MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Birther Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"

Postby Meade » Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Is that how these kinds of arguments work?

It is if, instead of attention and laughs at such a high level of snark, you were seeking a high level of political power. You think it shouldn't?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:No, all the trivial minutiae about candidates actions from decades ago are equally irrelevant.

Sorry, I guess I forgot this:

:roll:

my apologies
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 am

Detritus wrote:If you seriously believe that a U.S. college application form has to box to check to indicate that you were born in Kenya, then yes, you are crazy.

When applying to the University of Hawaii and later to Harvard to study economics, Obama's father checked a box that indicated he was a citizen of Kenya. Was that crazy?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 11:37 am

Either we have another Lizzy "pale-face" Warren situation on our hands or something much more serious.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri May 18, 2012 11:45 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:So even though I'm nearly twice as old as when I did the most recent of those (admittedly bad) things, I'm obviously not qualified to make better judgements now. Is that how these kinds of arguments work?

What have you done with your life since that time? Have you made positive contributions to society and life that would clearly delineate those behaviors as the errors of youth?

Romney's life for decades is fairly well known, and there is no evidence he has ever done anything to contribute positively to the world. In fact, from all the evidence I can find, Romney's influence in the world has been overwhelmingly negative. He's never changed from the day he assaulted a fellow student.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

wack wack wrote:Romney's life for decades is fairly well known, and there is no evidence he has ever done anything to contribute positively to the world. In fact, from all the evidence I can find, Romney's influence in the world has been overwhelmingly negative. He's never changed from the day he assaulted a fellow student.

Creating jobs, saving the Olympics, Governor of MA, raising responsible children....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri May 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
wack wack wrote:Romney's life for decades is fairly well known, and there is no evidence he has ever done anything to contribute positively to the world. In fact, from all the evidence I can find, Romney's influence in the world has been overwhelmingly negative. He's never changed from the day he assaulted a fellow student.

Creating jobs, saving the Olympics, Governor of MA, raising responsible children....
But Ned, he fired people.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Creating jobs, saving the Olympics, Governor of MA, raising responsible children....

...never fudging the fact that he was born in Detroit, Michigan...
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri May 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Meade wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Creating jobs, saving the Olympics, Governor of MA, raising responsible children....

...never fudging the fact that he was born in Detroit, Michigan...

Well...he may have fudged some during the Lions' Matt Millen years. Aye yuh.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Meade wrote:
Detritus wrote:If you seriously believe that a U.S. college application form has to box to check to indicate that you were born in Kenya, then yes, you are crazy.

When applying to the University of Hawaii and later to Harvard to study economics, Obama's father checked a box that indicated he was a citizen of Kenya. Was that crazy?

I feel like I gotta keep explaining YOU PEOPLE's posts in this here thread.

The Larrys here are asserting that Obama may have indicated that his father was born outside of the US. That's possible, but rather unlikely that a college application would ask about your parents' origins (unless it was for financial aid ... I don't know what an app for that looked like in the 60s).

However, they both stated this as if these college applications had a CHECK BOX next to a question like "IS YOUR FATHER FROM KENYA?" Which is highly unlikely, unless Harvard and U of Hawaii were specifically looking for people of Kenyan origin or had three pages of checkboxes asking which of the 100+ of the world's countries the applicant's parents were from.

So yes, to think that there was such a specific checkbox yes-or-no question is crazy. To think that there was a general, fill-in the blank question is not so crazy.

Now let us get back to the real issue, of whether or not Obama is a Reptilian from Alpha Draconis like 2/3 of the presidents before him.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 1:05 pm

The top elections official in Arizona says it is "possible" President Obama won't be listed on the state's November ballot because of questions about his birth certificate.

Full story.

Die birtherism, die.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
The top elections official in Arizona says it is "possible" President Obama won't be listed on the state's November ballot because of questions about his birth certificate.

Full story.

Die birtherism, die.

Hank flails wildly between charges of "birtherism" and "racism". It's gonna get a lot worse after Walker wins and as we approach November.

Tighten up that rupture belt Henry. The ride's about to get a lot rougher.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

Full story.

Die birtherism, die.

It really does need to. From that article:
"But my responsibility as secretary of State is to make sure the ballots in Arizona are correct and that those people whose names are on the ballot have met the qualifications for the office they are seeking," he said.

Has the AZ Secretary of State verified the qualification of Mitt Romney? Did he verify McCain's four years ago? Has his office done this for previous sitting presidents?

I have not and will not vote for Obama. But I believe that this birther thing is perhaps the dumbest waste of energy people on the right could take part in (and still stick to my conspiracy theory that Obama held off on releasing his birth certificate for as long as he did because it kept a chunk of his opponents invested in a silly debate).

Back to Meade's wiki link in the very first post: there are some interesting bits about other presidential candidates whose citizenship has been questioned, including Mitt's father, who was born in Mexico.

But the whole debate, besides being silly, has always been irrelevant to me. It doesn't matter if Obama was born in Kenya -- his mother was a U.S. citizen at the time and that makes him a U.S. citizen at the time whether he was born in the U.S., Kenya or on the moon. "Natural born citizen" does not have any definition in the Constitution and I agree with those who take it to mean someone who was a citizen by birth, rather than someone who took their first breath in U.S. airspace.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Hank flails wildly between charges of "birtherism" and "racism".

They are not mutually exclusive and you seem to embrace both.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Larry Kaufmann » Fri May 18, 2012 2:52 pm

The Larrys here are asserting that Obama may have indicated that his father was born outside of the US. That's possible, but rather unlikely that a college application would ask about your parents' origins (unless it was for financial aid ... I don't know what an app for that looked like in the 60s).

However, they both stated this as if these college applications had a CHECK BOX next to a question like "IS YOUR FATHER FROM KENYA?" Which is highly unlikely, unless Harvard and U of Hawaii were specifically looking for people of Kenyan origin or had three pages of checkboxes asking which of the 100+ of the world's countries the applicant's parents were from.

So yes, to think that there was such a specific checkbox yes-or-no question is crazy. To think that there was a general, fill-in the blank question is not so crazy.

I never meant that this was a yes/no box to check, and don't think I implied that either, but isn't it standard practice for college applications to ask both your date of birth and place of birth? Did Obama fudge the truth on the latter question? Who knows, why not release his entire college file and, as I say, put this issue to bed.
Larry Kaufmann

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government