MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Garbage is back

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Garbage is back

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 am

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Garbage is back

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Meh. Respect Butch but was never a fan of his band.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dead ed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm

they're good at what they do....
dead ed

Postby jammybastard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Andy wrote a damn fine article.
One of the better ones I've read in the 18 years I've been reading the Isthmus.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:25 pm

If Club de Wash was the workhorse of venues back then, G.S. Vig's was an underground darling of the music scene, with O'Cayz Corral and Merlyn's. Think Project Lodge with cigarette smoke and without irony.

GS Vigs was NOTHING like ProLo. It was a dirty, grimy rock club -- nothing very darling about it at all. And O'Cayz was not a regular music venue when Vigs was operating.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 pm

But yeah. Garbage has never had anything to do with the Madison music scene AT ALL.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby defactobrigade » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 pm

BUT they will still win Madison magazine's best Madison band for the next 5 years again now. UGH.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:48 pm

Big band swing music is BACK!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am

defactobrigade wrote:BUT they will still win Madison magazine's best Madison band for the next 5 years again now. UGH.

ha! :/
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 am

Happy for Butch but not planning any acquisitions or live music attendance in the wake of this news.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:28 am

Heard a couple of tracks. Very dancey. Very 90s. Very boring.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby Stomach » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Its raining, but I'm going to Pondamonium anyway.

Looking forward to seeing Garbage again although on initial listen the new album didn't grab me. I've seen the Flaming Lips before but not since they played Willow Island. I'm hoping for a weird cover song.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 am

So how was it? If I remember the schedule right, the rain stopped before their set.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:18 am

I said I was looking forward to seeing Garbage again but it was more out of curiosity than anything else, really I had no expectations. Having said that, I thought they were great. It did rain through the beginning of their set though.

The set was heavy on the first two albums and at least a handful of songs from the new one. Were there two albums in between those? I have no idea but I hadn't really listened to the early records for a long time so it was great to hear those songs again. Standouts: Stupid Girl, Push It, Special, Only Happy When It Rains (different arrangement than the record, with a quiet intro), Queer, #1 Crush and Vow was the encore.

Shirley's voice was great and she was very energetic and wound up (see Cap Times blag/review). Band sounded tight, mix was good although Steve Markers guitar could have been a bit louder. Their overall sound is a little too electronic for me, the drums especially could have sounded a bit more organic, if that makes sense. Maybe its just me, that's the kind of band they are, after all.

Flaming Lips are fun live, hadn't seen them since they played Willow Island about years ago? Good times, as they say.

Light crowd given the amount of space they have there, I'm sure the weather didn't help.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Stomach wrote:Light crowd given the amount of space they have there, I'm sure the weather didn't help.

I thought "low turnout" at first, but then realized that we were on a baseball field. I'd like to see the final ticket sales figures, but expect the crowd would have nicely filled the Orpheum (RIP) or the Eagles Ballroom.

They could easily host huge concerts in the future, but they would need more vending and likely parking. The Mallards claim there is seating for 6,750, so I could see at least double, perhaps triple that for a sold-out concert.

This venue has all sorts of potential. I was quite happy to see low-key security and friendly staff everywhere I went. It reminded me of why I avoid the Rave/Eagles Club like the plague (have they improved at all recently?). People were in a great mood despite the rain. Even KAP'n Craig showed up with his pole-cam (pictures already online!), which I'm happy to see was not considered a security hazard.

Sound was pretty damn good (although with the standard rock-formula overwhelming-and-muddy bass frequencies), if a bit loud when all instruments were going full-bore. A friend of mine forgot his earplugs and was disappointed they didn't have any cheapo ones for sale at the venue. Next time?

Parking was easy (and, for now, free), good beer on tap, great music-- all in all, two thumbs way up.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music