MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Hua Jiao

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Hua Jiao

Postby Detritus » Wed May 23, 2012 8:40 pm

I confess, I think I'm addicted to hua jiao (Sichuan pepper). I can't cook pork or beef without it now, especially with hot peppers and ginger. If you're not familiar with the flavor, go to Fugu or Ichiban and order something Sichuan--spicy fish hotpot, for example, or cold rice noodles in spicy sauce.

More! I want more! Am I all alone in this?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hua Jiao

Postby NullDevice » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:52 pm

You are not alone.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:08 pm

NullDevice wrote:You are not alone.

Yes!

Check this out:

French fries dusted with crushed hua jiao. There's a sort of string-potatoes-with-hua-jiao dish at Fugu, but the potatoes aren't fried.

Want!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:09 pm

I would eat the hell out of that.

Of course, my face wold go numb reasonably qucikly, but, still...
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:26 pm

If you're that much of a fan, get "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper" by Fuschia Dunlop. A good read about an English woman's experience with Chinese cuisine.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:56 pm

msnflyer wrote:If you're that much of a fan, get "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper" by Fuschia Dunlop. A good read about an English woman's experience with Chinese cuisine.

I know about it, but I've never gotten a copy. Lots of people rave about it, though.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Her blog is pretty great too. There's a particularly fascinating entry where she takes very ripe cheeses to parts fo China famous for fermented foods to see how they go over (short answer: not well).

And my copies of her cookbooks are stained with various sauces and condiments. They are just fabulous.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 am

NullDevice wrote:Her blog is pretty great too. There's a particularly fascinating entry where she takes very ripe cheeses to parts fo China famous for fermented foods to see how they go over (short answer: not well).

And my copies of her cookbooks are stained with various sauces and condiments. They are just fabulous.

Had a Chinese couple over for dinner, there was Gorgonzola on the cheese plate. She made a horrible face and ran to the kitchen to spit it out. He loved the Cafe du Monde coffee with chicory. The 1000 year old eggs they served me weren't the best thing I've eaten but I was able to eat it. She made delicious steamed dumplings, even rolled the skins by hand.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues