MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Goin' fishing, back in July

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Shame on union thugs

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:14 pm

The provenance of this mailer looks to be seriously in question.

If it's the best they can do at intimidation, big deal.

If it's someone's idea of a motivator to get out the vote, no problem.

I'm still not concerned that people know I voted, for pete sakes. I stood there in line with my bare face hanging out, along with a lot of other people Republican, Democrat, and neither. What's the matter with that?

We've seen a lot, lot worse in the past year and a half, including that execrable Janesville thing. If you want to intimidate, you pick off small groups one at a time, like the teachers in the Janesville school district. You don't start with "everybody who voted in the last election." That's plain laughable.

If they'd somehow managed to find and publicize HOW we all voted, then we'd have a problem.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:45 pm

I will ask you again Sno: what if you HAD NOT voted for a perfectly good reason, such as a medical emergency? How would you feel about the mailer then?

Maybe you are one to not give a damn what your neighbors think. If so, good for you.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Every Wisconsinite's voting record is on the state Government Accountability Board website and is easily searchable. How do you feel about that?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 pm

bdog wrote:Question for you Henry - do you see nothing wrong with this mailing?

Sure it's all legal. But do you have any moral objections to it?

Bump for Henry.

I already answered one of your questions; your turn.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Every Wisconsinite's voting record is on the state Government Accountability Board website and is easily searchable. How do you feel about that?

I never really thought about it. I do think the information can be mis-used.

You have mentioned a couple times how any one of us can easily find out your real name by reading your friend's book. You chose to out yourself, potentially. But...I would still think it was awful creepy if one of took you up on it, and came back here and posted your real name.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby singlemom » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 pm

In the Greater Wisconsin mailer, my high school son was listed as not voting in 2008 and 2010. He actually voted for the first time, at age 18, in April 2012. So, they shamed him for not voting when he was 14 and 16 years old! Showing random voters who miss elections like this is ridiculous. Anyone can miss an election for a personal reason like illness, accident, or family issue. I hope Walker is defeated in the recall. The funds for this mailing should have been used to advertise Walker's lies and corruption.
singlemom

Postby sallybell » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Every Wisconsinite's voting record is on the state Government Accountability Board website and is easily searchable. How do you feel about that?

My thoughts on the GAB website aside, I just re-visited it and checked my voting history, just to see how easily searchable (and complete) it was.

I voted in the May recall primary...but it's not showing up on the GAB website. I'm assuming it's because that data hasn't been loaded yet...but just because the past year or two has made me paranoid, can other folks who voted in the primary check to see if their voting record shows up, and report back?
sallybell

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:05 pm

bdog wrote:I will ask you again Sno: what if you HAD NOT voted for a perfectly good reason, such as a medical emergency? How would you feel about the mailer then?

Maybe you are one to not give a damn what your neighbors think. If so, good for you.

If I had a good reason, the fact I didn't (or couldn't) vote would be the truth and I would not mind its being publicized. In fact, I think I missed one of the school board primary elections last year, and my reason was not that I was in the ER, but that I couldn't decide who I favored.

I like my neighbors, and when I got that mailer I laughed because I was like 99% sure every single one on the list voted Democratic. Go 48th.

I can't figure out why you think this whole thing is so touchy. Do you find your neighbors scary? If you aren't friendly with them, why would you care what they think?

Looking at my flyer (which arrived in today's mail) I think it is another piece of right wing subterfuge though it's hard to say why. Maybe the paper just felt slimy in my fingers.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Goin' fishing, back in July

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Wait a minute. Assuming that the people at this PAC are actually supporting Barrett (it sounds as though they have a habit of embarrassing Democrats), why is it my responsibility to make excuses for them?

Are you going to take personal responsibility for every vicious and nasty ad put out by Republican PACs, bdog?

I guess bdog is responsible for Willie Horton, The Swiftboat Liars and claims that John McCain had an illegitimate black child.

Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 pm

sallybell:

The May election doesn't seem to be listed on the GAB site yet -- it doesn't appear on my record either, and I voted in person.

My absentee ballot for the June 5 election is shown, though.

https://vpa.wi.gov/VoterSearchScreen.aspx

For the squeamish: the GAB pages at this link are searchable by anyone, for any name, just like the court records pages.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mlmaguire » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:21 am

I received a flyer. It listed about 10 voters at 10 addresses. Including my address, and the address of one of my next door neighbors. The problem: both people listed at these addresses (both mine and my neighbor) were gone, long gone. Had not been at these addresses for more than 15 years. The person listed at my address had sold the house in 1997, and it went through two more changes before being sold to me. And I've been here 12 years now.

I do not know where this group got their info, but based just on what I got, its really REALLY old info. Definitely pre-Obama, and even pre-Bush. And thus I do not believe anything else on the flyer. All I believe is that whoever sent this to me, for whatever reason, wants me to think they are really really stupid.
mlmaguire

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:40 pm

All the mailer made me want to do (other than not vote) is spend as much time as necessary to find as much publicly-available information about "Greater Wisconsin..." and anyone associated with it, then send it to all of the major news outlets and forums.

Publicly available is one thing, publicly splashed all over is another... even if (like others have found) some of the information is out of date by at least a decade.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Detritus wrote:
Meade wrote:Are you talking about Huckleby's thread: "Janesville teacher pogrom"? Where is your posting, Detritus? Where is Henry Vilas's posting on that thread, decrying the use of recall petition names and salaries of Janesville teachers...?

Hilariously ironic that in this very thread that exposes the bullying, publishing, shaming that their side routinely and shamelessly engages in - Mr. Henry and Detritus use that very tactic to pressure me about something they themselves failed to do.

You're right, I didn't post on that mailing, nor have I weighed in on this one. I'm not the one making the latest mailing to be the first step toward totalitarianism. That would be you. That's why I am interested to know why this instance--which relies solely on public information--is so evil, when the Janesville one--which required an FOI filing to link signatures with salaries--apparently wasn't. Also, why this instance, which warns of the consequences of failing to vote (the guy YOU happen to like gets in) is intimidation, whereas the Janesville instance, which called signing teachers "radicals" and encouraged parents to take their kids out of the teachers' classes, apparently wasn't.

Not commenting on either case is not the equivalent of decrying one and defending the other. And I'm still waiting for your answer.

And...still waiting for your answer, Meade.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:22 pm

While out weeding (perhaps apropos), it occurred to me that this is a fake PAC designed to tick off those that may have voted against the Republicans in the past.

Do we know if thius group is really pro-Democrat (and inept), or yet another fake Democrat fronting for our truth-in-government Republican friends?
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:Do we know if this group is really pro-Democrat (and inept), or yet another fake Democrat fronting for our truth-in-government Republican friends?

The former--the two principals are Michelle McGrorty, whom you may remember from her immunized testimony against Chuck Chvala, and Kirk Brown, professional mouthpiece. You can read a bit about them in their entry in opensecrets.org.

They're a DLC-leaning 527 with a linked 501(c)(4), and happily take money from anyone, although by far their largest donors are DLC. Opensecret has partial donor lists from 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012, if you're curious.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government