MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Kansas and religion

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Kansas and religion

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 12, 2012 9:59 am

Kansas lawmakers pass anti-Islamic law measure

A bill designed to prevent Kansas courts or government agencies from making decisions based on Islamic or other foreign legal codes has cleared the state Legislature after a contentious debate about whether the measure upholds American values or appeals to prejudice against Muslims.


Will ultra Christian Kansas also pass a law forbidding their courts or government agencies from making decisions based on the Bible? I assume they already have made such decisions on issues such as gay rights and abortion.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19993
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby DCB » Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Kansas lawmakers pass anti-Islamic law measure

Will ultra Christian Kansas also pass a law forbidding their courts or government agencies from making decisions based on the Bible? I assume they already have made such decisions on issues such as gay rights and abortion.


As a first-amendment absolutist, I support them. I just don't think it goes far enough.

Unlike the Muslims, the Catholics are the ones who seem to be most active imposing their doctrines on on government agencies.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2709
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Worry about the Mormon takeover of D.C.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 13, 2012 1:11 pm

DCB wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Kansas lawmakers pass anti-Islamic law measure

Will ultra Christian Kansas also pass a law forbidding their courts or government agencies from making decisions based on the Bible? I assume they already have made such decisions on issues such as gay rights and abortion.


As a first-amendment absolutist, I support them. I just don't think it goes far enough.

Unlike the Muslims, the Catholics are the ones who seem to be most active imposing their doctrines on on government agencies.

Not that I disagree with you, but in Kansas fundamentalist evangelicals hold much more sway than the RCC.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19993
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun May 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Kansas lawmakers pass anti-Islamic law measure

A bill designed to prevent Kansas courts or government agencies from making decisions based on Islamic or other foreign legal codes has cleared the state Legislature after a contentious debate about whether the measure upholds American values or appeals to prejudice against Muslims.


Will ultra Christian Kansas also pass a law forbidding their courts or government agencies from making decisions based on the Bible? I assume they already have made such decisions on issues such as gay rights and abortion.

I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.


Even if that notion was conceded, let's just say scientific progress has now rendered that notion moot.

There's a lot of things we're doing differently these days compared to 200+ years ago.

Time to adopt them and keep moving forward.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.

No doubt they had an influence, as did the Enlightment and deist thought. But are you saying that Founder Fathers Jefferson and Adams were wrong?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19993
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby pjbogart » Sun May 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.


The Bible also forbids you to eat shellfish or pork. Could a State ban the consumption of lobsters and bacon?

On a side note, I seriously wonder what percentage of Christians simply don't understand that Jews and Muslims have the same Old Testament as Christians. Jews and Muslims don't eat pork for a reason. It's in the Bible, which is also part of the Koran and the Torah. Moises? Ibrahim? Sound familiar?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6169
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun May 13, 2012 11:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.


The Bible also forbids you to eat shellfish or pork. Could a State ban the consumption of lobsters and bacon?

On a side note, I seriously wonder what percentage of Christians simply don't understand that Jews and Muslims have the same Old Testament as Christians. Jews and Muslims don't eat pork for a reason. It's in the Bible, which is also part of the Koran and the Torah. Moises? Ibrahim? Sound familiar?

It is not the same. The Qur'an borrows portions and passages from the Old Testament / Torah, but it is a very different work.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2889
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 14, 2012 9:21 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.

No doubt they had an influence, as did the Enlightment and deist thought. But are you saying that Founder Fathers Jefferson and Adams were wrong?

Not the "deist" canard again. :roll:

Hank, just because you wish the past to be a certain way, doesn't make it so...we'll maybe it does here and in your noggin.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 14, 2012 9:26 am

Remember_Me wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.


Even if that notion was conceded, let's just say scientific progress has now rendered that notion moot.

There's a lot of things we're doing differently these days compared to 200+ years ago.

Time to adopt them and keep moving forward.


Exactly. Those clunky, icky things like the history of the Western World, the Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, so musty and racist.
I mean, we're evolved! We have ipads and Internets! And have you seen the cans on Megan Fox????
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I think you forgot about the part about the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of Western Society and their importance to the founding of this nation.

No doubt they had an influence, as did the Enlightment and deist thought. But are you saying that Founder Fathers Jefferson and Adams were wrong?

Not the "deist" canard again. :roll:

Hank, just because you wish the past to be a certain way, doesn't make it so...we'll maybe it does here and in your noggin.

Then I suggest you edit the following Wiki entry, as anyone with the supportable facts can do so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism#Deis ... ted_States

Nothing to say about what Jefferson and Adams wrote?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19993
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Galoot » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 am

The Constitution is Judeo-Christian? Where, exactly?

An interesting factoid--the Founding Fathers were so intent on NOT favoring any religion (including Christianity in general) that they required the USPS to sort and deliver mail on Sundays. This continued right up until the Civil War.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm

Re: Kansas and religion

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:And have you seen the cans on Megan Fox????


No.

*sigh
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: About town.


Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar