MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

His Faith Wasn't Strong Enough

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

His Faith Wasn't Strong Enough

Postby Remember_Me » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Apparently.

These Pentecostals sure are a kooky bunch.

A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.

Pentecostal pastor Mark Wolford, 44, hosted an outdoor service at the Panther Wildlife Management Area in West Virginia Sunday, which he touted on his Facebook page prior to the event.

"I am looking for a great time this Sunday," Wolford wrote May 22, according to the Washington Post. "It is going to be a homecoming like the old days. Good 'ole raised in the holler or mountain ridge running, Holy Ghost-filled speaking-in-tongues sign believers."

Robin Vanover, Wolford's sister, told the Washington Post that 30 minutes into the outdoor service, Wolford passed around a poisonous timber rattlesnake, which eventually bit him.

"He laid it on the ground," Vanover said in the interview, "and he sat down next to the snake, and it bit him on the thigh."

Vanover said Wolford was then transported to a family member's home in Bluefield about 80 miles away to recover. But as the situation worsened, he was taken to a hospital where he later died.

Snake-handlers point to scripture as evidence that God calls them to engage in such a practice to show their faith in him. Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Wolford told the Washington Post magazine in 2011 that he is carrying on the tradition of his ancestors by engaging in snake handling.

"Anybody can do it that believes it," Wolford said. "Jesus said, 'These signs shall follow them which believe.' This is a sign to show people that God has the power."

Wolford said watched his own father die at the age of 39 after a rattlesnake bit him during a similar service.

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: His Faith Wasn't Strong Enough

Postby lardheppus » Thu May 31, 2012 10:39 pm

We need more snakes.
lardheppus
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 pm

lardheppus wrote:We need more snakes.

You mean pastors?

Same difference.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Having grown up in the Carolinas and Virginia, I've had some exposure to these clowns. One thing I've never understood is why they choose large timber rattlers. Timber rattlers are extremely neurotoxic. Maybe not as toxic as the Eastern Diamondback, but damn close. As a pal of mine from Harlan, Kentucky, once told me:
"Ok, they believe God will keep the snake from biting them. So, when they get bitten, do they really think God is gonna save them from the effects of the bite?"
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:54 pm

david cohen wrote:Having grown up in the Carolinas and Virginia, I've had some exposure to these clowns. One thing I've never understood is why they choose large timber rattlers. Timber rattlers are extremely neurotoxic. Maybe not as toxic as the Eastern Diamondback, but damn close. As a pal of mine from Harlan, Kentucky, once told me:
"Ok, they believe God will keep the snake from biting them. So, when they get bitten, do they really think God is gonna save them from the effects of the bite?"

Awesome post! Faith can be a tricky thing, no?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Throughout the history of mankind, there has always been a fine line between faith and foolishness. No doubt about that!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 pm

david cohen wrote:Throughout the history of mankind, there has always been a fine line between faith and foolishness. No doubt about that!

I truly agree with that.

Didn't they steal that from the artist?

Snake handling, falling backwards, going door to door (LDS/leftists) are all there to affirm their beliefs.
But to be honest, I see the same thing here where the true believers all ask for others to join in their "mutually agreed upon shunning/banishment" of those not lockstep in their same faith.

Weird how life is sometimes, isn't it? Predictably so.....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines