MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Interesting Study - What's Your Take?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Interesting Study - What's Your Take?

Postby Remember_Me » Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 pm

This doesn't surprise me one bit and reflects what I've personally witnessed through life.

Atheists and agnostics are more driven by compassion to help others than are highly religious people, a new study finds.

That doesn't mean highly religious people don't give, according to the research to be published in the July 2012 issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science. But compassion seems to drive religious people's charitable feelings less than it other groups.

"Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not," study co-author and University of California, Berkeley social psychologist Robb Willer said in a statement. "The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns."

"Overall, this research suggests that although less religious people tend to be less trusted in the U.S., when feeling compassionate, they may actually be more inclined to help their fellow citizens than more religious people," Willer said.

Read the rest...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Interesting Study - What's Your Take?

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm not aware of any atheist-based charitable organizations....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 01, 2012 6:50 pm

That's because, as usual, you can't accept that atheism is simply a lack of belief, not a specific principle on which to hang a philosophy.

But certainly you're aware of lots of non-theist charities, right?
I mean, you've heard of Goodwill, right?
Doctors Without Borders?
Amnesty International?
The Nature Conservancy?
Rotary Clubs?
The Union of Concerned Scientists?
UNICEF?
The Wheelchair Foundation?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue May 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Well, I've volunteered as a Big Brother for over half of the last 25 years. You, Ned?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 pm

If there were some way to monetize feeding trolls, a number of Forons would qualify for a BIG charitable contribution deduction.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue May 01, 2012 9:03 pm

gargantua wrote:If there were some way to monetize feeding trolls, a number of Forons would qualify for a BIG charitable contribution deduction.

You call it feeding trolls; I call it an important (and easy) counter to a pervasive belief that Ned no doubt really subscribes to.

Why You Don't Need God to be Good: the Rise of Atheist Charities
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Interesting Study - What'so Your Take?

Postby Igor » Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 pm

So, the study seems to say that atheists and religious people both donate to charity, but you need to show the atheists a sad video with Sarah McLachlan music first to prime the pump. Not sure what the angle is here - "atheist donations are better because they are emotional?"

Regardless, online debates of this sort are even less fun than the ones in person. I think I will pass.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 am

Ned Flanders wrote:I'm not aware of any atheist-based charitable organizations....

Are you aware of any atheist organizations that preach racism, homophobia, misogyny, and hatred in general toward anything that is not atheist?

Save your non-sequitur pictures and Clinton jokes, we all know the answer is, "no."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 am

wack wack wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I'm not aware of any atheist-based charitable organizations....

Are you aware of any atheist organizations that preach racism, homophobia, misogyny, and hatred in general toward anything that is not atheist?

Save your non-sequitur pictures and Clinton jokes, we all know the answer is, "no."

I'm aware of the nutty, incestuous, crooked, now deceased O'Hair family. I'm also aware of the "crazier than a shithouse rat" Gaylors and their "Freedom from Religion Foundation". Both have been/are the face of atheism. Neither is charitable.

With leaders like these, you wonder why atheists are completely marginalized?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 am

That's right, Ned -- things which are not charities are not charities. That's some mighty astute thinking there. I'd say nice dodge, but of course, you'd actually have to be on the same track to do that.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 02, 2012 12:01 pm

I think it's safe to say that those orgs are the face of atheism to those who abhor atheism. We all know that the vast majority of atheists simply don't go to church and that's that. They don't join an organization to explain themselves. Why would someone who doesn't believe in joining things join something?

A few questions for the devout Ned Flanders: Is casting those who believe differently from you as "crazier than a shithouse rat" the Christian thing to do? What would your priest say about that? Are you going to give that up in confession?

Do you go to confession? Is your church about keeping score in the good works department?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Remember folks-- If you don't maintain a constant fear of an invisible sky wizard throwing you into a lake of fire for all eternity, you are a subhuman that's incapable of morality.

Oh, and incidentally:
Ned Flanders wrote:With leaders like these, you wonder why atheists are completely marginalized?

Aside from fighting legal cases when (some) Christians try to ram their beliefs down the throats of everyone in the vicinity, why would atheists need leaders?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 02, 2012 1:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:I think it's safe to say that those orgs are the face of atheism to those who abhor atheism.
Exactly. This atheist has never, nor would I ever, contribute to the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

jjoyce wrote:Why would someone who doesn't believe in joining things join something?
Speaking only for myself, it isn't that I don't believe in joining things, it's that joining a group based on what you don't do is nonsensical. It'd be like joining a club for people who don't like to ski. Or belonging to an organization for people who don't collect beer cans.

It doesn't take any effort or thought to not believe in a god. As I've pointed out many times, everybody doesn't believe in most gods. I doubt very highly that any Christians walk around all day actively engaged in denying the existence of Apollo or Kukulkán, and I'd be very surprised if any of them started a club to actively promote those non-beliefs.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed May 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I doubt very highly that any Christians walk around all day actively engaged in denying the existence of Apollo or Kukulkán, and I'd be very surprised if any of them started a club to actively promote those non-beliefs.

This actually sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone else want to start a club denying the existence of Apollo? Just Apollo, any other of the Greek gods are fine, but there is no way someone sits that close to the sun while it's pulled across the sky.

Anyway, it seems pretty straight forward. Highly religious people are told to give and be charitable by their church, making it somewhat required and a duty to complete. What happens when something becomes compulsory?
Meanwhile people who don't believe in a deity (or think that those claiming to represent "him" are full of it) are free to be nice to others simply because they want to.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 02, 2012 3:10 pm

wack wack wrote:

Perhaps it's a bit historical, but Nazis as well as Soviet and other communists come to mind. DPRK would be a contemporary example.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines