MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Nebraska coach outspoken against gays

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Nebraska coach outspoken against gays

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm

rrnate wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Should he be fired? No.

See, now I'd say he SHOULD be fired. I'm going to bet the university has a non-discrimination clause a mile wide and no doubt one could easily, easily, easily make the case he's in violation of it.

Universities also are very sensitive on free speech issues, though.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
rrnate wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Should he be fired? No.

See, now I'd say he SHOULD be fired. I'm going to bet the university has a non-discrimination clause a mile wide and no doubt one could easily, easily, easily make the case he's in violation of it.

Universities also are very sensitive on free speech issues, though.

When it comes to academic issues within the context of research and teaching, yes--academic freedom. For every issue and in every situation, no. Not to be tiresome, but a professor cannot shout "fire!" in a crowded classroom and expect to remain a professor.

OK, now the $64,000 question: how will Meade misuse that example?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:49 pm

My sense is that even outside the context of teaching and research, universities like to err on the side of free speech.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:21 pm

While I think Brown deserves to be fired, I don't think he should be fired. Nebraska would just be making a martyr out of him, so why give him what he wants?

What I wish they would do, if they haven't already, is step up and say publicly that this man's views do not represent the views of the University of Nebraska, and in fact the university deplores them.

If they haven't already done that, I have to wonder why not.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Brown was not speaking on behalf of the university. He clarified that point.

He was expressing to his government his own personal religious beliefs. Yours and Henry Vilas's bigoted views opposing Brown's religious beliefs do not trump Brown's first amendment rights.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Detritus wrote:Not to be tiresome, but a professor cannot shout "fire!" in a crowded classroom and expect to remain a professor.

Depends on 1. if there is in fact a fire and 2. if it doesn't create additional danger and instead helps to evacuate the room.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 am

1. When you're wearing clothing supplied to you by the University and you're speaking from the football field, you're representing the University. It's clear from the guy's official NU football bio that he has specifically and deliberately used his position as a running backs coach to trumpet his Christian organization. Indeed, he casts what he does as taking "courageous" stands in the public square. I would argue that a kid who comes out as gay on the NU campus, represented as it is by Brown who emboldens himself by saying he speaks for Jesus, is far more courageous.

2. When you start to get rid of people because of what they say on a college campus, a chilling effect occurs and that's no good for intellectual inquiry (to the degree that even happens at an institution like Nebraska, not exactly the bright, shining light of the Big Ten). This guy needs to understand that it's not right to use his taxpayer-financed job to preach the gospel, particularly when it's so focused on scorn for some already-marginalized students. A public warning is the first step. My guess is that's not going to have any effect and he's still going to make his YouTube videos from the field in his NU togs and, at that point, he's fired for not heeding the warning.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 am

Meade wrote:Brown was not speaking on behalf of the university. He clarified that point.

He was expressing to his government his own personal religious beliefs. Yours and Henry Vilas's bigoted views opposing Brown's religious beliefs do not trump Brown's first amendment rights.

It is not for Brown to decide whether or not he is speaking on behalf of the University. That is for the University to decide.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am

wack wack wrote:
Meade wrote:Brown was not speaking on behalf of the university. He clarified that point.

It is not for Brown to decide whether or not he is speaking on behalf of the University. That is for the University to decide.

Brown has already decided he is speaking on behalf of the Bible, self-righteous turd that he is.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 am

Yup - one day, history books will marvel at how people like Brown were persecuted for, uh, persecuting people.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 am

Exactly how is Brown "persecuting" anyone?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GOD » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am

Meade wrote:Exactly how is Brown "persecuting" anyone?

MEADE, YOU ARE GOING TO HELL. I'VE SEEN HOW YOU ACT HERE AND IN YOUR PRIVATE LIFE AND IT IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND AT ALL.

CONSIDER THIS AN ACT OF LOVE; YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.
GOD

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:27 am

What, exactly, did I say that was bigoted?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am

What, exactly, did I say that was bigoted?

Don;t try to make sense of it. Meade is a raving asshole who makes up facts and definitions along with revising history. To Meade hating bigotry is bigotry. It's not. But good luck trying to explain that to that turd flinging dishonest ideologue. Why doesn't everyone else have this dipshit blocked? Can we please stop quoting his drivel?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:27 am

When someone publicly grandstands their hatred for gay people to this extent, they usually turn out to be overcompensating, self-loathing closet cases trying to deceive.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking