MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Hey Admin: please consider deleting Intrade update thread

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Hey Admin: please consider deleting Intrade update threa

Postby Meade » Sat May 19, 2012 5:44 pm

sallybell wrote:That's pretty misogynistic, Meade, particularly for one who likes to call others bigots.

Meow.

They're all dicks then. There. Happy, sallybell?

Dickish meowing pussies for starting such a crybaby thread, complaining about one other thread that offends their sense of spam - so they say. It isn't spam. It's one single thread that they don't have to click on if they don't feel like it.

Whatever happened to the courage to embrace and engage with diverse ideas and opinions?

(By the way, have I ever actually called anyone a bigot? Show me or withdraw your attack. I call people out on their bigotry. I think that's different.)
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Meade wrote:...have I ever actually called anyone a bigot?
... I call people out on their bigotry. I think that's different.)

It is? Please elucidate. Parse away, if you can.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat May 19, 2012 6:29 pm

I guess the better question is: "Does the Intrade thread intend to further conversation or is its sole purpose to irritate readers?" Frankly, I don't see why people bother responding to it. You might as well have an argument with your cat as try to convince Meade of anything.

And bdog is right, complaining about the thread is a win for Meade, given that his sole reason for being here is to piss people off. I guess it's working. Try your ignore button.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Sat May 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Meade wrote:
sallybell wrote:That's pretty misogynistic, Meade, particularly for one who likes to call others bigots.

Meow.

They're all dicks then. There. Happy, sallybell?

Dickish meowing pussies for starting such a crybaby thread, complaining about one other thread that offends their sense of spam - so they say. It isn't spam. It's one single thread that they don't have to click on if they don't feel like it.

Whatever happened to the courage to embrace and engage with diverse ideas and opinions?

(By the way, have I ever actually called anyone a bigot? Show me or withdraw your attack. I call people out on their bigotry. I think that's different.)

1. Re-use of the same slang as a slur, but combined with a "meow" (are you implying that I'm 'catty'?), and a "dick," doesn't mean that you're not using misogynistic language.

2. I'm not going to comb through threads to find your exact wording. Calling people bigots, calling out what you claim is bigotry...whateves. The point is still the same. If you're going to try to ride some high horse of superior tolerance/acceptance, then don't use misogynistic language in the very same forum...or at least don't complain about it when you get called out on it.
sallybell

Postby Meade » Sat May 19, 2012 7:46 pm

sallybell wrote:and a "dick," doesn't mean that you're not using misogynistic language.

1. I'm not convinced that "pussy" is misogynistic language but you are welcome to make an argument for why it is.

2. If I were a misogynist, I would not use the word "pussy" because, as a misogynist, I would be concerned that the women on this forum would not be able to handle such language - delicate and weak as I, in my theoretically misogynistic mind, would believe them to be.

3. If "pussy" is in fact misogynistic language, wouldn't "dick" be misandrostic language? And if so, why did you attempt to discipline me for using what you claim is misogynistic language but not for using misandrostic language?

sallybell, I'm not just trying to ride some high horse of superior tolerance/acceptance, I ride that 16 hand high horse of tolerance and acceptance. You may notice that it is not I who is - out of intolerance, oversensitivity, and arrogance - asking the administrator to delete other forum members' threads and it is not I who attempts to discipline and censor other members' language.
Last edited by Meade on Sat May 19, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Meade wrote:Aww... poor babies.

Hey look, you are the spammers, not me. The thread has 3000 views.

Instead of whining like a litter of pussies, why not start topics that compete for views? Be more interesting - with more speech, more viewpoint diversity, more dissent.

Pussies.

Wow, 3000+ views! Ya know I wouldn't wear this as a badge of honor. I don't know if you have noticed, but in general the more views and replies the more annoying the thread (ask Blaska). But I'm not criticizing forons for coming after you, more power to the people. With regard to view point diversity, you contribute little more than if I chose to listen to 1310 back and forth during my work days. I reluctantly appreciate your spirit, but taking the low road in your "diversity and dissent" puts you squarely in the dick column.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 23, 2012 2:00 pm

I love the thread. Keep updating us Meade.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 pm

The best way to diminish the contributions of the retired and semi-retired doofuses (doofi?) that have been gagging up pixels on these boards recently, each attempting to get the last word in, is to overwhelm it with quality.

It's tough to keep pace with the jobless weirdos, but there have been cloudbursts of interesting, funny, irreverent and thought provoking posts in the past and it will happen again.

Incidentally, that Intrade thread has 40 views per post, which is like getting a B- in junior high shop class. Don't you get that just for typing some letters in the box? Just taking a glance around the boards, "West side party venue that allows BYOB?" got over double that. "Supermoon Rises Saturday night 6:14pm" got over triple.

My neighbor's garage sale (lots of baby clothes, no sporting equipment or furniture) got more traffic last Saturday afternoon.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Meade wrote:I ride that 16 hand high horse of tolerance and acceptance.

A keeper, once again.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 23, 2012 4:46 pm

I liked Meade's relationship advice found in the "Having Sex with Scott Walker" article over there ----->

Moderate Meade wrote:What you need to do is to practice sweet surrender to your husband so that, with any luck, he will discover his manhood and learn that what his wife and most heterosexual women want more than anything is to be sexually dominated by a man who will stand up and be strong, decisive, and confident.

Try this, Violated: Everyday, tell your husband that you approve of him, that you love everything about him, and that he has your open consent and carte blanche in your sexual relationship. Together, just the two of you, over and over again, watch scenes like this one from the movie Casablanca where Ilsa tells Rick that he will have to do the thinking for both of them.

Is he joking? He must be. But maybe not. Maybe pretending that he's joking?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 pm

jjoyce wrote:The best way to diminish the contributions of the retired and semi-retired doofuses

Ageism!!!!

sallybell, help!!!

I will acknowledge, however, that every now and then, even an elitist ageist like jjoyce gets it right: Raise your game, people. Stop whining. Compete. Drive out boring old semi-employed doofuses with better material. Party venues. Astrological events. Garage sales.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm

pjbogart wrote:Is he joking?

Joking about what, peej?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 23, 2012 6:31 pm

It's tough to keep pace with the jobless weirdos, but there have been cloudbursts of interesting, funny, irreverent and thought provoking posts in the past and it will happen again.

It's not just here, it's everywhere:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/passiveaggressive/6554915221/

The joking issue (pj) can be understood by re-reading the post (above, in this thread) that begins like this:
Meade wrote:1. I'm not convinced that "pussy" is misogynistic language but you are welcome to make an argument for why it is.

Read that one line again. He's telling everybody exactly what he welcomes: attention in the form of dispute. He freely makes up his own definitions for words (example: conflating misogyny with overprotectiveness of women or underestimation of women, just begging for someone to disagree with him), changes the terms of his presentation or hops to another when one goes downhill, and does whatever enters his mind to keep the posts coming. It doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to amount to a coherent viewpoint, it doesn't have to do anything at all but get people riled up.

I haven't the slightest idea what the intrade topic is supposed to mean. He likely won't tell us if we ask, and if he decides to tell us and someone disagrees he'll go off on some random tangent like the Obama birth thing. It's like arguing with an eight-year-old smart enough to give his parents a hard time but not smart enough to change their minds or make adult decisions himself.

Remember this is the guy who started coming over here to straighten out the poor benighted liberals. He got his clock cleaned enough times to give that up, so now he changed his mission to confounding the liberals, which is a game invented by himself and having no rules. Every now and then he steps out of character and tries to act like a regular guy, but the record shows it's just another head fake. There's no "there" there.

With no rules, there can be no winners except the click-counters. Good exchanges still happen working around the "don't discuss-the-topic, pay-attention-to-me" posts, though. It's kind of like us east siders living under the airport approach lane -- you just wait a minute, the plane goes over, and you take up right where you left off.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 24, 2012 6:36 am

Meade wrote:better material

Errr, plenty of time, little to do.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 am

snoqueen wrote:I haven't the slightest idea what the intrade topic is supposed to mean.

It means that it's quite easy to get under Larry's skin, and I sincerely apologize to all of Foronia for my part in instigating him. I'll try not to make that mistake again.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com