MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 am

pjbogart wrote:That's the 13th immunity that has been granted, which I find a bit troubling. Why are so many people being let off the hook when they claim that their testimony may incriminate them? It somewhat lends itself to the "witchhunt" argument if prosecutors are willing to forgive and forget 13 criminals just to get to Walker. And what can criminal number 13 tell us that we couldn't get from the previous 12?

It tells me that criminals 1-13 weren't the target.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Well, looky here--maybe I missed this in an earlier story: Tim Russell is the one who leaked the "stonewalling" emails to the press.
The most significant turn of events came last week, on May 31, just as Walker and Barrett were preparing to debate that night, when Daniel Bice, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter who's been an absolute bulldog on this investigation, published a damaging piece in which Bice said that, contrary to Walker's repeated insistence that he had called for the John Doe investigation himself, the investigators on the case opened the investigation themselves after two years of stonewalling by Walker and his administration. Bice's story was based on a document filed with the court in the Russell case.

The conference in chambers lasted a little more than an hour. Once court resumed, Judge Hansher ruled that the trial itself would not begin until September, which, he said, would give the publicity surrounding the recall election a chance to die down, and ensure that Russell got a fair and impartial jury. Then, Hansher began talking about the document that had somehow gotten into the hands of Daniel Bice. "In chambers," the judge said, "Mr. Krueger admitted that he had given the material to Mr. Bice and that he had done so with his client's consent. Is that true?"

"Yes," said Dennis Krueger.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Well, looky here--maybe I missed this in an earlier story: Tim Russell is the one who leaked the "stonewalling" emails to the press.

Looks like the Walker camp is gonna have to find a bigger bus to throw this guy under.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:04 pm

If Walker wins tomorrow and this summer is indicted by the John Doe and/or the FBI (which I think is the bigger deal, ultimately) it'll almost be worthwhile. These deep-pockets conservatives need to take a hard look at what they're buying. I'm sure they like to think the entire thing is a setup on their boy, but it's kinda like nominating Sarah Palin for VP: as time passes it starts to look like a really, really stupid, destructive move.

Tim Russell has every reason to be pissed as hell and to spill the whole thing. What's he getting out of this any more?

Good story in the link, btw.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:If Walker wins tomorrow and this summer is indicted by the John Doe and/or the FBI (which I think is the bigger deal, ultimately) it'll almost be worthwhile.

If Barrett doesn't win, do you think Mitchell will? Otherwise, we might end up with Governor Kleefisch (shudder).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
snoqueen wrote:If Walker wins tomorrow and this summer is indicted by the John Doe and/or the FBI (which I think is the bigger deal, ultimately) it'll almost be worthwhile.

If Barrett doesn't win, do you think Mitchell will? Otherwise, we might end up with Governor Kleefisch (shudder).

That's why, to my mind, electing Barrett is less important than electing Mitchell and controlling the Senate. That doesn't mean it will go down that way, but those are my priorities.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:18 pm

How about a "bump" for Tim Russell?;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:If Barrett doesn't win, do you think Mitchell will? Otherwise, we might end up with Governor Kleefisch (shudder).

You seriously fear this? In my mind this is the best train wreck money can (and did) buy!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:48 pm

I can't wait for Governor Rebecca "For Real" Kleefisch.

She is going to fuck up spectacularly. She'll go down in history as the dumbest Governor ever, at least in the minds of Democrats. Republicans seem hell bent on following all these heroes over a cliff or two, or a hundred, so I expect Becky will be worshiped to no end.

We're in for a good show.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Scott Fitzgerald will just tell her everything he wants her to do, and then he'll run for the governorship in the next round.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I hope Romney comes for a quick man hug with Scotty before the indictments are handed down.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:33 pm

So what's new? How's the probe going? Has it made another move?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Meade wrote:So what's new? How's the probe going? Has it made another move?

Those bootstraps don't pull themselves.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Thank you. But I had already googled for myself and found what you found - nothing new since election day.

Oh well, I'm sure you'll be frog-marching him to jail very very soon.

Carry on.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government