with the three Swedish "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" films. I wasn't fully won over by the first two but was a total convert by the end of the third.

Have all three books been made into movies?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Yep. Excellent Swedish films.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies