MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Birther Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 am

Nice! Meade unintentionally trolled about half the regulars of TDPF with this poorly-titled thread.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 6:45 am

Heh, pj is even talking about it in another thread - there's a birther on the loose on TDP!

All this uproar because people can't be bothered to click on a link.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 18, 2012 7:00 am

Meade wrote:It's the sort of checking one box when it gives you an advantage and then not checking that box when it doesn't that I find hard to take.

Isn't this, in essence, how rich people do their taxes? Or apply for loans?

When I was applying for schools, friends of mine whose parents were divorced always claimed mom's income to better position them for financial aid.

Is that cheating the system?

Do you feel (reverse) discriminated against, Meade?

FTTS2001
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 7:05 am

See JJ gets it - all Obama did was check the box that says his mother was A Kenyan villager.

Everybody does it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 am

It's like becoming Irish for St. patty's day.

I plan to have some Russian in me for the next winter Olympics.

Go Mother Russia!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 7:31 am

Also very proud of my west African heritage since discovering it during the "Roots" miniseries in 1977.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 am

I make a point not to click on links posted by Meade. I put it in the same category as ads for ED or free iPads.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 8:00 am

Shit. Just realized I never unchecked my Taiwanese box after Linsanity ended. hey Meade, how about giving me a heads up next time?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 am

jjoyce wrote:Isn't this, in essence, how rich people do their taxes? Or apply for loans?

Not only rich people, Jason. Taxpayers at all levels practice tax avoidance. It's one of the main arguments for flatter taxes - make the system less unfair by removing loopholes that some but not all people are able to take advantage of. Encourage honesty and integrity by removing bendable rules.

Your analogy is a good one, Jason. How fair are systems, like affirmative action and our current tax system, when schools like Harvard and individuals like Elizabeth Warren (and possibly Barack Obama) are able to game those systems at someone else's expense?

jjoyce wrote:When I was applying for schools, friends of mine whose parents were divorced always claimed mom's income to better position them for financial aid.

How did that make you feel? Did you think to yourself Gee, poor friends of mine - their parents are divorced and mine aren't. They deserve a competitive advantage at my expense.

jjoyce wrote:Is that cheating the system?

You tell me, Jason. It's a system that tempts people to cheat. But to use your very apt analogy, taxes, we have two very distinct actions: One, tax avoidance - is not illegal and is widely practiced. Tax avoidance is analogous to gaming the system by checking the box as Elizabeth Warren (and possibly Barack Obama) did. It would be like your friends checking a box for "parents divorced".

The second action is tax evasion - which is illegal and is a serious crime. Tax evasion is analogous to hiding your other divorced parent's income. It's lying by not telling the whole truth.

It's like un checking the box - as Elizabeth Warren (and possibly Barack Obama) did.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 am

Meade wrote:It's lying by not telling the whole truth.

Just thought this might come in handy someday.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri May 18, 2012 9:06 am

bdog wrote:Heh, pj is even talking about it in another thread - there's a birther on the loose on TDP!

All this uproar because people can't be bothered to click on a link.

Bdog, do you honestly believe the main purpose of that article was to talk about Obama's tendency to reinvent his persona periodically? They weren't reigniting the birther debate despite saying several times that they, personally, believed that Obama was born in Hawaii? Really?

The wonderful thing about propaganda is that your target audience doesn't actually know that it's propaganda.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 18, 2012 9:09 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Where did you come up with that quote, you disingenuous fuck?

Click on it, Henry. It's a hyperlink. The quote is from Obama's literary agent. For some reason, it was scrubbed - not in the early 90's when it was written - but 15 years later, in 2007. Makes you wonder why, doesn't it? Makes you wonder if, in the early 90's, "checking the box" born in Kenya might've given Obama certain advantages that, of course, needed to be "unchecked" in 2007, the year he began running for president.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 am

I gotta admit, it's a lot more fun to talk about Obama's birthplace and whether anyone might have been confused about it, than it is to talk about Romney and several cohorts holding down a screaming terrified kid while he took a sharp instrument to his hair, and then paraded it around the school to show what happens to people who don't toe the line.

This is lots more fun. Because it's relevant to something or other.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 9:28 am

Yup, the future POTUS lying about where he was born is irrelevant.

Does not reflect badly on his character one bit.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:33 am

Acton... confirmed precise details of the booklet and said that it cost the agency tens of thousands of dollars to produce.

He indicated that while "almost nobody" wrote his or her own biography, the non-athletes in the booklet, whom "the agents deal[t] with on a daily basis," were as "probably" approached to approve the text presented.

So, somebody (i.e. not Obama) wrote a brief bio about Obama. He may have been approached to review that bio. That bio, which evidently contained false information, was later "scrubbed".

Therefore, Obama is like a tax-evader? Am I following this argument correctly?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government