MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Random thoughts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Random thoughts

Postby Meade » Sun May 20, 2012 8:32 am

Longer than there's been blue-green algae in Lake Mendota, I've liked Dan Fogelberg.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 pm

My chickens do a good job in helping me turn the compost pile. While pitching composted hay, it is best to be up wind.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm

I keep hearing a low-pitched roaring, rumbling sound. Please help me to identify the source of this noise.

If this is of any help, it seems to come from somewhere near the airport.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 am

From an article about Google and requests to take down links to copyrighted material:

When copyright holders believe there is content Google is linking to that violates their copyright, they first fill out a form on Google's website. Google's computers will then try to determine whether the claim is legitimate. After an automated review, a human will take a look at the request as well.

It's nice that the Google is still including us for the moment.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 am

What a night to have insomnia, even after all that wine...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:16 am

Completely tuned out to all media, including the rest of this board, has made last night and today pretty normal. Try it.

And everybody should just take down their yard signs. Everybody knows how we feel in Madison, no need to clutter up the environment anymore. Stepp will take care of that.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 am

I don't care for the new flashing yellow left turn arrows they've been installing. Right or wrong, a flashing yellow is basically treated like a green w/caution, with the assumption that drivers in your path are going to have a flashing red, which isn't the case here. Twice I've had my nose out in the intersection watching oncoming traffic, now somewhat oblivious to the presence of a yellow light that used to be my signal to get ready to go, didn't register when the flashing stopped and found myself just sitting out there at a red light.

Which of course is my problem, but I have to wonder just what was wrong with the old system.

On a side note, I believe it's actually illegal to sit in the intersection until the light is red and then turn left.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:22 am

narcoleptish wrote:...but I have to wonder just what was wrong with the old system.

For one, the "old system" necessitated a red arrow for left turns while there was a green light for those going straight (at least for intersections which have separate signals for the left turn lane). This caused unnecessary backups in left turn lanes. Previously, you'd be required to sit in the left turn waiting for the lights to cycle around to a green left turn arrow.

Often, however, there are breaks in oncoming traffic which allow for safe left turns under the flashing yellow arrow. The flashing yellow arrow is the equivalent of a green light (note: not a green arrow, just a light) in an intersection in which the left turn lane shares the signal with traffic going straight.
Last edited by jman111 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:25 am

Meade wrote:Longer than there's been blue-green algae in Lake Mendota, I've liked Dan Fogelberg.

Did you like Fogelberg before he became an easy listening/soft rock act? I remember when Fogelberg and REO were hard rock staples of the midwest rock festival circuit. I assume they both made more money when they softened the sound up, but in my misspent youth they were pretty inspiring as rockers.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:25 pm

As I'm filling a five gallon jug at the Woodman's east filtered water dispenser an hour ago, a young "lady" walks up and sticks her finger in the stream and then announces to her friend and fellow fan of fried food, "that water's nasty", and then just walks away.

I'm still kinda speechless.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:I keep hearing a low-pitched roaring, rumbling sound. Please help me to identify the source of this noise.

Do you also smell oil? Because it could be the rumble of the diesel.

I like both of those things. I also percolate my coffee off the radiator boil. I like to keep it simple. It helps to keep me sane.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd sure hate to be the guy responsible for counting the number of active cultures in all these new probiotic products everywhere.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:41 am

I don't read library books on the shitter.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am

"People will doubt what you say, but believe what you do."
-Fortune Cookie
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm

So Henry, what you're saying is that we all need to witness bdog not reading library books on the shitter before we can believe him.

I'll just take his word.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All